All Female A-Force Replaces The Avengers

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
All Female A-Force Replaces The Avengers

In the wake of Marvel Comics Secret Wars, an all-female superhero team called A-Force will rise from The Avengers ashes.

While details about Secret Wars are still being released, one thing is clear: It's quickly becoming the biggest shake-up to Marvel Comics in almost a decade. We already knew it would <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/10011-Marvel-Reboots-Secret-Wars>act as a reboot to the Marvel Universe and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139551-Marvel-Comics-and-Ultimate-Universes-Will-Merge-In-Secret-Wars>end the Ultimate Comics line. But another major impact, at least in the short term, is that The Avengers will be no more. Instead, Marvel's iconic team will be replaced with an all-female superhero team called A-Force, consisting of heroes like She-Hulk, Jean Grey, Spider-Woman, Rogue, and more.

For the past two years, Iron Man and fellow heroes have desperately tried to prevent the destruction of Earth, but only managed to combine every parallel Marvel universe into one. Somehow, this will leave Earth without its biggest superhero team, during a time when continuities like Age of Apocalypse and Marvel Zombies threaten everyone. In response, female superheroes from seemingly all Marvel universes team up as the A-Force, and if the cover is anything to go on She-Hulk will be team leader.

"She-Hulk, Dazzler, Medusa, Nico Minoru and other fan favorites, will take charge," series co-writer G. Willow Wilson explained. "We've purposefully assembled a team composed of different characters from disparate parts of the Marvel U, with very different power sets, identities and ideologies."

To be clear, it's incredibly unlikely that A-Force will be a permanent replacement to The Avengers, especially with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139425-The-Second-Trailer-For-Avengers-2>Age of Ultron soon hitting theaters. But the concept of uniting women from a near-infinite number of parallel universe has great potential for whatever direction Marvel takes when Secret Wars ends this year.

A-Force will be co-written by G. Willow Wilson and Marguerite K. Bennett, with art from Jorge Molina. Issue #1 will be published this May.

[gallery=3798]

Source: <a href=http://marvel.com/news/comics/24048/marvel_comics_presents_a-force>Marvel

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Huh... kinda bold. I liked Fearless Defenders so might give it a shot. Kinda confused why its EXCLUSIVELY women but ehh.Marvels been trying it a lot lately.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Wow it's amazing how all those women have pretty much the exact same body type. Every color of the rainbow with pretty much every super power imaginable...but all the same build. Yay diversity!!

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Well, in all honesty, the most powerful characters in Marvel have often been women. The Phoenix, a being that is capable of joining with any host, prefers women almost exclusively. Then there's Mrs. Universe, the living embodiment of everything, everywhere. near infinite power. Her only caveat being that with universes breaking so often, she's gone a bit PTSD so is emotionally unstable. Of course, this being Marvel, they can't imply leave powerhouses like that sitting around like DC does. These are "big event" characters that only appear when sales need a boost. So they get pushed to the background, leaving the 6-month cycle events to the men.

I wonder how many of these characters will actually be from the 616 - I see a lot of classic costumes mixed up with more modern ones see: Jubilee, currently a vampire with an adopted kid, quite far from the fireworks-throwing teenager shown.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
CaptainMarvelous said:
Kinda confused why its EXCLUSIVELY women
Because they're trying to market to the girl-power crowd and the social justice crowd. If it had any male heroes, they'd have to play second-banana to the ladies, or it'd be described as "One man' using his patriarchal social dominance to control an entire harem of sexualized women" by the very people they are trying to market to.

Avaholic03 said:
Wow it's amazing how all those women have pretty much the exact same body type. Every color of the rainbow with pretty much every super power imaginable...but all the same build. Yay diversity!!
There's only a bit more diversity in male hero builds. There's basically "tough guy", "fast guy", and "huge guy" alongside a few weirdos.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
I forsee literally no backlash or disgusted comments dripping with anger and irony coming from this decision.

OT: Top left, is that Mrs. Iron Man (Iron Woman?). I ask in all seriousness, I'm not overly familiar with the Marvel Universe, and I have no idea who that is.

Captcha: Market forces. So cynical captcha.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
So, an all-girl team, AND it's being co-written by the author of the new Ms. Marvel series?

Color me interested.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Isalan said:
I forsee literally no backlash or disgusted comments dripping with anger and irony coming from this decision.

OT: Top left, is that Mrs. Iron Man (Iron Woman?). I ask in all seriousness, I'm not overly familiar with the Marvel Universe, and I have no idea who that is.

I'm both furious *and* disgusted that this team isn't called the Femvengers.

OT

That cosmic entity standing next to She-Hulk seems like she might be a tad overpowered: can someone nerdier than me in this area fill me in with the juicy details?

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Isalan said:
Probably Pepper Potts as Rescue.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
I'm looking forward to the day when a character being of a certain gender isn't newsworthy.

Seriously. An all female superhero team shouldn't be a sensation. It should just be one more in the pile.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Falterfire said:
Isalan said:
Probably Pepper Potts as Rescue.
I was wandering whether it might be Pepper. Thanks muchly for the info.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
That green chick is supposed to be she-hulk?
She neither looks strong nor mad which is kind of essential for hulk smash grr shenanigans. Oh well.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Dragonlayer said:
Isalan said:
Not the XX-Men then? Or should I say, the XX-Not-Men.

I could go on, however I will spare you all that great indignity.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
That's fairly contrived, admittedly in a genre that's chock-a-block with contrivances. Hopefully it can rise above that. Hopefully we can rise above the assumption that the tendency to make male "default" in some instances means that simply replacing male with female across the board is inherently a positive choice.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
So it's like a no men allowed super hero club? Ok. Kinda taking a step back on equality but whatevs. It'll be interesting.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
Isalan said:
Dragonlayer said:
Isalan said:
Not the XX-Men then? Or should I say, the XX-Not-Men.

I could go on, however I will spare you all that great indignity.
Ironically, the current "X-Men" lineup is also all-female, with the guys split up between "Uncanny X-Men" and "Amazing X-Men".

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Isalan said:

That would be Pepper Potts in armor as Rescue, I think.