Almost 40% of Americans Play Freemium Games

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Draconalis said:
Baresark said:
I get and understand what you're saying in terms of the idea of applying statistics to a single person as if it were fact, but I believe that the key words here are "chance" and "likely." It's not confirmed that you have/are, but there's a chance that you might be, and that chance is quantified as 40/60% based on a survey of your peers.

I'm a little out of my element when it comes to syntax of the English language on this level though, It's not something I can point at a dictionary and say "No... this is what this word means" so I admit I might be wrong.
That is a common misconception. That probability doesn't mean anything in real world terms to individuals. As an example I read that is possibly the best explanation of this: the genetic makeup of jamaica is 90% African and 10% European. But as a member of that society, you are not 90% African and 10% European. You could be 100% of either, or 0% of either, or any of the other things in between. The probability only has any indication what so ever of a sample size of the population. Statistics are almost completely meaningless to individuals.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but statistical data like this gets misused all the time when it is in fact not representative of anything having to do with probability of any individual. It's only representative of my town, or my circle of friends (though as I'm sure you know, if it was just a group of my friends, the law of small numbers rules the day and it not indicative of society in any way or form).

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Marshall Honorof said:
The free-to-play market is widespread, lucrative, and ruled by women.
Women are ruining gaming!
Yeah, with their tampons and feelings and shit!

GET ME A CHAINSAW AND SOME MEAT, ERRRRRRRRRRRGH!
TheVioletBandit said:
I had a college class on statistics my last semester, so I understand how they work. But honestly, I still think their shit.
I did not take a college class on statistics and can confirm they are indeed shit.

You go with your gut.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Draconalis said:
Baresark said:
Valid points, and I didn't take it as argumentative at all. I also learned something, so it's been a good day.
I saw you responded which made me think I was just being pig headed, which if you ever look at my post history, is pretty easy for me. I can get passionate (which I'm told is code for being a prick) about things that I have read extensively about. But I always do that and if someone else is equally or even more qualified (which you obviously may be), it becomes an afterthought. I certainly didn't mean to think that I knew more than you without being informed. I also feel the extent to which statistical data is used to improperly represent information is absolutely maddening. I also am aware that the author of this story is only using the data as he has seen it used many many times, so he is not to blame at all.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
All I know is I work in retail and sell lots, Lots, LOTS more F2P gamecards than actual games. I have several customers who spend over $100 each week on Facebook games. Seems to be very lucrative to the companies for what is generally sub-par gaming.

On a personal note, I play a lot of F2P Team Fortress 2, and spend way too much money on it too!

And what gets me, the amount of complaining I hear about game prices. People refuse to spend $60 for Battlefield 3, instead spending hundreds of dollars on Gang Wars. Could have bought a new "Oh my God they're way over-priced!" PS3 each month for what they're spending. If you're deciding to put your money towards less quality merchandise instead, then quit complaining!

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Sober Thal said:
-'Almost 40% of the 6,000 Americans We Asked, Have Played Freemium Games At Least Once'-

There ya go, fixed the title for you.

OT: A few thousand people doesn't impress me much.... unless they were all in the same place, at the same time. Maybe one day I'll find a free to play of my own to love and cherish.

I can only dream.
tries, team fortress 2 and league of legends just to name 3 very good free do play games.

Baneat said:
OT: I hate freemium so, so much but Tribes:Ascend is too fun to play. Dichotomy: I'm at the point where I've unlocked everything I want, problem is I'm now unfairly more powerful than free players. I don't know where to go from that.
why do you hate freemium, also when I started playing tribes I was able to kick peoples asses using just the soldier with no unlocks, while the unlock make you slightly more powerful they don't make you unfairly more powerful.

OT: don't we already know that freemium is a very popular business model?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Sober Thal said:
-'Almost 40% of the 6,000 Americans We Asked, Have [/i]payed for[/i] Freemium Games At Least Once'-
There you go, fixed that for ya.

Not american, but guilty as charged, have tried 3 freemium games, play 1, have made 1 transaction.

Also, freemium is nothing new. The oldest ever graphic mmorpg is freemium (tibia).

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
nuba km said:
Sober Thal said:
-'Almost 40% of the 6,000 Americans We Asked, Have Played Freemium Games At Least Once'-

OT: A few thousand people doesn't impress me much.... unless they were all in the same place, at the same time. Maybe one day I'll find a free to play of my own to love and cherish.

I can only dream.
tries, team fortress 2 and league of legends just to name 3 very good free do play games.

Baneat said:
OT: I hate freemium so, so much but Tribes:Ascend is too fun to play. Dichotomy: I'm at the point where I've unlocked everything I want, problem is I'm now unfairly more powerful than free players. I don't know where to go from that.
why do you hate freemium, also when I started playing tribes I was able to kick peoples asses using just the soldier with no unlocks, while the unlock make you slightly more powerful they don't make you unfairly more powerful.

The plasma gun, jackal, thumper, X1+discs and mines are freakin huge upgrades to their respective class. a 75K unlock (Which would be a huge amount for a F2P) is required to make the DMB what he's supposed to be, Heavy on Flag.

Against lowish levels I definitely feel unfairly powerful, by quite a bit. I'm often thinking the only reason I survived x encounter was cause I could afford the X1 LMG, which is well out of reach for any sane free-to-player.

Plasma gun will be nerfed, but it's just wtfpwn every class atm. It makes the Raider a clear superior to the Soldier in its own role and others.

The Jackal is also immensely powerful. The Stealthfusor was an example of not being able to buy power, merely versatility at cost but the Jackal is just unbelievable.

I'd like to think I'm an amazing player, but how can I tell when I'm backed by all these expensive, powerful guns?

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Baneat said:
nuba km said:
Sober Thal said:

I can only dream.

Baneat said:

The plasma gun, jackal, thumper, X1+discs and mines are freakin huge upgrades to their respective class. a 75K unlock (Which would be a huge amount for a F2P) is required to make the DMB what he's supposed to be, Heavy on Flag.

Against lowish levels I definitely feel unfairly powerful, by quite a bit. I'm often thinking the only reason I survived x encounter was cause I could afford the X1 LMG, which is well out of reach for any sane free-to-player.

Plasma gun will be nerfed, but it's just wtfpwn every class atm. It makes the Raider a clear superior to the Soldier in its own role and others.

The Jackal is also immensely powerful. The Stealthfusor was an example of not being able to buy power, merely versatility at cost but the Jackal is just unbelievable.

I'd like to think I'm an amazing player, but how can I tell when I'm backed by all these expensive, powerful guns?
I haven't seen the plasma gun in action so I can't say anything about that. I have used the thumper with my soldier so I don't think it is any better then the technicians smg, its hard to tell as they are very different guns but using the assault rifle and thumper its often just a matter of situation for which is better. The jackal is the only one which I definitely feel is noticeably more powerful compared to other weapons in the game, I just think that was more of a accidental imbalance and will hopefully be fixed, if not then I will be angry. I will also agree that they need to cut the prices of unlocking new weapons by at about half. Though I will raise my previous point of I was level 1 with no unlocks and I could still fight as good as people with upgrades.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
nuba km said:
I haven't seen the plasma gun in action so I can't say anything about that. I have used the thumper with my soldier so I don't think it is any better then the technicians smg, its hard to tell as they are very different guns but using the assault rifle and thumper its often just a matter of situation for which is better. The jackal is the only one which I definitely feel is noticeably more powerful compared to other weapons in the game, I just think that was more of a accidental imbalance and will hopefully be fixed, if not then I will be angry. I will also agree that they need to cut the prices of unlocking new weapons by at about half. Though I will raise my previous point of I was level 1 with no unlocks and I could still fight as good as people with upgrades.
Tech thumper is way more powerful than the thumper DX, especially given the fact that a TCN fights mostly indoors. Jackal has had its nerf, probably wont be touched again.

And when you're level one, you get matched with people no higher than level 6.