Alienware Tempts Gamers To Master Race With $200 Console Trade-Ins

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Alienware Tempts Gamers To Master Race With $200 Console Trade-Ins

Alienware is offering a promotion where gamers can trade in an old Xbox 360 or PS3 for $200 cash-back on any Alienware purchase.

With the next-generation of consoles just around the corner, PC manufacturer Alienware has decided to jump in on those looking to upgrade by asking "why not PC?" The company's $200 cash-back program, which previously only applied to used PC hardware, has now been extended to include the Xbox 360 and PS3. That means if you buy an Alienware PC or laptop, you can send in your old console and get $200 cold, hard, cash. Not bad, considering a brand new PS3 costs around $270.

To be eligible for the program, gamers must first purchase a piece of Alienware hardware, then go to this website [http://www.alienware.com/Landings/trade.aspx?dgc=BA&cid=266740&lid=4859195&acd=1230918396936019], where they will enter in some information (including the receipt number) and get a quote.

Players then log into the Alienware Trade Website, enter their bank account information, ship their trade-in console or PC to Alienware, and then sit back and wait for the cash to arrive. Alienware notes on the site that it could take up to 40 days for the trade-in cash to appear in users' accounts.

It's a pretty good deal, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a better trade-in offer for your old console. However, Alienware computers have historically known to be quite overpriced. I would shy away from its desktops (as there are much cheaper options out there) and simply take a look at the gaming laptops it has available.

Source: Alienware [http://www.alienware.com/Landings/trade.aspx?dgc=BA&cid=266740&lid=4859195&acd=1230918396936019]

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Woah! This makes Alienwares almost sort of not really reasonably priced! And you only have to give up your console, along with your entire library for it because without your old console the only way you'll ever be able to play those games again is if you get another console at which point we're pretty much right back where we started anyway.

Hurray!

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
ohnoitsabear said:
Woah! This makes Alienwares almost sort of not really reasonably priced! And you only have to give up your console, along with your entire library for it because without your old console the only way you'll ever be able to play those games again is if you get another console at which point we're pretty much right back where we started anyway.

Hurray!
This is actually a pretty good deal. Because let's be honest. After the Xbone or PS4 comes out. You can get the Xbox 360 or PS3 for near dirt cheap.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009

However, Alienware is overpriced for the power it gives. If you need a laptop, I would suggest ASUS (Windows 7, if you can find it), if you want a desktop, building one is both cheaper and easier than you think.

It's just a bit time consuming.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
ok, so are they giveing you actual money you can take to go buy something somwere else, or is it credit you can use to buy an alienware computer?

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
Still better than what you'll get from gamestop. Still doesn't make an ailenware a 'good deal' but it'll take the sting out of the purchase I suppose... then again there's always newegg.com rendering the whole business moot.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
so I did some googling around, and I've concluded that I can find a steady stream of xbox 360s for more or less 100 bucks (mostly less or right on the money) in craigslist/amazon/ebay

a 50% off alienware PC IS better-priced than a personalized PC

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
FogHornG36 said:
ok, so are they giveing you actual money you can take to go buy something somwere else, or is it credit you can use to buy an alienware computer?
Think about how business works for a couple minutes, you'll figure it out.

OT: I don't think it'll take off. Alienware is notoriously overpriced (I'd know, I bought one) and you cut yourself off from your whole console library. Not very likely.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Eh, no thanks. I'm happy with my consoles. I want to get a gaming rig eventually, but Alienware is apparently both underpowered and overpriced.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
Eh, no thanks. I'm happy with my consoles. I want to get a gaming rig eventually, but Alienware is apparently both underpowered and overpriced.
Who told you they're underpowered? Maybe they've gone downhill since I bought one.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
FogHornG36 said:
Here's how it works:

You buy an alienware computer

You send them your xbox/ps3

They deposit ACTUAL MONEY into your bank account. Not store credit

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The problem is that Alienware tends to sell ridiculously-overclocked midrange PCs with a $400 alien sticker on them. But if you want to get into PC gaming, have no more use for your console and don't want to try your hand at building a computer yourself... well, maybe you should learn how. (Or trade the console to a computer-savvy friend as payment for him/her/it doing the building for you.)

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Mahorfeus said:
Underpowered? No, they use some of the best components for their builds. However, you can get the same hardware for half the price if you build yourself or even buy a rig in a decent store.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Even though I dont play my 360 that much anymore... that aint worth it for an overpriced computer like Alienware. I have a lot of games that would probably cost 200+, so its not really that much of a deal.

Though it was a good idea.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
ohnoitsabear said:

Hurray!
Sounds like a good deal to me, especially if your xbox 360 is red ringed and sitting in your closet.

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
Not G. Ivingname said:

However, Alienware is overpriced for the power it gives. If you need a laptop, I would suggest ASUS (Windows 7, if you can find it), if you want a desktop, building one is both cheaper and easier than you think.

It's just a bit time consuming.
Why would you even opt for Windows 7, given the performance boost Windows 8 gives?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Way to shill, Escapist.

Seriously though, I wouldn't one of these pieces of garbage in my home if they paid me $200. I'll keep my PS3 for when I want to nostalgia trip 15 years down the line.

ItsNotRudy said:
Why would you even opt for Windows 7, given the performance boost Windows 8 gives?
Because the User Interface is hands down the most disgusting one ever conceived in a PC? Because this is a gaming website, and gamers might take umbrage to the second Windows OS that games developers have actively opted out of developing for?

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
lacktheknack said:
FogHornG36 said:
Think about how business works for a couple minutes, you'll figure it out.

OT: I don't think it'll take off. Alienware is notoriously overpriced (I'd know, I bought one) and you cut yourself off from your whole console library. Not very likely.
wow, thanks for the worthless answer, I would have never though to "Think about it" or "figure it out"

Luckily someone else answered with the actual answer.