Almost Twice as Many PS4s Have Been Sold Than Xbox Ones

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
This gen has been pretty lame for now. XBone doesn?t seem to have any exclusives anybody gives a poop about and Sony is starting to finally get some traction, but by god has it taken them time. Wii U has a nice assortment of software, but if you don?t like the sort of stuff the big N releases and are more interested in the multiplatform experience, than it certainly is not for you. 3DS is doing fantastically well though it also took it a ton of time to get some traction.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Zenja said:
I will say that after 3 years that is a rather small library considering many are remasters for sony and shovelware for nintendo in favor of Xman490's comment. However, exclusives are certainly on the table at this point and are only going to be more relevant this year as the remasters drop off for Sony and they focus many titles announced at the PS4's unveiling release this year.
Do keep in mind that the PS4 and Xbox One have only been on the market for ~26 months now, both released in November 2013, making them a little over two years old.

Jan 19, 2016
Given that's there's really not a lot of difference in performance between them (PS4 a little better in most cases) and Xbox generally having a better OS and services, it's really a tribute to just how spectacularly Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with the X1 launch that they are in the position they are. Brand message matters, and the message that Microsoft put out at launch was an anti-consumer one, and they have been punished ever since as a result. In spite of a change of leadership and direction, the stain of that launch has still stuck. All Sony has had to do is not screw up royally and release some decent games, and they have strolled away with it. Sony hasn't won this generation, Microsoft lost it on launch day.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
bluegate said:
Zenja said:
I will say that after 3 years that is a rather small library considering many are remasters for sony and shovelware for nintendo in favor of Xman490's comment. However, exclusives are certainly on the table at this point and are only going to be more relevant this year as the remasters drop off for Sony and they focus many titles announced at the PS4's unveiling release this year.
Do keep in mind that the PS4 and Xbox One have only been on the market for ~26 months now, both released in November 2013, making them a little over two years old.
And the market is changing radically. Back in 1995 when I thought picking a a failed PC game for $15 at COMPUSA was an incredible deal, (Witchaven 2: it was broken)I never could have imagined all this free stuff like League of Legends and all the stuff I get with my Gold and PS+ memberships each month.

Actually, I have a back log so large I'll never scratch the surface of it. I've downloaded games I've never even started (Mafia 2 for the 360 probably being the one I want to try the most. My son and I share the one 360 in the house and it is in his room. I rarely touch it and only pitched in to buy it to play Halo 4, which came polished for my XB1).

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
That's wonderful. It's amazing how much damage they did to themselves at the beginning when they had all of the bullshit attached. It seems their hasty backtracking didn't work. Good. Hopefully it'll teach them, and others to never think about doing the things they originally were planning ever again.

I don't own either (PC only), but I'm glad PS4 is winning.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm surprised the PS4 exploded the way it did at the start. I'd imagine a surge of sales would happen now that there's actual games on it (I myself got one a few months ago), but it seems to be steadily rising these days.

Xbox is still selling though. Microsoft probably won't learn from their mistakes, but at least they've backtracked so hard they're starting to provide, though it's largely been through sporadic free games.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
While Sony's lead is quite signifigant, Jorgensen says that both consoles are actually out-performing their predecessors when you look at the sales at the same point in their life-cycles. So much for the whole console gaming is dying doom-and-gloom...
Thats nonsense. looking at raw numbers tells us nothing. market share is whats important. and console market share is shrinking quickly, mostly giving way to mobile market. however interestingly PCs are not shrinking, in fact they are growing, altrough much slower than mobile. The numbers this gen is bigger because the total number of gamers is many times higher. this does not mean much though if your market share is one-digit though.

Orga777 said:
And the PC ports are always good? Ubisoft and WB games are even less optimized on PC to the point they are borderline unplayable (Arkham Knight...)
Actually Ubisoft has gotten a lot better last year. Also Ubisoft kinda got an excuse, it is pushing brand new tech in almost every game that wasnt tested and optimized yet, and improving on it later. When you look back at tech in games we take for granted you realize Ubisoft was implementing them 3-4 years before everyone else. think what you want about quality of their games, but their tech guys are miracle workers.

WB? WB is useless company anyway. just let it kill itself if it wants to. There are more good, well optimized pc exclusives than there are console games combined. its not like arkham knight is going to be the only game coming out that month.

Bilious Green said:
Given that's there's really not a lot of difference in performance between them (PS4 a little better in most cases) and Xbox generally having a better OS and services
Game developers claim that PS4 is around 50% more powerful. we also see this in final products, higher resolution and framerate constantly for PS4. Of course it probably does not help that Xbox OS hogs a quarter of consoles power for itself and makes it unavailable to the game.

Gorfias said:
Actually, I have a back log so large I'll never scratch the surface of it. I've downloaded games I've never even started (Mafia 2 for the 360 probably being the one I want to try the most. My son and I share the one 360 in the house and it is in his room. I rarely touch it and only pitched in to buy it to play Halo 4, which came polished for my XB1).
If you have Mafia 2 on PC as well i suggest you play that version. It adds driving physics simulation which makes driving much more enjoyable. Though careful the engine does not play nice with new hardware sometimes (may bug out and require game restart).

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Strazdas said:
If you have Mafia 2 on PC as well i suggest you play that version. It adds driving physics simulation which makes driving much more enjoyable. Though careful the engine does not play nice with new hardware sometimes (may bug out and require game restart).
Nope, not yet but I'll keep my eyes peeled. Got it free from gold on the 360. Hard to beat that price.