All Street Fighter V DLCs Can be Earned for Free

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
All Street Fighter V DLCs Can be Earned for Free

Street Fighter V won't make you pay for additional characters. *Pause for dramatic "yay"-ing*

The announcement that all Street Fighter V gameplay related post-launch content would be earnable instead of just buyable was made during Capcom's EVO 2015 panel, and shared afterwards in a PlayStation blog post.

"Street Fighter V will be the first iteration in the franchise where it is possible for dedicated players to earn all gameplay related content (such as characters) for free, simply by playing the game," Capcom's Community Manager Peter Rosas wrote in a blog post [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/18/street-fighter-v-a-new-way-to-play/]. "Long gone are the days of forced Super and Ultra upgrades! Enjoy free balance updates as soon as they become available, and find and choose the post-launch characters that you want to get."

Street Fighter V will feature two different forms of in-game currency: Fight Money, which is earned by playing the game, can be used to acquire new post-launch gameplay content, such as characters. Zenny, on the other hand, can be purchased with real money in order to immediately gain access to post-launch content. It is not immediately clear what must be done to earn Fight Money (my guess would be win) or how much Zenny will cost.

Later phases of the beta will be used to test the currency in order to ensure it "works in a fair way for everyone."

The game will launch with 16 playable characters, four of which will be brand new to the franchise. "Post-launch, we will be adding new characters to the roster on a continuous basis, which will provide new content for players to enjoy," Rosas stated. "Again, every post-launch character released will be earnable for free through gameplay!"

Street Fighter V will be hitting PlayStation 4 and PC in Spring 2016.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
We'll see how much this is actually earnable?

I remember EA saying the same thing about earning the extra courses for Tiger Woods and the math done ended up needing something ridiculous like 320 hours of dedicated work to unlocking the courses.

I'm game if its like the old days where I had 8 characters or so in Tekken 3 and each clear unlocked someone else.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
FoolKiller said:
We'll see how much this is actually earnable?

I remember EA saying the same thing about earning the extra courses for Tiger Woods and the math done ended up needing something ridiculous like 320 hours of dedicated work to unlocking the courses.

I'm game if its like the old days where I had 8 characters or so in Tekken 3 and each clear unlocked someone else.
What was the IOS game that was like that? I think it was the My Little Pony farmville type game where without using the little gems or coins or whatever to speed up character cooldowns it would take upwards of 1000+ hours to max level all the characters.
And it was straight bullshit.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
If you play it often enough to warrant wanting new characters, you shouldn't need worry about paying (unless they make fight money barrier ludicrously high) and if you don't really play often enough then it's not worth real money anyway.

That's how I see it anyway.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I first read this as "hey fans, you can get the DLC for free if you just put the work in." Which sounds like a good thing to someone that doesn't know this game uses bought currency/micro-transactions to do so anyway. That someone being me, upon reading of said micro-payments, a Yahtzee quote comes to mind; "when dark souls capcom gives you chocolate buttons, it has to take away heart medication with it's other hand." Anyway that's not important or why I came here.
What intrigues me, rather, is what dramatic yay-ing sounds like as opposed to the non-dramatic. Is it louder? With flare? Fire? Makeup? A cult of mwathulkiens sactificing their young to the rhythm of the yays? My imagination has run off somewhere and lost itself, you monster!

Edit: oh, hey I did not see that pink...err creature video posted above before this. It doesn't play on my device so my point still stands. Albeit shakily.

harrisongrimms

Jun 14, 2015
Oh look, free to play elememts in a full priced AAA game.

And we are liking it.

Cant wait for ten years from now, when we have to log into 4 different accounts (xbox live, street fighter account,, street fighter pubishers account (like warner brothers account) and fuck I dunno, maybe we have to log into comcast too) all the better to track our info and "fight piracy"

After paying $90 for our games, we will have to pay $10 an hour to access it, in addition to fee to play elements,, dlcs, multiplayer passes, special editions, preorder content, season passes etc..

Oh and ads. They will probably start putting ads for other games, at the spash screen, or main menus. Im surprised the greedy corperations havent already.

They will only get away with what we let them folks. And they wil allways test us t see what they can get away with. Its allready pathetic we let them get away with thks much.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
o_O given the news is you don't have to pay DLC you can earn currency in game to unlock, we are getting some awfully salty comments.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
No its not Capcom.

Because it used to be all the gameplay content came on the disc and you just had it from the start or unlocked it by beating various modes. Not grinding it out to unlock it by downloading it online.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I really hope they release a 'complete' edition all the same. This idea is pretty great for anyone whose on board with SF5 near launch but awful for someone like me who typically waits for significant price drops.

If I pick up the game 3 years after release am I really going to want to grind for a 1000 hours to unlock a dozen characters? Probably not. Yet I can only assume the DLC for everything will be cost prohibitive over time.

It's smart business for Capcom I'll give them that.
This is a great way to give your game value and income over time. Presumably anyone whose not hardcore will have pressure to spend money.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
No its not Capcom.

Because it used to be all the gameplay content came on the disc and you just had it from the start or unlocked it by beating various modes. Not grinding it out to unlock it by downloading it online.
There were a fair number of games where characters/stages/powers/whathaveyou are only unlockable by paying X amount of ingame money. If anything, this announcement is Capcom returning to form.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
People act like they're being all nice about it, but they're really doing the same thing F2P MMOs did; make the effort rediculous enough to encourage enough to pay you. It's what killed off the F2P MMO market.

These won't be the old school unlockables, they are going to make you grind and grind for them.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
So long as the pricing model is reasonable, I'm not going to complain. It's a step above having to always pay for DLC that you may have the dedication but not the money to get. And in my case, that happens a lot with games.