All New X-Men Meet Ultimate Spider-Man in New "Dimension Hopping" Story

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
All New X-Men Meet Ultimate Spider-Man in New "Dimension Hopping" Story

Marvel has announced a new storyline that see the time travelling heroes of All New X-Men "scattered across the Ultimate Universe."

With a few <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Men>exceptions Marvel has kept its 616 and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/ultimate%20marvel>Ultimate universes relatively separate from one another. They've obviously had some parallel's, to be sure, but the progression of their worlds and the overarching plots have remained largely (and often mercifully separate). Come September however, the two universes will again be crossing paths again as writer Brian Michael Bendis sends the cast of All New X-Men on a universe hopping trip into the Ultimate Universe.

In a new plotline hinted at in issue 31 of All New X-Men and formally revealed today in a press release from Marvel, the time-displaced X-Men (Jean Grey, Iceman, Beast and Angel) will be "scattered across the Ultimate Universe" where they'll have to "find their way back to each other if they [want to] have any hope of finding their way back home!" Being the Ultimate line's most popular character, Miles Morales (a.k.a. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/11452-Miles-Morales-Ultimate-Spider-Man-1-A-Potential-Misstep>The Ultimate Spider-Man) will, of course, be making an appearance, as will "some of the Ultimate Universe's heaviest hitting villains."

[gallery=3025]

Setting aside the fact that it'd be nice for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel%20comics>Marvel's various X-Men books to step away from time travel and "dimension hopping" for five minutes, I do have to admit that this storyline has me a bit intrigued. After all, it's already been indicated in the past that there will be consequences if the time travelling heroes of All New X-Men cease to exist in the present day 616 universe. While they'll still technically be alive, one has to wonder if their moving to another plane of existence will have any negative effects on their home universe. We'll have to wait until September to find out, but I can personally say I'll be eager to read it.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
You know, aren't most/all of the Ultimate universe counterparts of the All-New X-Men dead from the Ultimatum storyline?

I think that it might actually make a lot of sense to just have them stay there, since they're about the same age as the original Ultimate versions.

Dec 16, 2009
man, I've gone more n more off Ultimates since the death of Spidey. Miles is just a black Peter, when they coulda done something amazing like Superior, but permanent.

I remember when Ultimates started, I think Bendis said; when they start crossing with the 616 universe, they're officially running out of ideas

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Mr Ink 5000 said:
man, I've gone more n more off Ultimates since the death of Spidey. Miles is just a black Peter, when they coulda done something amazing like Superior, but permanent.
I won't talk about the middle of the Superior storyline but the beginning and end sucked! Peter has never looked worse in context.

I remember when Ultimates started, I think Bendis said; when they start crossing with the 616 universe, they're officially running out of ideas
Marvel as a whole is known for going back on the words

Dec 16, 2009
V4Viewtiful said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
I won't talk about the middle of the Superior storyline but the beginning and end sucked! Peter has never looked worse in context.
do you mean the psyche battle between Ock and Peter?
i'm referring to the concept as a whole, a baddie with that new responsibility,combined with his ego.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Mr Ink 5000 said:
He does start out the same way, but he actually has a nice dose of Robin, Terry McGinnis, and I really wish I had the proper analogy here for the final person given that he enjoys his powers a lot less (the fun part is he doesn't outright hate them, but he only enjoys them when he's alone with them, not even crime fighting with them, which is reiterated in his favorite power being camouflage).

He still feels like a secondary character waiting to come into his own, especially when you have Spider-woman/Black Widow beside him, who has already had her "I'm not a just a clone of Peter" arc wrapped up, but it feels right to have him appear in this crossover instead of her.

That being said, Spider-men had Peter overshadow him, and the All-new have been pretty strong (even if Kitty started to overshadow them in their book), so I'm worried we could end up with him taking the backseat again.

As for Superior, he always had the cloud of "this is temporary" hanging over him which really hurt him for me. I would have loved to see them set that up a bit better, because he actually was close to an Agent Venom sort of thing where it was a new direction for the characters that slowly won me over to "I'll know you for this role rather than your previous name"

Dec 16, 2009
Delock said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
He does start out the same way, but he actually has a nice dose of Robin, Terry McGinnis, and I really wish I had the proper analogy here for the final person given that he enjoys his powers a lot less (the fun part is he doesn't outright hate them, but he only enjoys them when he's alone with them, not even crime fighting with them, which is reiterated in his favorite power being camouflage).

He still feels like a secondary character waiting to come into his own, especially when you have Spider-woman/Black Widow beside him, who has already had her "I'm not a just a clone of Peter" arc wrapped up, but it feels right to have him appear in this crossover instead of her.

That being said, Spider-men had Peter overshadow him, and the All-new have been pretty strong (even if Kitty started to overshadow them in their book), so I'm worried we could end up with him taking the backseat again.

As for Superior, he always had the cloud of "this is temporary" hanging over him which really hurt him for me. I would have loved to see them set that up a bit better, because he actually was close to an Agent Venom sort of thing where it was a new direction for the characters that slowly won me over to "I'll know you for this role rather than your previous name"
I'll be honest, I stopped following Ult Spidey after the first few arcs, and other Ult's lost my interest over time until the end of the most recent Gal-Lak-Tus event. I tried reading Ult FF, but I'm done now the most recent arc has finished; especially with the last few pages of Coulson "thats what it does" after firing a ray gun and Stark saying "shwarwama" at the end. almost felt Marvel trolled me.

As for Superior, he always had the cloud of "this is temporary" hanging over him which really hurt him for me.
yes, i had that feeling to, managed to ignore it, but could see the end coming when Amazing Spiderman 2 was due for release

Hyperstorm

Nov 27, 2013
Sounds like a fun concept so may pick it up in trade even though I recently got off All New X-Men. Bendis not caring how time travel works in the Marvel universe was one thing, but the Shiar putting Jean Grey on trial for something that had already one to trial was the breaking point.

That said I love the characters and I love Miles so I hope it's well received.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I just want a dedicated Spier-woman comic. Jessica Drew is so interesting.

Firanai

Jun 7, 2010
Sigh..I started reading comics with the ultimate universe and I loved it then came ultimatum and they screwed it. The more time it passes the more I'm convinced that they are gonna cancel the ultimate universe and move it's characters to 616. A universe with no consequences where everything goes back how it was over and over again. It's not that I think 616 is all bad, I think it has some good stories but it's just too silly and cartonish for me and like I said before there is no growth or meaningful changes. Oh well it was a good ride...