All Female A-Force Replaces The Avengers

Jarek Mace

Jun 8, 2009
Zefar said:
Avaholic03 said:
Wow it's amazing how all those women have pretty much the exact same body type. Every color of the rainbow with pretty much every super power imaginable...but all the same build. Yay diversity!!
To be fair, if a person is running around and punching bad guys all day long you are bound to get that body. You can't stay fat the entire time unless your power was about being fat.

As for this comic. If they manage to fix all the problems the males started without their help it would be a bit silly.
Reminds me of a screen cap I saw a while back. It was a drawing of a fat girl and thin girl with the line "You only live once, blabla, enjoy your body". The SJW's felt this wasn't far enough and said:

-Where is the black girl?
-Where is the asian girl?
-Why not dwarfism?
-Why not ugly?
-Why not amputee?
-Etc

This is just one step back. I dunno, why the fuck don't we see a bunch of super-powered obese men? Or that many super thin guys? (Other than like, fuckin' elastic man)
We get a variation of Athletic to big built in male superheroes.

Honestly, this will be a game of diversity that Marvel has started but will never win, because the SJW's will only rest once 50% of the superhero base are black, female, Muslim but jewish but buddhist vegan squirrel-kin who is sexual but not sexualised, is more powerful than any other hero and flies around the world solving everything for ever. If she gets struck by a man, that's rape and the comic should be burned.

Exaggeration, maybe, but that's how it feels.

Jarek Mace

Jun 8, 2009
ryukage_sama said:
Lightknight said:
Catering to just under half of your consumer demographic is not smart business. Especially not at the cost of the other half. Catering to all of them is.

. . .

What we do know are legitimate studies that come from the studios themselves. For example:

http://comicsalliance.com/dc-comics-readers-survey-reports-new-52-readership-93-male/

That found that of the readers enjoying the new 52, 93% of them were male. This flies in the face of the facebook survey results but was released by DC as valid.
1st, having one comic series that caters to a certain demographic isn't a poor business model. Marvel published dozens of series which cater to different minorities within their fanbase.

2nd, The Nielsen study you linked to demonstrates that comic publishers desperately NEED to do something to reach additional readers. The female readership numbers I referred to might be off, but that doesn't diminish the strength of their strategy of diversifying their reader base.
No, but blowing the brains out of a major comic book series and replacing it with a half-arsed, almost insulting and infant school level "Boys smell, girls r best" mentality is insulting to fans, men, and women. It's not diversification, it's a fucking publicity stunt to exploit radfem and SJW for a few bucks before switching it out to what it was before.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Lightknight said:
Not necessarily regarding action comics as much. See, men and women have different tastes in the media we consume. Young males are much more likely to prefer action flicks and other generally violent films while women seem to prefer more dramatic movies and romance. This is true in film, literature and even video games. It likely translates into comics.

So trying to pursue female readers in action-esque comics may be a bad idea or at least not as worth the effort as creating other series that are built from the ground up to cater to women while just making the action genre comics more female friendly (no reason why there should just be a token female on a team of five when there could be two or three instead).

So if you assume that men and women are exactly alike then you'd be right. But we aren't. Neither is better than the other but we absolutely express differences over a wide range of subjects. That's just the nature of a sexually dimorphic species and isn't bad.

3. Also no. If your consumer base is something crazy like 93% male you don't do something drastic to cater to the 7% at the expense of the 93%. You make other changes to continue catering to the 93% while making the environment more friendly for the market you're trying to expand. That's good business.

The thing is though, I'll likely enjoy this series. I just don't think it's entirely ethical to support sexist actions. Sexism isn't a just tool to use against sexism. Equality is.
I don't think Marvel is trying to cater to people, men or women, who don't like action: action comics, action movies, whatever. But establishing the sex of the lead cast as all male or all female does work to draw an audience who wants that "all-_______ team". The female comic readers amongst my friends have lamented that they don't have that female led, female supported, female directed comic vehicle. It's been done from time-to-time, but not in any consistent and ongoing way, with probably DC being better about it than Marvel. Xena: Warrior Princess had (has?) an ardent female fanbase who loved having a female action heroine, and accompanying female sidekick. She-ra also had its fanbase among young girls who wanted a He-man cartoon that was made for them and not their brother(s). This probably won't continue in any important way, and is probably intended to attract female readers to the team-up and keep them coming back to follow the characters in their respective series. The habit of publishers to chase the existing, ever dwindling fanbase isn't a sound long-term strategy and ensures diminishing returns. Long running franchises need fresh blood, fresh capital to thrive.

It's also not as though Marvel's returning/already present readership won't have the same titles and characters they already have leading into this Secret Wars redux. The guys reading The Avengers right now will still have comics written for them in whatever the team-up and cross-over Secret Wars titles they're releasing. It'd be a bad idea to say, "Let's do Secret Wars again and dramatically change the continuity . . . but this time, the ENTIRE Secret Wars line-up will be women." They're not doing that. They're adding one more gimmick to the pile.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
ryukage_sama said:
I don't think Marvel is trying to cater to people, men or women, who don't like action: action comics, action movies, whatever. But establishing the sex of the lead cast as all male or all female does work to draw an audience who wants that "all-_______ team".
If they aren't trying to cater to people who like the action based comics then why would they make this change to an action based comic? Why not create a new series that isn't action based?

The female comic readers amongst my friends have lamented that they don't have that female led, female supported, female directed comic vehicle. It's been done from time-to-time, but not in any consistent and ongoing way, with probably DC being better about it than Marvel. Xena: Warrior Princess had (has?) an ardent female fanbase who loved having a female action heroine, and accompanying female sidekick. She-ra also had its fanbase among young girls who wanted a He-man cartoon that was made for them and not their brother(s). This probably won't continue in any important way, and is probably intended to attract female readers to the team-up and keep them coming back to follow the characters in their respective series. The habit of publishers to chase the existing, ever dwindling fanbase isn't a sound long-term strategy and ensures diminishing returns. Long running franchises need fresh blood, fresh capital to thrive.
Your friends should consider Birds of Prey. It's pretty good.

It's also not as though Marvel's returning/already present readership won't have the same titles and characters they already have leading into this Secret Wars redux. The guys reading The Avengers right now will still have comics written for them in whatever the team-up and cross-over Secret Wars titles they're releasing. It'd be a bad idea to say, "Let's do Secret Wars again and dramatically change the continuity . . . but this time, the ENTIRE Secret Wars line-up will be women." They're not doing that. They're adding one more gimmick to the pile.
The logic in trivializing one less comic for readers also trivializes one more for others. If it's just one, then it's just one. But this is a MAJOR series. It's perhaps THE major series. But now apparently it's meant to cater specifically to women when Avengers used to be one of those bastions that appealed to all with an ever present roster of female avengers.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Jarek Mace said:
No, but blowing the brains out of a major comic book series and replacing it with a half-arsed, almost insulting and infant school level "Boys smell, girls r best" mentality is insulting to fans, men, and women. It's not diversification, it's a fucking publicity stunt to exploit radfem and SJW for a few bucks before switching it out to what it was before.
You ought not feel so insulted without having read or at least heard from people who read them. They might be terrible, but even if they are, being gimmicky AND terrible isn't new to Marvel. And where's the persisting outrage from the all female X-men? That's still going. How has the rest of the Marvel Universe narrative been tainted by that?

You're projecting a lot of negative baggage onto a single comic series that you won't read. Why not spread that around ALL of the comics you don't like and won't read?

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Jarek Mace said:
Zefar said:
Avaholic03 said:
Wow it's amazing how all those women have pretty much the exact same body type. Every color of the rainbow with pretty much every super power imaginable...but all the same build. Yay diversity!!
To be fair, if a person is running around and punching bad guys all day long you are bound to get that body. You can't stay fat the entire time unless your power was about being fat.

As for this comic. If they manage to fix all the problems the males started without their help it would be a bit silly.
Reminds me of a screen cap I saw a while back. It was a drawing of a fat girl and thin girl with the line "You only live once, blabla, enjoy your body". The SJW's felt this wasn't far enough and said:

-Where is the black girl?
-Where is the asian girl?
-Why not dwarfism?
-Why not ugly?
-Why not amputee?
-Etc

This is just one step back. I dunno, why the fuck don't we see a bunch of super-powered obese men? Or that many super thin guys? (Other than like, fuckin' elastic man)
We get a variation of Athletic to big built in male superheroes.

Honestly, this will be a game of diversity that Marvel has started but will never win, because the SJW's will only rest once 50% of the superhero base are black, female, Muslim but jewish but buddhist vegan squirrel-kin who is sexual but not sexualised, is more powerful than any other hero and flies around the world solving everything for ever. If she gets struck by a man, that's rape and the comic should be burned.

Exaggeration, maybe, but that's how it feels.
They are all in that picture for the most part. Heck the Asian Girl is the one up front on the right that nobody knows who she is. You can't tell however because the artist draws all women the same, so they all have the same face. I think there is something unintended and ironic in that that I can't quite put my finger on.

Also just for the record we've been down this path before...

And it was fucking awful. That's probably why even the promotional art is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Lightknight said:
ryukage_sama said:
I don't think Marvel is trying to cater to people, men or women, who don't like action: action comics, action movies, whatever. But establishing the sex of the lead cast as all male or all female does work to draw an audience who wants that "all-_______ team".
If they aren't trying to cater to people who like the action based comics then why would they make this change to an action based comic? Why not create a new series that isn't action based?
We seem to have a misunderstanding. Marvel is catering to a female readership who wants and all-female ACTION series, or at least all female heros. I don't understand how switching to an all female cast would automatically change the series to a non-action genre.

The female comic readers amongst my friends have lamented that they don't have that female led, female supported, female directed comic vehicle. It's been done from time-to-time, but not in any consistent and ongoing way, with probably DC being better about it than Marvel. Xena: Warrior Princess had (has?) an ardent female fanbase who loved having a female action heroine, and accompanying female sidekick. She-ra also had its fanbase among young girls who wanted a He-man cartoon that was made for them and not their brother(s). This probably won't continue in any important way, and is probably intended to attract female readers to the team-up and keep them coming back to follow the characters in their respective series. The habit of publishers to chase the existing, ever dwindling fanbase isn't a sound long-term strategy and ensures diminishing returns. Long running franchises need fresh blood, fresh capital to thrive.
Your friends should consider Birds of Prey. It's pretty good.[/quote]
Thanks for the obvious recommendation. One token comic series is clearly sufficient for an avid comic reader.

The logic in trivializing one less comic for readers also trivializes one more for others. If it's just one, then it's just one. But this is a MAJOR series. It's perhaps THE major series. But now apparently it's meant to cater specifically to women when Avengers used to be one of those bastions that appealed to all with an ever present roster of female avengers.[/quote]

Marvel hasn't announced that "The Avengers" comic isn't coming back. The announcement is that immediately following (perhaps during) Secret Wars, a bunch of the women will be teaming up to form the new A-Force team. It would be ludicrous to suggest that Marvel would consider cancelling The Avengers permanently. You could argue that ending the Fantastic Four is to spite Fox, but there's no rational for doing that to their biggest money-making vehicle on hand.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
ryukage_sama said:
We seem to have a misunderstanding. Marvel is catering to a female readership who wants and all-female ACTION series, or at least all female heros. I don't understand how switching to an all female cast would automatically change the series to a non-action genre.
Do you think that is a significant number of people? I certainly imagine it to be non-zero. But is it worthy of appropriating a series that people are already invested in?

Thanks for the obvious recommendation. One token comic series is clearly sufficient for an avid comic reader.
If people can only be happy with an all female super hero team then they don't deserve to have comics made for them for the same reason a person can't be happy with anything other than all-male hero teams. Both are sexists in my eyes.

I was giving your friends a recommendation in case they weren't aware of it since it's one I like. One that you didn't mention despite it being "obvious" as you claim. I wasn't trying to prove any point. However, there have been other all-female teams from time to time. They just aren't as popular regardless of how many people complain about them not existing when they do.

If people spent more time buying the comics that are doing things right than they do bitching about comics not existing once they've gone away due to lack of popularity then maybe there'd be more permanent ones.

Marvel hasn't announced that "The Avengers" comic isn't coming back. The announcement is that immediately following (perhaps during) Secret Wars, a bunch of the women will be teaming up to form the new A-Force team. It would be ludicrous to suggest that Marvel would consider cancelling The Avengers permanently. You could argue that ending the Fantastic Four is to spite Fox, but there's no rational for doing that to their biggest money-making vehicle on hand.
Of course. But they are clearly hijacking a more popular series, are they not? Here's a question, do you think this means that they don't believe the series would have survived on its own?

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Lightknight said:
Do you think that is a significant number of people? I certainly imagine it to be non-zero. But is it worthy of appropriating a series that people are already invested in?
Yes, I think that ~100% of female fans of Marvel comics are fans of action comics.

If people can only be happy with an all female super hero team then they don't deserve to have comics made for them for the same reason a person can't be happy with anything other than all-male hero teams. Both are sexists in my eyes.

I was giving your friends a recommendation in case they weren't aware of it since it's one I like. One that you didn't mention despite it being "obvious" as you claim. I wasn't trying to prove any point. However, there have been other all-female teams from time to time. They just aren't as popular regardless of how many people complain about them not existing when they do.

If people spent more time buying the comics that are doing things right than they do bitching about comics not existing once they've gone away due to lack of popularity then maybe there'd be more permanent ones.
First, fans don't "deserve" their media, nor are some fans more deserving of their media than others. It's not owed to us, its just mutually beneficial, rewarding and/or fulfilling relationship between fans and creators but that's a different discussion.

People want more of the comics they want most. I like my nerds as heroes in comics, and I am very well catered to. Others have different tastes. If someone feels that an all-female team is their favorite, that's fine (the reverse is also true). It only makes sense that they would want more of their favorite thing. The all female X-men series seems to be going along fine after 2 years (although I don't know what the sales numbers are for it). Wanting another series like it doesn't make them morally inferior to the rest of us. I agree that its not reasonable to refuse to buy a series that features the wrong gender while showcasing all the other attributes one prefers, but using that concept of a fan as a straw-man when discussing a comparatively uncommon team setup is unreasonable too.

I didn't waste time listing every single applicable title because it's not useful for those of us who already KNOW what few they're are, but I did acknowledge that they exist. Naming a handful that have been published over the course of several decades didn't seem worthwhile. My friends are aware of what comics starring female teams have been published. They know them better than I.

Of course. But they are clearly hijacking a more popular series, are they not? Here's a question, do you think this means that they don't believe the series would have survived on its own?[/quote]

Marvel wouldn't do massive crossover events if they believed all their titles could sell well without it. The Avengers series exists largely to advance the sales of its less famous characters. And who's "hijacking" it? Marvel publishes The Avengers and Marvel will publish A-Force. I'm sure Marvel knows that this will help its sales, so they do it. That's not condemnable, that's business. It advances a new series and also further promotes the Avengers which will get its own big return event that pushes sales further. In the larger scheme, Marvel doesn't think the bulk of their series sell well enough on their own, so they orchestrate these events, even adding deliberately controversial changes to their print lineup. And things continue much as they have this past age.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
runic knight said:
Rebel_Raven said:
Haha,

Heaven forbid there's ever anything all women in comics. I've heard about the all female avengers, but not Iron Man's all male illuminati group for some reason. Probably because an all male group's not particularly noteworthy while an all women group gets discredited, and criticized as if women can't pull it off, and is generally news worthy because it's pretty rare. It doesn't help any that it's rare that the all women group gets respected in the first place.

Kinda irritating that people expect people to be happy with the status quo, and heaven forbid anything ever alter it even in the slightest. People acting like others should be happy with being disrespected, marginalized, and so forth. Frankly, it's a really idiotic notion that people have to be silent so long as what they speak of dares go against the "norm." As if any excuse can make things better when people are upset with the status quo. It might be a temporary balm to hear an excuse, but it won't last forever.
There is a difference between "shaking up the status quo" and "making a side show of gender specific character for publicity sake". Maybe people are far less upset about it being a "deviation of the status quo" and instead see it as a reflection of the status quo ("hey look at us using women, how unconventional, am I right?!?")and of a shameless PR stunt in how it is executed?

Honestly, I would have been a hell of a lot more convinced about the purity of the motives if instead of making it a noteworthy spectacle that "omg, all women avengers!?!?", they just ran the storyline and had that simply be a result. It doesn't take much to not intentionally call attention to the fact you are doing some as if it is a freakshow.
Oh, so it's only a PR stunt when women do it? Coz guys have done it, and it's not even a blip on my radar. I dunno about you, but it doesn't really get talked about when guys do it.
There's a reason it's getting the attention it does. Coz it's so damn rare. Rare things often get talked about. If it wasn't rare, and if it wasn't handled poorly in the past, I doubt people would be talking about it.

I'll grant you it seems out of the blue, but has even issue #1 released? No one knows what's going on, do they? Why they formed? It might be good?
It'd be damn near impossible to make it into an arc where the group is formed. I doubt anyone would be satisfied if they tried.

The women of marvel gotta find a place to take off -somewhere-, IMO. And that somewhere needs to be strong writing, characterization, and frankly not being tied down.

IMO, an all girl group is the only logical way to do it. Add a guy into the mix, and it's "who's he going to end up with?" and sadly "how is she going to be abused to keep the guy being heroic?" And who ever he ends up with is prolly gunna get a lot of character taken away in the name of being the love interest. Hell, add a token guy in a group of more than 1 woman, and they'll prolly end up fighting over him knowing the comics industry. >.>
At least in an all woman group it's more likely to lead to lesbian encounters. Not a whole lot of lesbians in Marvel ,believe me, I've looked. LGBTQ are certainly underrepresented.
In a balanced group, women are likely going to end up in the shadow of the guys (Lets not pretend wolverine doesn't outshine basically everyone anyhow :p), which is probably why there's the disrespect most of the women of marvel in general for the most part, a point so obviously pointed out by this thread.
Frankly, I hadn't heard of many, if any break out woman stars from a diverse group like the X-men, or Avengers.

Not that I want to come off the wrong way here, but men are a distraction, and basically just get in the way of a female character gaining solid popularity. The presence of a male super hero in a group just won't stand for trading places with a woman's role (humorously pointed out in the post you quoted), and due to that a male's presence would just demand the spotlight, and the attention of the women around him.
Men aren't the sole reason, mind you, it's general writing, too, but once women get written into relationships with guys, and it's basically over for them, it seems.

Hell, it's not just Marvel. Look at Batgirl, for instance. She doesn't get a lot of screen time, barely appears in games (basically Injustice, and Lego) and until recently hadn't gotten a lot of traction, meanwhile Nightwing, and the guy robins certainly has. Of course she's forever in the shadow of Batman.
Power girl, and super girl both are basically in the same boat, though Supergirl's getting a show that, hopefully, won't be embarrassing like the movie she got back in the day.
Wonder Woman? She gets a few animated movies, but she's still not as revered as Batman, or Superman despite being in the trinity. She's not in any more games that Batgirl, really.

While I'm on the topic, comic women who actually do get movies are basically there for name recognition. Certainly not lore, or respect for the property, which is why they all suck, outside of the animated stuff that is obscure, and still rare.

The women of comics need better marketing, IMO.

Creating a new hero isn't easy, I imagine. Just about everything interesting has been done, so they'd likely be called redundant, derivative, etc. Why have that hero when this one has similar powers, and better name recognition? I mean, lets look at the latest hot topic for women, Kamala Khan. A woman who's using a name passed down to her.
Spider Gwen is an offshoot from spiderman, obviously. Hopefully she'll go farther than any other female spider offshoot has, which isn't a long trip. Silk, hopefully, will not fade into obscurity, either. Hopefully Spider Woman'll get revitalized and on the scene.
Hopefully Squirrel Girl's series will do well, too. It might help that she doesn't have to be taken seriously.

Catpcha: Roll over
no thanks.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Rebel_Raven said:
Oh, so it's only a PR stunt when women do it? Coz guys have done it, and it's not even a blip on my radar. I dunno about you, but it doesn't really get talked about when guys do it.
There's a reason it's getting the attention it does. Coz it's so damn rare. Rare things often get talked about. If it wasn't rare, and if it wasn't handled poorly in the past, I doubt people would be talking about it.
Perhaps it doesn't get talked about "when guys do it" because A. it isn't sold on the fact like it is publicly pointing at itself asking for a gold star and B. it isn't treated like a freak quality to market on and instead just happens as a result of the story.

I wont argue it is rarer, I am arguing that the handling of the idea is abhorrently clumsy, both in execution and in intent.

I'll grant you it seems out of the blue, but has even issue #1 released? No one knows what's going on, do they? Why they formed? It might be good?
It'd be damn near impossible to make it into an arc where the group is formed. I doubt anyone would be satisfied if they tried.
That is actually the entirety of the problem I see with it.

It ISN'T out of the blue.
It ISN'T just released without pomp or circumstance
It never tried to make it into an actual story arc

and it should be all of those in a storycrafting perspective. The team should just form organically because of events. The story should be just released as a story about the major event, not as a spcial sideshow. And it should be an actual story within the universe, not little more then an event else-world tale.
Instead of making it a natural progression of story, which they actually had groundwork to set up since they plan these events well in advance, they instead opted for the "look at this, all women, so wacky, am I right?!?" approach. Taking what could have been a good story idea (and I happily admit, it is a fairly decent concept about often less popular heroes forming a rag-tag replacement force to give them a chance to shine. Rather like when that happens actually) and instead reducing it to a freakshow concept that devalues the characters as characters. They aren't marketed as characters, they are marketed as women. Hell, at least with the whole "rag-tag replacements" theme, it at least treats them as the charcters they are first and foremost, even if their popularity is low. This though? Ask yourself, at the end of the day, what is the sole reason they chose those characters? The fact it is "their gender" is why I think it is worth taking them to task, since it reveals that they cared more about the gender of the characters as a token gimmick instead of the actual interesting qualities and appeal of the characters could fit in the story. And that is a shame.

The women of marvel gotta find a place to take off -somewhere-, IMO. And that somewhere needs to be strong writing, characterization, and frankly not being tied down.
I agree they need a place to take off to show off the appeal of the characters as characters people can enjoy. A gimmick is not known for staying power. All I can think of with this is the many event comics before where B-squad heroes and villains are brought in solely to be killed for "gravity". It is the same disregard of the characters as fans and writers might enjoy to instead use them as fodder to prop up the flagships. Only instead of killing them off, they are treating it like a sideshow attraction. Come on, come all, see the bewildering female avengers.

IMO, an all girl group is the only logical way to do it. Add a guy into the mix, and it's "who's he going to end up with?" and sadly "how is she going to be abused to keep the guy being heroic?" And who ever he ends up with is prolly gunna get a lot of character taken away in the name of being the love interest. Hell, add a token guy in a group of more than 1 woman, and they'll prolly end up fighting over him knowing the comics industry. >.>
At least in an all woman group it's more likely to lead to lesbian encounters. Not a whole lot of lesbians in Marvel ,believe me, I've looked. LGBTQ are certainly underrepresented.
Valid concerns, though not limited to gender or sexuality. Race, nationality, even religion are also poorly represented in a similar fashion. Partly because of demographics, partly because it is the demographics of old writing this generation's comics, and partly because the comic industry is relatively terrible with characters in general most of the time. And those issues are certainly worth addressing, but is "add a token ____ character." really any better when the reason they exist is to be a token? Is it better when it is a token group instead of a single character?

And that isn't to say an all-female team can't or shouldn't exist. Hell, think someone was mentioning birds of prey before which is a hell of a good team. But something seems very very wrong to me when the idea of "all female team" is the very gimmick they are selling it on. Ok, they are all female, what about it? What happens when the gimmick runs its course? Well, if they are lucky, a couple characters will be kept around because they were written well. If they aren't, then back in the vaults with the rest of the B-squad members to be paraded out and killed off during the next event they need to "raise the stakes" on. Granted, Marvel is considerably less guilty of that then DC, but the fact does remain.

In the end, my complaint is not they don't have a "token" guy (since a token guy is the exact same stupidity as a token anything) but rather that they revealed the entire intent of the group was gender in the first place, perpetually showing a company view of the characters as gender-first, instead of hero first.

In a balanced group, women are likely going to end up in the shadow of the guys (Lets not pretend wolverine doesn't outshine basically everyone anyhow :p), which is probably why there's the disrespect most of the women of marvel in general for the most part, a point so obviously pointed out by this thread.
Frankly, I hadn't heard of many, if any break out woman stars from a diverse group like the X-men, or Avengers.
Rogue, Storm, Wasp, they were great characters. Hell, Jean Grey/Pheonix was interesting, if a bit too Mary sue-ism to me. And while Wolverine may have outshone the team, that was not because he was powerful, but because he was famous. Hell, comic-verse Rogue would probably wipe the floor with him easily in a real fight. The issue there is writer favoritism, though even with some characters more used then others, them being good characters is what makes them memorable and stick with people. Rogue had a great amount of power, but also a good story I though. Wolverine was nearly entirely an amnesiac one with gruff persona.

As for disrespect, I don't think that is the right word here. Good characters did not break out, this is very true, but that was less out of a lack of respect so much as a mix of a lack of consumer response to them and a lack of writer desire to bring them into the forefront.

Not that I want to come off the wrong way here, but men are a distraction, and basically just get in the way of a female character gaining solid popularity. The presence of a male super hero in a group just won't stand for trading places with a woman's role (humorously pointed out in the post you quoted), and due to that a male's presence would just demand the spotlight, and the attention of the women around him.
Men aren't the sole reason, mind you, it's general writing, too, but once women get written into relationships with guys, and it's basically over for them, it seems.
You assume comic book characters are allowed relationships for any reason besides to have more drama anyways, regardless of gender. Spiderman had one and it got torn away in bullshit handwaving just to restore status quo. While I do get the point you make about it increasing the chance of an outstanding star if they aren't competing with male characters (or more particularly, established, already popular male characters), do note my complaint was more on execution of the idea and not the idea itself. Honestly, an all-female avenger team would be cool if done right. The problem I am many others here seem to have is that the intent of the story is ENTIRELY about it being an all-female team as a gimmick and sideshow instead of a story idea that just evolved into it.

Hell, it's not just Marvel. Look at Batgirl, for instance. She doesn't get a lot of screen time, barely appears in games (basically Injustice, and Lego) and until recently hadn't gotten a lot of traction, meanwhile Nightwing, and the guy robins certainly has. Of course she's forever in the shadow of Batman.
Power girl, and super girl both are basically in the same boat, though Supergirl's getting a show that, hopefully, won't be embarrassing like the movie she got back in the day.
Wonder Woman? She gets a few animated movies, but she's still not as revered as Batman, or Superman despite being in the trinity. She's not in any more games that Batgirl, really.
True, though I have to ask how much time in the spotlight captain marvel, red tornado or hell, even green arrow, the flash or the martian manhunter have gotten as well. They concentrate very heavily on the popular characters, namely superman and batman. As a business, it makes sense why. As a character exploration and story-telling medium, it sucks, but that is sort of the breaks there.

Wonder Woman is a noteworthy mention though, as she is part of the trinity and should get more airtime over the rest of the league. I am curious why she doesn't though, aside from the blistering failure that was her movie in the... 80's was it? Either way, she should get more usage as a character yet doesn't and aside from demographic targeting and DC being largely terrible movie-makers in general, not sure why not.

While I'm on the topic, comic women who actually do get movies are basically there for name recognition. Certainly not lore, or respect for the property, which is why they all suck, outside of the animated stuff that is obscure, and still rare.

Creating a new hero isn't easy, I imagine. Just about everything interesting has been done, so they'd likely be called redundant, derivative, etc. Why have that hero when this one has similar powers, and better name recognition? I mean, lets look at the latest hot topic for women, Kamala Khan. A woman who's using a name passed down to her.
Spider Gwen is an offshoot from spiderman, obviously. Hopefully she'll go farther than any other female spider offshoot has, which isn't a long trip. Silk, hopefully, will not fade into obscurity, either. Hopefully Spider Woman'll get revitalized and on the scene.
Hopefully Squirrel Girl's series will do well, too. It might help that she doesn't have to be taken seriously.

no thanks.
You know, you touch on something there. Similar powers and brand would be a main point of why related characters aren't used as much as the most popular of that brand. And the similar powers would also make studios and publishers believe people would be less likely to be attached to that character over another they already know. Hmm, it might be worth looking into that further doing a deeper examination into public opinion based on power similarities. Wonder if that in turn might not relate to the wonder women question from before, since the two most popular are diametric opposites of the hero power scales, while wonder woman comes off as a weaker Superman in terms of powers (strength, flight, and speed but lacking breath and laser vision. Lasso and bracelets probably not enough to combat the "cool" factor of sup's powers.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
runic knight said:
Rebel_Raven said:
Perhaps it doesn't get talked about "when guys do it" because A. it isn't sold on the fact like it is publicly pointing at itself asking for a gold star and B. it isn't treated like a freak quality to market on and instead just happens as a result of the story.

I wont argue it is rarer, I am arguing that the handling of the idea is abhorrently clumsy, both in execution and in intent.

That is actually the entirety of the problem I see with it.

It ISN'T out of the blue.
It ISN'T released
It never tried to make it into an actual story arc

and it should be all of those in a storycrafting perspective. The team should just form organically because of events. The story should be just released as a story about the major event, not as a spcial sideshow. And it should be an actual story within the universe, not little more then an event else-world tale.
Instead of making it a natural progression of story, which they actually had groundwork to set up since they plan these events well in advance, they instead opted for the "look at this, all women, so wacky, am I right?!?" approach. Taking what could have been a good story idea (and I happily admit, it is a fairly decent concept about often less popular heroes forming a rag-tag replacement force to give them a chance to shine. Rather like when that happens actually) and instead reducing it to a freakshow concept that devalues the characters as characters. They aren't marketed as characters, they are marketed as women. Hell, at least with the whole "rag-tag replacements" theme, it at least treats them as the charcters they are first and foremost, even if their popularity is low. This though? Ask yourself, at the end of the day, what is the sole reason they chose those characters? The fact it is "their gender" is why I think it is worth taking them to task, since it reveals that they cared more about the gender of the characters as a token gimmick instead of the actual interesting qualities and appeal of the characters could fit in the story. And that is a shame.

I agree they need a place to take off to show off the appeal of the characters as characters people can enjoy. A gimmick is not known for staying power. All I can think of with this is the many event comics before where B-squad heroes and villains are brought in solely to be killed for "gravity". It is the same disregard of the characters as fans and writers might enjoy to instead use them as fodder to prop up the flagships. Only instead of killing them off, they are treating it like a sideshow attraction. Come on, come all, see the bewildering female avengers.

Valid concerns, though not limited to gender or sexuality. Race, nationality, even religion are also poorly represented in a similar fashion. Partly because of demographics, partly because it is the demographics of old writing this generation's comics, and partly because the comic industry is relatively terrible with characters in general most of the time. And those issues are certainly worth addressing, but is "add a token ____ character." really any better when the reason they exist is to be a token? Is it better when it is a token group instead of a single character?

And that isn't to say an all-female team can't or shouldn't exist. Hell, think someone was mentioning birds of prey before which is a hell of a good team. But something seems very very wrong to me when the idea of "all female team" is the very gimmick they are selling it on. Ok, they are all female, what about it? What happens when the gimmick runs its course? Well, if they are lucky, a couple characters will be kept around because they were written well. If they aren't, then back in the vaults with the rest of the B-squad members to be paraded out and killed off during the next event they need to "raise the stakes" on. Granted, Marvel is considerably less guilty of that then DC, but the fact does remain.

In the end, my complaint is not they don't have a "token" guy (since a token guy is the exact same stupidity as a token anything) but rather that they revealed the entire intent of the group was gender in the first place, perpetually showing a company view of the characters as gender-first, instead of hero first.

Rogue, Storm, Wasp, they were great characters. Hell, Jean Grey/Pheonix was interesting, if a bit too Mary sue-ism to me. And while Wolverine may have outshone the team, that was not because he was powerful, but because he was famous. Hell, comic-verse Rogue would probably wipe the floor with him easily in a real fight. The issue there is writer favoritism, though even with some characters more used then others, them being good characters is what makes them memorable and stick with people. Rogue had a great amount of power, but also a good story I though. Wolverine was nearly entirely an amnesiac one with gruff persona.

As for disrespect, I don't think that is the right word here. Good characters did not break out, this is very true, but that was less out of a lack of respect so much as a mix of a lack of consumer response to them and a lack of writer desire to bring them into the forefront.

You assume comic book characters are allowed relationships for any reason besides to have more drama anyways, regardless of gender. Spiderman had one and it got torn away in bullshit handwaving just to restore status quo. While I do get the point you make about it increasing the chance of an outstanding star if they aren't competing with male characters (or more particularly, established, already popular male characters), do note my complaint was more on execution of the idea and not the idea itself. Honestly, an all-female avenger team would be cool if done right. The problem I am many others here seem to have is that the intent of the story is ENTIRELY about it being an all-female team as a gimmick and sideshow instead of a story idea that just evolved into it.

True, though I have to ask how much time in the spotlight captain marvel, red tornado or hell, even green arrow, the flash or the martian manhunter have gotten as well. They concentrate very heavily on the popular characters, namely superman and batman. As a business, it makes sense why. As a character exploration and story-telling medium, it sucks, but that is sort of the breaks there.

Wonderwomen is a noteworthy mention though, as she is part of the trinity and should get more airtime over the rest of the league. I am curious why she doesn't though, aside from the blistering failure that was her movie in the... 80's was it? Either way, she should get more usage as a character yet doesn't and aside from demographic targeting and DC being largely terrible movie-makers in general, not sure why not.

no thanks.
You know, you touch on something there. Similar powers and brand would be a main point of why related characters aren't used as much as the most popular of that brand. And the similar powers would also make people less likely to be attached to that character over another they already know. Hmm, it might be worth looking into that further doing a deeper examination into public opinion based on power similarities. Wonder if that in turn might not relate to the wonder women question from before, since the two most popular are diametric opposites of the hero power scales, while wonder woman comes off as a weaker Superman in terms of powers (strength, flight, and speed but lacking breath and laser vision. Lasso and bracelets probably not enough to combat the "cool" factor of sup's powers.
I'll grant you that there's banking on the A-force's all female roster. Still, they're going to be presented as heroes, I'd hope. More so, they'll be presented as heroes and not heroes in relationships with heroes that overshadow them.
Yeah, it might be the shock value being sought after, but the opportunity for people to find lesser known characters like Nico Minoru, Hellcat, and Aurora, and others could be a good thing. Heck, I'm actually excited. Then again, I'm probably weird in that I'll look up a character's biography and click the links of other characters, places, and items linked to in that biography, and just spend time reading based on the threads connecting one character to another. This series can probably save me some time, especially on checking out the women of Marvel.

I really don't expect A-force to last. Honestly, a gimmick doesn't always have to last to have an impact, either. It just has to advertise effectively. Get people hooked. Show them a variety of things so they can pick out what they like, and glom onto it for all it's worth. The A-force seems to be well aimed at doing that. The purpose, as I understand it is to showcase a wide assortment of mentalities, powers, etc. and they just happen to be women, which might lead to some of them gaining more fame than they ever had being in a group, and diversifying the main lineup of heroes beyond the X-men, and Avengers.

Maybe A-force is going for the "freak show" route, and maybe it isn't the best method, but I'm not sure that's entirely a bad thing. I'd imagine it'd be very useful for showing that the Marvel Universe isn't just guys, it's women, too, and that potentially have a big impact. It'll show women being heroic, using their powers, not being in a relationship that may have defined them before, and so forth.

*Pushes up geek specs* Birds of Prey is just the title of the comic. The group doesn't really go by the name (Or any name for that matter). Also, while it's primarily Oracle, Black Canary, and Lady Blackhawk as staple members, Hawk (Don, not Holly Granger), Savant, and several other guys have temporarily been on the team, or assisted enough to count, IMO, kinda making it not women exclusive. :p
Honestly, the closest thing I can think of to an all woman team would be the Gotham City Sirens, and that was woefully short lived. Oh, and barbie, and her friends in the super hero movie thing they're doing, maybe.

Rogue, Wasp, Storm, Jean, etc. are great characters, I agree. Problem is, well, honestly, what have they done outside of their team? Storm, I think had a brief starring role in her own comic.
I'm pretty sure most every male Avenger has, or had their own comicbook title.
The women, not so much.
A lot of male Avengers are getting their own movie.
The women, again, not so much.

The favoritism you mention is part of the problem, IMO. If underutilized characters remain that way, they're harder to make into popular characters. I'd think some of the appreciation for a lot of the female characters is an appreciation for the underdogs of the popularity contest more than their character, and I'm guilty of that.
Honestly, power has little to do with my complaints. Wolverine was pushed to get popular. The rest of the X-men, not so much. The push is what's important, IMO.

I still think disrespect would be the right word. Few people expect much out of the women of marvel, few people really utilize them, few people write well for them. They make shitty movies with them, the "Women in refrigerators" trope exists for a reason, etc.
I feel like it takes respect for the property to do a character justice, and a lot of female characters just don't get that, and I don't know why. If they don't care that much about the property, why bother? Find someone that does, I say.

I gotta say you're wrong about my opinion on relationships. I actually don't expect relationships to be more than drama. I know better than to expect happily ever after. :p
Problem is the guy's usually on the "I'm still alive" end of things, and women are usually, well, check out "Women in refrigerators." The latter exists for a reason, largely because it happens a lot. The whole being depowered, killed, etc. thing really kinda stops any momentum towards getting popular. I think Jean Grey really got screwed over in that regard. lol
The joke about Hawkeye trying to be the token guy, then backing out once he realized what would likely happen to him is relevant, IMO, for a reason. :p
Frankly, women get the short end of the stick. DC didn't just screw over Batwoman's lesbian wedding, they screwed over a lesser known lesbian named Scandal Savage who was going to try and have a polygamous wedding with a stripper and a New God (Knockout) that could fight Superboy. Moreover, that trio was one of my favorite relationships in all of Comics.

Having done some googling, it seems like the execution of the idea of an all female avengers is a curiosity from a higher power to learn more about humans.

Personally, I don't care what the idea is, I'm somewhat optimistic that it has a shot in hell of giving more women opportunities to shine, and actually garner some respect. Having stumbled across the whole near 50% of comic fans are women statistic, I'm hoping that it helps show that despite a strong male dominance, there's worthwhile women in the Marvel Universe, too.

Green Arrow has a long running, popular show. Flash is hot on his heels. They've gotten a good bit of attention. Arrow's already got a line of figures out, including Black Canary (though she seems a far cry from what I know) so the attention is there. Not just in media, but in marketing. I don't doubt that we'll see figures from Flash's series soon.

Red Tornado, Captain Marvel, Martian Manhunter, etc. not so much. Not lately anyhow. Captain Marvel (At least the Shazam powered one) had a TV show back in the day, I'm sure, but I'm more of a mind to ask "what have you done for me lately" so WW's old show, or Marvel's old show doesn't really factor in.

I agree entirely that WW should be getting more attention, and it's just weird she doesn't get it. She'll have, likely, a bit part in the Batman vs Superman movie (And likely as Superman's love interest, if not Batman's), but a lot of others are said to be having a part in the movie further diminishing her importance, IMO.
DC's not terrible terrible at movies. They're just starting to find their way. Grim Dark, mainly. Which, IMO, WW is at least better suited for than Superman. That, and they're better at animated stuff, IMO.
Maybe if they somehow could transfer the spirit of their animated stuff to live action?

Honestly, what Wonder Woman marketing should capitalize on, IMO, is the way she approaches things. She does so as a warrior more than anything. She's not afraid to stab people with swords for one thing. You're right on her powerset being less than Superman's.
A pair of shows come to mind, actually.
Hercules: The Legendary journeys, and Xena: Warrior Princess. It's almost a perfect example of how to differentiate Superman from Wonder Woman. One's a super powered boyscout, the other a more skilled fighter not afraid to use weapons freely, and isn't quite as squeaky clean.
Mindset's not the same as powerset, I'll grant that.
Honestly, out of a lot of examples I listed, especially in the Bat, Spider, and Kryptonian family Wonder Woman is more likely to use what ever similar powers she has differently.

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
Trying to figure out how this works in-universe. Say (Exiles) Morph shows up and asks to join they refuse cause he's a letch. Is that exclusionary?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
So, the Ass Force?

Seriously, I couldn't care less about this, but reading the comments in this thread is priceless. So they did an all-female gimmick, why does this bother anyone? It's not like there is a shortage of superhero comics, or that this is a trend overrunning the industry, or anything other than what it is - a gimmick that'll run out soon enough and everything will go back to the old status quo...

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
The last She-Hulk led all-female superteam, The Liberators, had a considerably better name. They also beat the crap out of Red Hulk when that actually meant something. So I'm a bit surprised that they aren't going with that.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Azure23 said:
Lightspeaker said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Lightspeaker said:
Azure23 said:
Fantastic Four, Avengers, Justice League, X-men, Guardians of the Galaxy, all have women in them. So I'm quite curious which significant teams are all male that nobody is bothered about?
With the exception of X-Men, all of those groups have maybe one or two token female members in a group that is predominantly male. Fantastic Four has 3 males, 1 female; Guardians has 4 males, 1 female; Avengers has 5 males, 1 female; etc. Justice League has what, Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl as mainstays, and the rest are SuperMAN, BatMAN, AquaMAN, Manhunter, Flash, Green Lantern, etc.

The post I quoted explicitly said "Nobody bats an eye at all male teams" rather than "majority male teams". Which is why I was curious. Again I don't read comics but a quick google search and the magic of wikipedia seems to indicate a proportion of most of the major ones I can think of from an outsider's perspective are female.

To grab one of these at random...Guardians of the Galaxy by wiki's reckoning has thirteen members in its modern lineup in the mainstream universe. Four of which are female (Gamora, Quasar, Mantis and Moondragon).
It does seem I'm guilty of exaggeration in this case, although there are a few all male teams in both Marvel and DC's stable, they're not exactly popular or even relevant anymore. I definitely should have said male dominated teams. My apologies. As to your earlier point about exchanging one bias for another, I'm just not sure that that's what this is. This is a move to garner attention, whether it was done with the best intentions (ie celebrating the many strong women that Marvel has created over the years) or with the worst, (cynical pandering to an increasingly progressive fan base) it doesn't matter. This isn't a permanent departure from the precious status quo of the Marvel universe, it's a stunt. One that I really have no opinion of other than what I've already said on the subject. I will also say that after decades of tokenism and under representation, having one large, all female team could hardly be considered "switching biases."

Fair enough. Like I said I don't really read comics so I have literally no idea how these things work or how they're normally handled or their "history" in any way. My exposure has been almost exclusively with games and films in which there's usually at least some level of female representation (though in the case of films the cynic in me says that's because Hollywood are checking the "needs token female" box, right above the "needs token black person" box). Just my surface-level looking things up didn't seem to tally. :)

Thanks for the info.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
the December King said:
Jux said:
I love all the boo-hooing here. What about the menzzzzz??? Whaaaaa!!! I'll be waiting for some body type and (more) racial/ethnic diversity before a standing ovation, but this is a cool move imo, even if it is (I assume) a temporary series. I'll be buying this for sure.
...It's funny, because I basically did ask "...what about the menz?"!

But I really did want to know what happened to them, that in the multiple worlds that came together, none of them were on hand to help out and ONLY women were left to soldier on. It's just a question: I'm not looking to get angry or upset, just curious to know more.
Yea, that wasn't really directed at you, more towards the people complaining and bemoaning how 'equality is being set back' or such nonsense.

As for what has happened to them, I don't know yet. I'll be picking up the trade, but collecting these events (with events basically happening consecutively now) is too much of a drain on my wallet. The only series I'm currently getting all issues for is the new thor run, and the star wars titles (and all the variant covers, if possible. There are 60+ for the #1 SW alone. A daunting task x_x)

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
Exactly. This is a total turn off for me.

OK, I get it, "DIVERSITY! FEMINIST POWAH!" are the new trends today, and Publishers feels such things as necesary to "get the ratings up".

But come on, at least try to draw different body types for these girls.
She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, Rogue, almost same body, almost same face.

Funny thing is, a Full Male Avengers have much more variety for body and face, for example Captain America, Wolverine, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Hulk, Doctor Strange, etc...

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Jandau said:
So, the Ass Force?

Seriously, I couldn't care less about this, but reading the comments in this thread is priceless. So they did an all-female gimmick, why does this bother anyone? It's not like there is a shortage of superhero comics, or that this is a trend overrunning the industry, or anything other than what it is - a gimmick that'll run out soon enough and everything will go back to the old status quo...
Well, obviously this is all a plot to eliminate all male superheroes from the Marvel universe and we'll never see the Avengers again. Because, as you know, everything in comics lasts forever. Just ask Bucky and Barry Allen.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Alright, that's cool. Don't see the purpose of the all female thing, though; seems kind of contrived and arbitrary.