All Electronics Banned On International Flights Into U.S.

King7s

Dec 13, 2009
so many of you are complaining about how stupid this idea is but all it shows is how connected you all are to technology and how you can't sit still for a couple of hours and i would probably kill myself if i had to deal with that to but think about it in one way or another this will disable international terrorists, but istill say you should jut nuke the fuck out of the middle eastern countries in turmoil until its so bad that bethesda makes fallout 4 based in the middle east.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
That is such god damn bullshit. I'm really glad that I don't have to fly to the US and flying I do is to countries that don't have such stupid rules.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I need better answers. The Escapist's source here says nothing about banning all electronics and then the TSA's website addresses none of this.
http://www.tsa.gov/index.shtm

Either there's something they're not telling us or this is just shitty journalism.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
King7s said:
but istill say you should jut nuke the fuck out of the middle eastern countries in turmoil until its so bad that bethesda makes fallout 4 based in the middle east.
Umm yeah he came from Nigeria, unless my geography is WAY off, thats not in the middle east.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
GodsAndFishes said:
King7s said:
but istill say you should jut nuke the fuck out of the middle eastern countries in turmoil until its so bad that bethesda makes fallout 4 based in the middle east.
Umm yeah he came from Nigeria, unless my geography is WAY off, thats not in the middle east.
In American, Middle-East automatically translates to "where terrorists live". It could be a British, Chinese, or even Eskimo terrorist and he'd still talk about the Middle-East.

EDIT: I'm American. So I can make fun of us.

Skuffyshootster

Jan 13, 2009
Simalacrum said:
its in times like these that I remember the saying "the terrorists have already won when we take away our own liberties"...
That's...brilliant, actually. Someone should forward that to the Secretary of Transportation.

OT: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
I could only guess what that board meeting was like
"we're going to have to do something about 'the terrorist', anyone got an idea?" says the boss, and then the idiot they put on the board for no good reason goes "I say no more in flight movies" he is then given a raise up to 2 hyperbazillion dollars per week and they put the plan in action.
but this is what saddens me about my country: when one person fucks up, they punish all 308,250,000 of us, and people over seas. for the escapists who don't live in the united states, count your blessing you're not hearing this stuff every day

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
"Wait... there's something in this man's chest. It's a pacemaker! Quick! Take it out!"

Yeah, that'll go over real well. Anyways, I read that these restrictions have been lifted for the sake of business travelers, but at the personal discretion of the captain may you keep pillows and blankets on. That's it. You're allowed to have electronics.

darthzew said:
GodsAndFishes said:
King7s said:
In American, Middle-East automatically translates to "where terrorists live". It could be a British, Chinese, or even Eskimo terrorist and he'd still talk about the Middle-East.
The Eskimos are the worst...

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Mr. Grey said:
"Wait... there's something in this man's chest. It's a pacemaker! Quick! Take it out!"

Yeah, that'll go over real well. Anyways, I read that these restrictions have been lifted for the sake of business travelers, but at the personal discretion of the captain may you keep pillows and blankets on. That's it. You're allowed to have electronics.

darthzew said:
GodsAndFishes said:
King7s said:
The Eskimos are the worst...
Middle-Eastern bastards!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
King7s said:
so many of you are complaining about how stupid this idea is but all it shows is how connected you all are to technology and how you can't sit still for a couple of hours and i would probably kill myself if i had to deal with that to but think about it in one way or another this will disable international terrorists, but istill say you should jut nuke the fuck out of the middle eastern countries in turmoil until its so bad that bethesda makes fallout 4 based in the middle east.
Internet Tough Guy+Criminally uninformed opinion=Profit?

anything576

Aug 12, 2008
Zaleznikel said:
When did it go from this:

The Economist said:
The most ridiculous new rule prohibits passengers on US-bound international flights from leaving their seats or having anything on their laps?even a laptop or a pillow?during the final hour of flight.
to this:

The Escapist said:
has banned all electronics on international flights into the country.
I've been trying to figure it out. Your source isn't covering what you say, and the closest I've seen is no electronics on an hour long flight from Canada.

In fact, according to CBS news, these measures have been eased already [http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/28/national/main6030609.shtml]

So Escapist, please show me a better source. This kind of flashy writing is upsetting and does not do anything but rile people up.
This post. While I don't agree with restricting electronics, source never did mention anywhere about banning electronics for the whole flight, only the 1st hour.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Amnestic said:
King7s said:
Internet Tough Guy+Criminally uninformed opinion=Profit?
It took me a while to actually manage to read that post. I miss the days when punctuation was in vogue.

Besides that, a Fallout in the Middle East would lack the emotional impact that for example the one in DC had. A lot of that came from seeing the familiar city scape in ruins.
My preconceived (and most likely wrong) ideas about the Middle East say it's all a dessert. So when playing it I would be thinking: 'So, what has changed?'
What I mean is, my prejudices would work against the game and prevent immersion in the game world. :)

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Hell, why don't they just require us to fly naked and chained to our seats? Sounds like it's time for the airlines to tell the TSA to go frak themselves. I mean, if all the big airlines decide to break the rules at once, what the hell are they gonna do about it? Besides get angry. Frankly, the TSA is becoming as big a group of reactionary idiots as the BATF, and those jokers get no respect.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Amnestic said:
If Mr Nigerian General Terrorist guy had gone into the bathroom to light his crotch on fire, would they ban all passengers from using the toilets as well?

Seriously: Fuck you TSA. Your retarded antics are putting me off flying to the U.S. Why don't you just sedate all the passengers for the entire flight?

Actually, it'd make those ten hours wizz by. Not a bad plan...
A la Fifth element, that would be awesome.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
What's next? Banning foreigners on international flights? Yes, I can already see it! Want to go to the US? Take a transoceanic boat trip!

Or fly to Canada and drive down...

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
What? That's just retarded. I'm glad I don't fly. I prefer the rails, anyway.

New hot trend of 2010: Air traffic down, train and ship traffic up. Experts cite new rules on air travel as possible cause.

Not Gonna Get Me

Feb 27, 2009
I still can't see how you got this piece of information, because nothing in your source tells me that they have banned in-flight movies and electronics during the whole flight. I even Ctrl-F-ed the article on the word "electronics" , but didn't show anything. Prove me if I'm wrong, maybe it's just me reading articles 15 minutes after waking up .