Alienware Tempts Gamers To Master Race With $200 Console Trade-Ins

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
As an exclusively PC gamer, oh sorry, I meant a card carrying member of the "PC Master Race", my aren't thinly veiled comparisons to the Nazis fun, I have to agree with the brunt of commenters here and say Alienware is overpriced and over-hyped. I disagree their systems are garbage, but even a person with mediocre computer skills can follow instructions and build their own just as good system for a substantially smaller build price. Alienware is the "Starbucks" of the computing world.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Holy shit, Alienware is overpriced?! Alert the fucking media.

Pardon the flip out, but I'm seriously tired of the predictable backlash that arises in every Alienware thread.

It's a luxury brand. Those who purchase Alienware machines know this. They don't care if someone else can build the same thing for two thirds the price. They know they are paying a premium for style, service, convenience, etc. Alienware is not a predatory business model. They provide a certain level of polish, performance, and service at a price the market can obviously bear. Continually harping on it, as consistently happens in these threads, seems kinda pathetic.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
FieryTrainwreck said:

Pardon the flip out, but I'm seriously tired of the predictable backlash that arises in every Alienware thread.

It's a luxury brand. Those who purchase Alienware machines know this. They don't care if someone else can build the same thing for two thirds the price. They know they are paying a premium for style, service, convenience, etc. Alienware is not a predatory business model. They provide a certain level of polish, performance, and service at a price the market can obviously bear. Continually harping on it, as consistently happens in these threads, seems kinda pathetic.
I can think of one reason for the complaining. Considering many people are uninformed about the true cost of gaming on PC's, looking at Alienware, the most well-known brand in PC gaming (I'd say), can make people think that gaming PC's cost $2000+, when in reality you can game on a PC for $600. Then these people get either A: Turned off from the cost of PC gaming or B: Bring up these bloated prices when arguing about PC's; both of which are not helpful to anyone. I don't hate them per say, but they create many misconceptions about the platform... although that's not really alienware's fault, that's dumb people's fault.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I have Alienware. It was a deliberate splurge. However, in no way does this replace my consoles. The truth is that there are some things I'd rather do with a console, period.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
clippen05 said:
FieryTrainwreck said:

I can think of one reason for the complaining. Considering many people are uninformed about the true cost of gaming on PC's, looking at Alienware, the most well-known brand in PC gaming (I'd say), can make people think that gaming PC's cost $2000+, when in reality you can game on a PC for $600. Then these people get either A: Turned off from the cost of PC gaming or B: Bring up these bloated prices when arguing about PC's; both of which are not helpful to anyone. I don't hate them per say, but they create many misconceptions about the platform... although that's not really alienware's fault, that's dumb people's fault.
That's kinda like blaming BMW for making everyone think cars cost 60k, but I see your point, too.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Alienware is very expensive. You just pay extra for the brand and the "look" of it.

If you want to trade it your console for a PC you're better off buying individual parts.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
FieryTrainwreck said:
clippen05 said:
FieryTrainwreck said:

That's kinda like blaming BMW for making everyone think cars cost 60k, but I see your point, too.
Well no, it's more like if BMW charged 60k for what was actually a Ford Mondeo with a BMW body and badge.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Ignoring the Alienware overpriced argument, if you actually look at the website, the consoles available for this are actually somewhat limited.

It seems any Wii will do so long as its operational, but the other two consoles must come with a sizable hard drive (for the model) to qualify. And for the 360, the deal only works if you have the "slim" model. As the size of the hard drive is a lot of what drives up the cost of the consoles, its not even as good of a deal as it initially seemed, which wasn't all that great.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I would say I was vaguely interested, but it's not available in the UK shop, I cannot speak for other countries, but I would not be surprised if this was US only.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
DarkhoIlow said:
Alienware is very expensive. You just pay extra for the brand and the "look" of it.
And the service. I think people who dismiss Alienware as overpriced with no redeeming features are ignorant to the fact they're decent machines with minimal effort and great customer service and warranties, for those who are prepared to give up their money rather than their time.

Also in this topic: Lots of reasons why 'console scrubs' dont make the leap. To elaborate, the escapist usually: 'Sell your console and buy a PC!'

The escapist when a company offers a promotion doing this: 'Oh no, not from them. You're doing it wrong. Keep your console.'

This promotion is a great entry step for people who want to make the leap from consoles to PCs. They're already used to paying for overpriced hardware, and this lets them get in so they can learn the ins and outs of PC gaming, without being put off by the prospect of either building a PC, or talking to a PC building fanatic. Seriously. Its easy if you know how, its just sort of off putting if you're clueless. People forget when you're in the dark, lots of these basic bits and pieces are daunting.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Elijin said:
DarkhoIlow said:
And the service. I think people who dismiss Alienware as overpriced with no redeeming features are ignorant to the fact they're decent machines with minimal effort and great customer service and warranties, for those who are prepared to give up their money rather than their time.

Also in this topic: Lots of reasons why 'console scrubs' dont make the leap. To elaborate, the escapist usually: 'Sell your console and buy a PC!'

The escapist when a company offers a promotion doing this: 'Oh no, not from them. You're doing it wrong. Keep your console.'

This promotion is a great entry step for people who want to make the leap from consoles to PCs. They're already used to paying for overpriced hardware, and this lets them get in so they can learn the ins and outs of PC gaming, without being put off by the prospect of either building a PC, or talking to a PC building fanatic. Seriously. Its easy if you know how, its just sort of off putting if you're clueless. People forget when you're in the dark, lots of these basic bits and pieces are daunting.
While what you say is true, you don't have to talk to a "PC building fanatic" to get someone to help you get and set up a rig, I know children who've built computers, hell I've been building PCs since I was 13, know how the process went? See motherboard, look at the basic description(DDR3, socket(insert socket here) hmm I want a video card, well that one's like $100-$150, has a fan on it, probably a decent card, Case check, power requirements on parts say it needs at least 500w, get a 600w just incase, bam $500 computer. Assembly? Shit even back when I started 14 years ago, there are manuals with very clear illustrated instructions, now, EVERYTHING is labeled and colour coded and shit, it's easier to put together than lego, drivers come with parts, and updating them nowadays is so simple it's crazy.

Most of the people I know know how to build computers, a good deal of them are older people, and a bunch of partiers, people who you wouldn't expect, I only have like 4 people in my circle of friends who would be considered tech geeks, or even gamers, so yeah, not hard, not hard at all, and even then most people know at least one person who's got some tech skills, and if they don't personally, most of the time one of your friends has a family member who can do it.

I know most of this isn't widely understood, or accepted, due to the arguments I've seen, maybe outside of Canada people don't know shit about computers? I highly doubt that, I mean look at ALL of the tech firms everywhere, hightech industry is massive.

Just saying, most of the arguments I see are blatant cop outs by people who are too lazy to learn to even ask someone about it, they like consoles because it's all they've ever known, and for whatever reason see PCs as some alien thing that's hard to comprehend, when in reality, windows OS' have been simple to use and generally extremely user friendly since like XP service pack 1, moreso 2, cuz they fixed a lot of issues that caused errors with hardware incompatibility and shit.

With windows 7 or 8, you can just start using it, hell if you can use an android phone, or know how to use a computer for ANYTHING, you can become a pc gamer, just gotta spend like 15 minutes on the internet looking at parts in an online catalogue, takes like 20 minutes for me to build a computer and install the OS and maybe another 10 to configure it, so for someone unused to it, maybe 1.5 hours tops for assembly and installation. not a huge time investment considering the benefits, I mean when you look at a games library like mine and assess it at console prices, it should've cost me like even with sale prices, like $12,000, when in reality, due to the wonders of pc game prices the frequency of sales, it's closer to like $1500, to clarify I have a library of over 600 titles, roughly 400-450 of them are recent titles that I've bought shortly after release over the course of the last console generation.

I've only had to upgrade my PC once in that time, and that upgrade cost me $150, so for the purposes of general comparison, for the price I payed, due to the old pricing of pc parts being higher than it is now, a PC I built last year when I ditched my old rig along with the rest of my stuff and moved across Canada taking almost nothing with me, cost me $400 including taxes, shipping, shipping insurance, all that shit, I already had an OS, so say you add Windows 7 64bit OEM for like $120, so $520 Canadian, and it'll play ANYTHING on the market, previous PC cost me like $600, with $150 for a new video card, so $750 in total, and I'd still be using it if I hadn't had to leave it behind. If I had purchased an Xbox 360, and like 30 games, I'd have spent the SAME MONEY, instead I had a bitchin gaming rig and like 400 games. that was when it was more prohibitively priced. Now, if you spend $750 on a pc, it'll be a pretty damn beastly machine if you homebuild, take almost no time to research the build and figure out what you need to buy, and take almost no time to assemble, plus if that leaves you drained for cash and unable to buy games, the sheer number of free games that you can download and play completely legally, is staggering, a bunch of them suck, but now there's so many of them that are pretty damn decent, that it's actually a completely viable option.

Times have changed a lot, thing is though, people haven't realized it yet, that's all.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I didnt say it was hard. I said it was daunting. Like a lot of new skills, when you first look into it, its easy to fall into the trap of going 'woah, what is all this about? I have to do what now? Im not sure about this, I will do it later. Or maybe not at all.'

And laziness is a HUGE factor. You're comparing buying something out of the box where the effort culminates in 'taking it out of the box and plugging it in' with the occasional 'press a button to let it update itself' to building something yourself. Which involves taking the time to research and buy separate components, and then work out how the go together.

Which is why Im saying these deals are neat. They get people engaged in the platform, without the original hurdle. And once they're more invested in their PC library and tweaking their computers, they're less likely to be scared off by the unknown or effort involved.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Helpful hint for anyone wishing to join the PC crowd:
Build your own PC. You'll save a lot of money and have full reign over what goes into your rig.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
Buying Alienware would be such a money sink. If you don't know how to build a PC this is what you do: pay a "certified" professional like myself to build you a gaming rig. It would have a clean Operating System and great boards (MSI/ Asus)

Or you could buy a great PC from one of these companies.

http://www.maingear.com/

http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=2

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Would be a good idea if you were looking to sell your systems. Better than taking your stuff to GameStop and getting super lowballed. I like how they'll buy crap from you for such low offers, then go and resell it for 800% + markups. I don't sell them anything out of spite. I either give it to friends or just keep it.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
ItsNotRudy said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

However, Alienware is overpriced for the power it gives. If you need a laptop, I would suggest ASUS (Windows 7, if you can find it), if you want a desktop, building one is both cheaper and easier than you think.

It's just a bit time consuming.
Why would you even opt for Windows 7, given the performance boost Windows 8 gives?
I am currently using Windows 8. It has so many annoyances (automatic updates that can't be delayed, changed, or otherwise stopped, bad user interface, focus on touch screens even on models that don't have a touch screen, etc.) that unless it gives a massive boost to power, I wouldn't say it's worth it.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
So, for the price of a console, you can get an Alienware for maybe a 10% lower parts markup (on their lowest-end systems)? Consider my intelligence insulted.