Alienware Tempts Gamers To Master Race With $200 Console Trade-Ins

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
Not G. Ivingname said:
ItsNotRudy said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

However, Alienware is overpriced for the power it gives. If you need a laptop, I would suggest ASUS (Windows 7, if you can find it), if you want a desktop, building one is both cheaper and easier than you think.

It's just a bit time consuming.
Why would you even opt for Windows 7, given the performance boost Windows 8 gives?
I am currently using Windows 8. It has so many annoyances (automatic updates that can't be delayed, changed, or otherwise stopped, bad user interface, focus on touch screens even on models that don't have a touch screen, etc.) that unless it gives a massive boost to power, I wouldn't say it's worth it.
So purely out of personal dislike for part of the UI (the desktop area is still very much like Windows 7 and the only thing you have to go into the Metro UI for is searching) you would tell others to forfeit the very real increase in performance? The updates complaint is nonsense by the way:

Which is the same set of options you get in Windows 7. I have about 22 updates pending and I am only reminded of this at the login screen.

Also, with Start8 you can disable Metro and bring back an improved Windows 7 start menu:

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
ItsNotRudy said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
ItsNotRudy said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

However, Alienware is overpriced for the power it gives. If you need a laptop, I would suggest ASUS (Windows 7, if you can find it), if you want a desktop, building one is both cheaper and easier than you think.

It's just a bit time consuming.
Why would you even opt for Windows 7, given the performance boost Windows 8 gives?
I am currently using Windows 8. It has so many annoyances (automatic updates that can't be delayed, changed, or otherwise stopped, bad user interface, focus on touch screens even on models that don't have a touch screen, etc.) that unless it gives a massive boost to power, I wouldn't say it's worth it.
So purely out of personal dislike for part of the UI (the desktop area is still very much like Windows 7 and the only thing you have to go into the Metro UI for is searching) you would tell others to forfeit the very real increase in performance? The updates complaint is nonsense by the way:

Which is the same set of options you get in Windows 7. I have about 22 updates pending and I am only reminded of this at the login screen.

Also, with Start8 you can disable Metro and bring back an improved Windows 7 start menu:

One should not have to mod the OS to bring back a standard feature from the past decade worth of operating systems that have become integral in it's use.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
This offer pisses me off purely on principal because it seems to be feeding off this bullshit notion that you have to be either a "PC gamer" or a "console gamer". Personally I have both, and I don't see what's wrong with that.

EDIT:
Houseman said:
The "build your own for cheaper" argument/taunt also applies to car ownership. How many car-buyers have used that argument/taunt on lately?
Really? Are you actually trying to say that building a car from scratch is comparable to building a PC? Because it really, really isn't. One requires lots of heavy lifting and significant technical knowledge, the other is a very expensive Lego kit with about 10 pieces that requires very little effort and not that much time.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
I am a PC gamer, and yes it's an amazing platform, but know what it can't do? Play Red Dead Redemption.
I wish it could, so I would not need a PS3, but it can't so I have to keep it.

Same reason I won't toss away my old N64, it has Conker's bad fur day.

Also, what confuses me is what you are supposed to do with all your games. If you have PS3 or 360, you sure as hell have games for it. Do they take these as well, or are you supposed to sell that to others? But if everyone did this there would be no one to sell them to...wut?
As far as I know, PS4/Xone does not have backwards compatibility, so that won't work either.

People I know tend to keep their consoles until they break. They did not get rid of their SNES since something better came.
Know why? Cause you can't play Mickey Mouse: Great Circus Mystery on a N64!

Exclusives people, that's what it's all about.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Cecilo said:
ohnoitsabear said:
Woah! This makes Alienwares almost sort of not really reasonably priced! And you only have to give up your console, along with your entire library for it because without your old console the only way you'll ever be able to play those games again is if you get another console at which point we're pretty much right back where we started anyway.

Hurray!
This is actually a pretty good deal. Because let's be honest. After the Xbone or PS4 comes out. You can get the Xbox 360 or PS3 for near dirt cheap.
A whole two hundred bucks? With the thousands of dollars an Alienware costs, to me $200 is a spit in a bucket, no matter how cheap the console.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
A couple things not covered here:

1. They only accept XBOX 360 "slims" not the older styles.
2. No matter what size HDD your PS3 has, the cash value is exactly the same.
3. Wii also nets you $200

Also the reason I dislike Alienware is because I had a few friends work for them prior to the DELL acquisition, and they all have stated the quality of product is significantly less since DELL bought out AW. This comes from DELL's business model of using lower quality parts for "high end" machines. The power may be there, but the parts are generally crap compared to what you could self-build (or pay a techie friend who knows what he/she is doing).
Its really not worth getting rid of your old console, especially so that you can wait about 6-8 weeks for DELL to reimburse you. Unless you're really sick of consoles and don't own a PC, are too busy, lazy or whatever to build one (or have it built) then I guess you can go ahead and buy an Alienware, assuming you can afford it. Because you won't be seeing that $200 before your purchase.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
ohnoitsabear said:
Woah! This makes Alienwares almost sort of not really reasonably priced! And you only have to give up your console, along with your entire library for it because without your old console the only way you'll ever be able to play those games again is if you get another console at which point we're pretty much right back where we started anyway.

Hurray!
Sounds like a good deal to me, especially if your xbox 360 is red ringed and sitting in your closet.
According to the AW trade-in, a non-working console is worth $0. So not a good deal at all.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Seriously, can we stop with this "PC Master Race" shit? Who gives a fuck who plays what on what platform anymore?!

More in line with the topic, I'll stick with my custom rig, thanks.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Houseman said:
Everybody talks about "building your own for cheaper", but does this still apply for laptops? Who here has built their own gaming laptop?
Laptop gaming master race unite!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Houseman said:
Everybody talks about "building your own for cheaper", but does this still apply for laptops? Who here has built their own gaming laptop?

The "build your own for cheaper" argument/taunt also applies to car ownership. How many car-buyers have used that argument/taunt on lately?
While i havent built a gaming laptop from scratch, i have dissasembled and reassembled a few, and changed a few parts in the progress. You CAN do it, but it is harder as unlike in desktops, here you actually have to think whether it will fit inside the case, as you have far less space, and also the heating problems from wrong builds wont be solved by putting in better fans either. but technically yes, you can do it, its just.... pointless.
and that is because if you want a gaming rig - build a desktop. you will end up having more power for half the price. laptops really arent meant for gaming. unless what you game is either old titles or the casual/indie (for lack of better way to name them) titles that dont require much power. AAA games? you have to really know what your doing to run them on laptop (and bonus points if you dont get burns from the GPU heat!)
So if your going gaming i suggest you build a tower. while you definitely CAN build a laptop, there is no point doing so unless you got a very specific situation where you are always traveling with limited space ect.

And your comparison does not work. If building your own car would be as easy as buying 10 parts, all of which are standart and interchangable as far as manufacturers goes, and could put it in 15 minutes without any heavy lifting. yes, sure it would apply. however right now you cant do that with cars right? so this argument is false equivalence.