All Female A-Force Replaces The Avengers

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I have nothing against well written female super teams. Heck DC has been doing it for years with Birds of Prey one of the all time best comics ever. But this just kinda reeks of something stupid from the marketing department in place of an actual well written attempt at broader and more diverse stories.

Oh and that armored girl is Pepper Potts in her Rescue armor. It's noteworthy features are it has no offensive weaponry and no two artists can ever draw the mask and helmet the same way twice. This might not be a problem with this artist since as others noted he draws every women pretty much identical and leaves the differentiation to the colorist. Same body types. Same faces. Same expressions.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait, I thought the reboot happened AFTER the new Secret War?

Also "A-Force"? What's the A stand for? Avengers? (Also no I'm not going for the immature/ sexist letter.)

Another thng, couldn't they had reused that team name "Lady Liberators" since that kind of relevent? Before you asked this team name, it was a one off thing (I think?) but reappear during Red Julk as She-Hulk reassemble the team to take down the Red Julk.

Lastly, who's Nico Minoru? Oh she's a menber of the Runaways (I read one of their graphic novels). So they decided to make them well that character relevent again despite they had vanish in the Marvel universe for a couple of years now.

One more thing (last one I swear)! Is that Spider-Swn I spy on the cover? Great so they are going to canon her well put her into the 616 universe (well ok I got no problem with that see how popular she had become and I do loved her costume design).

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
faefrost said:
I have nothing against well written female super teams. Heck DC has been doing it for years with Birds of Prey one of the all time best comics ever. But this just kinda reeks of something stupid from the marketing department in place of an actual well written attempt at broader and more diverse stories.

Oh and that armored girl is Pepper Potts in her Rescue armor. It's noteworthy features are it has no offensive weaponry and no two artists can ever draw the mask and helmet the same way twice. This might not be a problem with this artist since as others noted he draws every women pretty much identical and leaves the differentiation to the colorist. Same body types. Same faces. Same expressions.
Ehh, give it a chance. I know recent events have given a lot of people reason to be cynical about this kind of thing, but it's ultimately better to wait for a final product before decrying it as a cynical cash grab trying to milk the SJW crowd or whether its honest attempt at someone wanting to tell an interesting story.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
faefrost said:

Given that Wilson - who's been putting out one of the best books on the stands with Ms. Marvel - is attached to co-write this, I'm going to remain optimistic for it being "well written" over being a "marketing ploy." And honestly, Marvel has been doing outright fantastic work with its female characters lately (the previously mentioned Ms. Marvel and deConnick's Captain Marvel being great examples).

That and it has Nico as a member. No marketing employee ever has looked at Runaways and said, "Oh yeah, this is where the money's at."

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Okay, this seems like a cool idea, and a way to give seemingly side-characters (like the Wasp or Black Widow) a chance in the spotlight.
But then there's this line:
"She-Hulk, Dazzler, Medusa, Nico Minoru and other fan favorites, will take charge,"
Now, She-Hulk, Medusa, and even Nico have a following. But I don't know anyone crying out for Dazzler to head a team up. Unless she got far more interesting in the last couple years, there had to be another surviving female X-man alive (I dunno, Storm or Jean Grey from the image, possibly X-23) that's a stronger character. Unless Marvel was looking for someone Fox hadn't yet put into the X-Men films, in another attempt to avoid giving Fox publicity, but still...Dazzler?

In all seriousness, the author's proven himself with the new Ms. Marvel books, and it'll be cool to see these characters all tossed together. Also, seeing the different team styles conflict will be neat, as the X-Men nature of fighting is a tad different than the Avengers. Spider-Gwen getting put on a team is also pretty cool, and I hope Kumala Khan shows up even with classic Ms. Marvel. But it makes me wonder what happened to the males, because I sincerely hope it isn't "Men save the universe, women stay at home and clean up the Secret Wars mess." That'd be a bit of a PR problem.

[sub]Dazzler? Really?[/sub]

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
For fuck sake. I don't want to support a Marvel continuity reboot because reboots are the biggest reason I can't stand reading DC comics (why the hell should I get invested in a character if everything I read stops being relevant in a year or two?), but G. Willow Wilson is a damn good writer. I may make an exception for this book.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
Oh. Huh. Spider-Gwen is on this team.

Nothing else to say really. It's neat, but I always wait to pick up comics AFTER the reviews have come out, so I'll be withholding judgement.

Madrax

Apr 4, 2009
N-no Tigra?! Not even among the backround girls?! Has been around since the 70's!
Marvel you better have at least a slightly plausible reason for her absence.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
It's kinda cheesy that they have to pretend they couldn't find any dudes to fill out the roster, particularly since this book looks like some old fan favorites are coming back, it would have been nice to spread the wealth around. Oh well.

Also, I'm not a fan of She-Hulk. I'd rather see Ms. Marvel or Storm take the lead role. Both are better characters.

I don't buy Marvel "Event" books any more. If they're interesting I'll get the trade, but they've been putting out a lot of garbage recently so I don't have high hopes.

That being said, I'm tentatively looking forward to the DareDevil series on NetFlicks. I've been following the Wade/Samnee DareDevil and it's by far the best book that Marvel puts out (which isn't saying a lot I know, but trust me, it's good).

Personally, I long for the days when I would have looked at this as just another theme oriented book coming out, but because of all the incessant gender politicking done by activists, even something as inoffensive as this comes off as yet another attempt to force feed us unwanted political agendas. We get it, there are girls in comic books, stop beating us over the head with it.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Dragonlayer said:
That cosmic entity standing next to She-Hulk seems like she might be a tad overpowered: can someone nerdier than me in this area fill me in with the juicy details?
Curious about this one as well. That the Mrs Universe someone else mention?

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Dragonlayer said:
Isalan said:
I forsee literally no backlash or disgusted comments dripping with anger and irony coming from this decision.

OT: Top left, is that Mrs. Iron Man (Iron Woman?). I ask in all seriousness, I'm not overly familiar with the Marvel Universe, and I have no idea who that is.

Captcha: Market forces. So cynical captcha.
I'm both furious *and* disgusted that this team isn't called the Femvengers.

OT

That cosmic entity standing next to She-Hulk seems like she might be a tad overpowered: can someone nerdier than me in this area fill me in with the juicy details?
Shinkicker444 said:
Curious about this one as well. That the Mrs Universe someone else mention?
Captain Universe. an extra-dimensional power that possesses individuals (right now, a woman) and makes them a superhero during major crisis events. It wouldn't surprise me if she's the one who pulls the A-Force together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Universe

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Are their main stream good guy teams composed of men that exclude females?

I wonder how that would be taken....

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
BoogieManFL said:
Are their main stream good guy teams composed of men that exclude females?

I wonder how that would be taken....
Nope, they usually have their token female. You think there'd be less bitching if there was one, solitary male member to this?

Anyway, as people who actually know anything about Marvel have already pointed out in this thread, we've already had an all-female X-Men team/ongoing series since 2012, and it's damned good... why is an all-female Avengers team in what is obviously a mini-series even news???

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Nobody bats an eye at all male teams, why are people upset about this? Imagine if people were as cynical about those teams; "God stupid marvel trying to pander to all those meninist idiots with an obviously contrived all male team, hell I bet they'll spend the entire time fighting for better treatment in divorce courts and custody cases!"

Seriously, that's how silly you people sound to me. It's not like comic creators try to shake things up every once in awhile because they're tired of catering to the shareholder mandated status quo, nope, never happens.

Also someone up above mentioned Tigra, I am similarly upset at the lack of Tigra in this image.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Wow, this seems highly unnecessary, and maybe just a bit insulting. It's like they're saying "Men can't be on the team because they'd obviously outshine the female heroes." or something. Will there at least be a plausible explanation for this? I really doubt it.

I honestly wouldn't mind this, if they weren't apparently replacing the Avengers? Are the Avengers all dead? And is this just the writers throwing a tantrum about people not liking the female Thor thing? Because it kind of looks like it is.

scbunchy

Jun 26, 2009
Not sure why She-Hulk is team leader. Captain Marvel, Storm, and even Black Widow all seem like better choices to me. She is still a hulk after all.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
Lightknight said:
So it's like a no men allowed super hero club? Ok. Kinda taking a step back on equality but whatevs. It'll be interesting.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Wasn't the point of a lot of comic reading women that they want the women to fight alongside their male teammates, instead of being more gender segregated than bathrooms?