All Skyrim needs is...

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Better quests.
Wouldn't fix all the niggles with it, but it would remedy one of the big ones.

Bobicus5

Apr 12, 2010
Eddy-16 said:
IamLEAM1983 said:
I'd love to read it but, y'know, small image size and everything. URL, plz?
http://i.imgur.com/I96AE.jpg
Ask and ye shall receive.
I mostly remember oblivion because of the quests, namely the first one on this list.
And yes, this paragraph does put into words what the questing feels like in Skyrim.

Personally, Skyrim felt kind of empty. I went and read a list of the creatures in Skryim,
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Creatures_%28Skyrim%29, and for a land mass the size of Skyrim you would think there would be more animals. And now that I think of it, considering the ammount of dragur infesting the land, you would think a ambitious group of necromancers would have attempted to form their own army from them. I don't recall seeing much of a ecosystem in Skryim, ala wolves or frost trolls taking down deer. Speaking of wolves, you would think they would pack up more, posing a threat to the inhabitants of Skyrim, compared to how dangerous they used to be

From what I remember, there really wasn't much in the way of color in Skyrim, not like in Oblivon with the Dunmer city of Cheydinhal, which had purple roofs. But then of course, most of the Dunmer in Skyrim are refugees from Morrowind, with more everyone in Skryim giving them the evil eye.

Also, it would be nice to see more options for the civil war. Say, for example, neither siding with the Empire or the Stormcloaks, rather making your own path. Do all the Thalmor wish war with the Empire, or might there perhaps be splinters that have come into play of their own accord?
Personally, I would want more consequence for assassinating Thalmor Justiciars and their bands of allies just out of sight of town, maybe even going so far as to recruit Thalmor to fight against their own kind.

As for the main quest, I did enjoy most of the set pieces, such as Sovngarde. However, I didn't feel as there was much in the way of contention between the Empire and the Stormcloaks in between main story points. As far as I can remember, the forts you find out in the wilderness of Skyrim, that have dead Stormcloaks in them, have been killed by maages or bandits, not Imperial soldiers. As to the causes for the opposing forces, I didn't really feel a deep immersion to help either of them, in fact, I didn't choose a side in the war, I just up and left it after I finished the main story line.
I would have liked it if you could form your own force, even going to the extent of uniting the Stormcloaks and the Empire to face the looming Falmor threat.
The civil war isn't helping anyone, each side killing off eachother and further weakening their forces. so maybe an option to help settle the differences between Ulfric and General Tullius, and the eventual Second Great War, because we all know that's on its way. But, even with the combined forces of the remnants of the Empire and the Stormcloaks, it would take much more to defeat the Thalmor. Therefore, it would be a nice touch, if not in Skyrim, but in another ES game, to bring the forces of the Red Guard, the Khajiitt, Dunmer, and so forth into contention with the Thalmor.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
AdumbroDeus said:
Tanis said:
All Skyrim needs is to be more like Oblivion. No, I'm serious. TES4 had some GREAT quests that weren't all 'kill everything in catacombs A/B/C/Z'.
You mean morrowind right?
Yeah, Morrowind is a great game too.

However some of the quests in TES4:O was pretty good with it's 'odd' quests.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Fireprufe15 said:
Hmm, I personally feel like you about Skyrim, but I've also seen people enjoy the shit out of it. I'm starting to think maybe we're playing it wrong.
from my experience, it's one of those games you have to be in the right mindset to enjoy. if you just want a simple, instant gratification type of game, the type you can just jump into and play for whatever amount of time, this will probably bore you quickly. But if you want more of a interesting role playing game, that you are will to invest time into, then it can be quite enjoyable.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
The removal of letting enemies disarm you which once forced me to restart a fight about 5 times god that was annoying.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Lazy said:
Those Oblivion gates were repetitive and boring as fuck though.
Oh lord yes. Played through the GOY edition of Oblivion from scratch last month and loved every bit of it apart from the oblivion gates they are very samey.

The fighting in all Bethsheda games leave a lot to be desired...perhaps some kind of VATS system in the next TES game? awesome opportunity to do some great cut scenes of insta kills and dismemberment...

Oh and even though I've said it before more options in the last blades quest as well in Skyrim..

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
Metalhandkerchief said:
I think the worst part about (as a fan) Skyrim is the familiarity. It looks exactly like Norway, and with some modifications could look very familiar to most of Canada and Scandinavia and some of USA. With those being substantial game markets, I think people need a bit more "alien" in their fantasy games.

That said, I still rank Skyrim higher than Oblivion (but obviously not higher than Morrowind)
I think Oblivion and Skyrim are on the same level, just for different reasons.

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
One thing I find a little bit weird is, with Oblivion I really wanted to do some random missions after I finished the Guild quests.

I would have loved to do random kill/fetch/find missions.

Skyrim, no so much. I guess its because the actual guild missions are pretty much just that. But I dunno.

Alaster Angelo

Jul 12, 2010
I want:

-To marry Serana
-To be able to use spears (or at least use staves as spears)
-Capes or cloaks
-More black magic witchcraft stuff, because you can't have enough of that
-Teleporting/flying (outside of Vampire Lord)
-Better bosses

Really though, it's all just little stuff that isn't necessary.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
What Skyrim needs is a reason to explore. That is all any TES game requires. There are more than 200 dungeouns in the world and yet the main game gives little motivation to do anything in any of them. Across all the guilds and the main story a player will explore perhaps 50 locations. By level 20 or 30 (of 81) a player is an unstoppable killing machine. There is no story reason to explore the other locations and even the draw of loot is mitigated by the fact that in the base game there are precious few items that can be acquired of any real worth.

Some of the dragon masks have utility the player can not match. The Ebony Mail and Savior's hide at least offer a unique look in conjunction with useful enough bonuses. Chillrend is the most powerful 1H sword in the base game (if you pick it up after hitting level 46). But even then only Chillrend is truly useful in a min/max situation with its higher-than-daedric damage and useful damage/paralysis magic combo.

The problem Skryim has is that the giant open world begs the player to explore and in the end there really isn't anything interesting to find or any particularly compelling reason to go.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Eclectic Dreck said:
The problem Skryim has is that the giant open world begs the player to explore and in the end there really isn't anything interesting to find or any particularly compelling reason to go.
Your missing the entire point of exploration in the Elder scrolls.

You are supposed to explore to enjoy the scenery, not for the loot.

If you are trying to explore for loot are you missing the point because Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim were not about exploring for loot, considering that 90% of places always had crap loot.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
Your missing the entire point of exploration in the Elder scrolls.

You are supposed to explore to enjoy the scenery, not for the loot.

If you are trying to explore for loot are you missing the point because Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim were not about exploring for loot, considering that 90% of places always had crap loot.
The "scenery" in this case is largely repetitive. After 50 dungeons, you've seen everything the game has to show you.

Don't mistake my criticism as being a condemnation - I adore the game. I just want the game to give me more reasons to play.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Eclectic Dreck said:
The "scenery" in this case is largely repetitive. After 50 dungeons, you've seen everything the game has to show you.

Don't mistake my criticism as being a condemnation - I adore the game. I just want the game to give me more reasons to play.
There is quite literally not a single Dwemer ruin, or old Nordic tomb, that did not ave at least one, if not multiple areas, that were entirely unique to it.

If you think you have seen everything only after 50 or so places you are sorely mistaken.

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Eclectic Dreck said:

There is quite literally not a single Dwemer ruin, or old Nordic tomb, that did not ave at least one, if not multiple areas, that were entirely unique to it.

If you think you have seen everything only after 50 or so places you are sorely mistaken.
dude, slightly different rooms might be unique, but its not interesting. Even in the slightest.
It's certainly not a reason to explore further. There are very few actually awesome area's and almost none outside of the major quest lines.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Soopy said:
dude, slightly different rooms might be unique, but its not interesting. Even in the slightest.
It's certainly not a reason to explore further. There are very few actually awesome area's and almost none outside of the major quest lines.
If it is interesting or not is a matter of opinion, and I know many that would consider it interesting.

That's like saying exploring the metro in Fallout 3 wasn't fun because it all looks similar, well some may feel that way, but I know tons of people who do consider it fun.

If you don't find it fun then ES really isn't for you, because that's been the focus since Daggerfall.

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
grey_space said:
Lazy said:
Those Oblivion gates were repetitive and boring as fuck though.
-snip-
That's weird... you quoted me, but I'm pretty sure I didn't say that. Let me check.

-check-

Nope, definitely wasn't me.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
Eclectic Dreck said:

I agree with SajuukKhar about the interesting locations. So many times I've said "Another tomb. OK." but at some point before the end I usually end up saying "Ooooh ahhh interesting." because I find something unique that puts a new spin on the location. That only happened sometimes in Morrowind and rarely in Oblivion.

On the other hand, I think more and longer faction missions to get you out into the world would only be a good thing. I don't shy away from pursuing something just because it looks interesting, but in general I think it's good to balance directed and freeform exploration.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
The good of Skyrim is that it has many new ideas and features. The bad of it is that none of them is enough fleshed out as other ideas have been in past Elder Scrolls games.

So you can do more things in Skyrim,but the game doesn't give you enough motivation to do them, which makes them redundant.

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
Soopy said:
I'll be darned, another thread where the OP complains about Skyrim, either there's been a higher amount of these in the last days or I've just accidently come across them more often.
Seems everyone has been starting to hate on it recently.

I like it, don't see why people think it is a poorly done TES title, I've played them from Morrowind and up.

If you get higher up in levels the loot will be better and the enemies will be tougher (or you could change difficulty to Master and you'll have a bit more difficult time overall).

I have had the game since the release night, been playing it since, 10ish or so characters, done everything in the game (DLCs included), about 500ish hours total gametime, still love the game, will keep playing it and I have NOT encountered any bug nor glitch in the game WHAT SO EVER so far, so pardon me if I like it.