All Electronics Banned On International Flights Into U.S.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
All Electronics Banned On International Flights Into U.S.

In a reactionary move to the Flight 253 bomber, the Transportation Security Administration in the U.S. has banned all electronics on international flights into the country.

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab screwed us all over when he tried to blow up Northwest Flight 253 to Detroit. The Transportation Security Agency has "stepped up security" by disallowing electronics on board international flights into the U.S. This includes the in-flight movie systems as well; the TSA instructed the airlines to disconnect them. Other restrictions were implemented, such as keeping passengers in their seats for the final hour of the flight and not allowing you to have a pillow or blanket covering your lap. There is no word on how long these restrictions will be in place.

Many have spoken out against these kinds of rules, stating that they are mostly for show and do nothing to actually prevent terrorism. Bruce Schneier, a security expert, has said, "Only two things have made flying safer [since 9/11]: the reinforcement of cockpit doors, and the fact that passengers know now to resist hijackers." The mere fact that passengers are now encouraged to stay in their seats means that the rules the TSA enforces might actually help terrorists.

No electronics on flights? What? What about the pilot? Is he supposed to fly the plane without electronics?

I realize that security is important but sometimes the costs are too high [http://www.falsegravity.com/?p=135]. Not letting people play games on a 10 hour flight just blows, and makes people pissed off. It's enough to actually make someone want to blow up TSA.

I'm repeating a joke by Schneier, the security guy, but it's true: "I wish that, just once, some terrorist would try something that you can only foil by upgrading the passengers to first class and giving them free drinks."

I'll drink to that, Mr. Schneier.

Source: Economist [http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2009/12/the_latest_on_flight_253?source=hptextfeature]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/nostri-imago/3516230041/])

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
God flight security is going to be a pain... Good that I'm not intending to fly to the U.S any time soon though.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
If Mr Nigerian General Terrorist guy had gone into the bathroom to light his crotch on fire, would they ban all passengers from using the toilets as well?

Seriously: Fuck you TSA. Your retarded antics are putting me off flying to the U.S. Why don't you just sedate all the passengers for the entire flight?

Actually, it'd make those ten hours wizz by. Not a bad plan...

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Amnestic said:
If Mr Nigerian General Terrorist guy had gone into the bathroom to light his crotch on fire, would they ban all passengers from using the toilets as well?

Seriously: Fuck you TSA. Your retarded antics are putting me off flying to the U.S. Why don't you just sedate all the passengers for the entire flight?

On other news ... Pilot who may have had too much of the happiness dose crashes plane into the Eiffel tower. France goes to WAR! (against happiness).

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
Amnestic said:
If Mr Nigerian General Why don't you just sedate all the passengers for the entire flight?

I love it! Great plan and if they don't want to be sedated accuse them of being a terrorist and arrest them.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Waaaaait a second!
What the Feth am I supposed to do on a plane journey now?!!
I can read a book, sure, but only for so long!
Now I won't be able to use my new Archos...

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
How the hell does this make me feel any safer next time I go on a plane?

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Okay so if your sitting on a plane 10,000 feet in the sky and you feel a little cold you can't use a blanket anymore.

The best thing they could do is

Not let anyone get out on-board cargo after say an hour into the flight.

What the hell is a terrorist gonna do with the in-flight movies....show a Uwe Boll movie or something, cos that sure as hell would scare me.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Good thing I will never visit America. Ever.

Hm... They may be on to something...

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
You won't be allowed books on planes in case the edges are sharp enough to poke the air crew in the eye, allowing you to take control.

I'd have to agree with the comment that these kinds of things aren't going to stop terrorism, if someone is determined to hijack a plane then they would happily hide a ceramic AK47 up their bum to get it onboard.

Next you will have to remove all of your clothes so you don't hide anything under them, and have to have a cavity search before boarding as well as a detailed interrogation. So whilst everyone is having a crappy time trying to fly around, terrorists will be hijacking desert buses and forcing everyone on board to sing Tucson or Bust repeatedly.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, now I don't want to leave the US.

I need my DS to breathe. It's connected to my lungs.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
You hear that dull thudding noise? Thats me beating my head against the desk at the stupidity of some officials.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Wow this is dumb,

1) I already can't bring a bottle of water on the plane, even an empty bottle.

2) I had to change my passport for 'security' reasons

Now I can't watch the in flight movie?? Driving and boats are the way to go now.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
CrazyHaircut94 said:
Good thing I will never visit America. Ever.

Hm... They may be on to something...
That image was the first thing to my mind as well.

Damn, long fights without my iPod, that's gonna blow

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
And how, exactly, deactivating the in-flight movie systems will help fight terrorism? I fail to see any reason to it, logical or not. What terrorists could possibly do with them?!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
its in times like these that I remember the saying "the terrorists have already won when we take away our own liberties"...

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
making people sit there without electronics is gonna make them more jumpy cause they realise whats going on more...surely this is just making passengers more and more unhappy...

its the whole gamers being punished cause of pirates except people are being punished for terrorists...

also, love the sedating idea.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Nexus Zef said:
Next you will have to remove all of your clothes so you don't hide anything under them, and have to have a cavity search before boarding
They already have new scanners that see under your clothing and show you nude.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Once again a Government fights terrorism by a series of useless and unessescary rule that only affect the law abiding citizen, and wont really hurt a determined terrorist's chances.
ANd how the hell is stopping the inflight movie going to help anything?