Almost Twice as Many PS4s Have Been Sold Than Xbox Ones

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Almost Twice as Many PS4s Have Been Sold Than Xbox Ones

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/681/681059.jpg
EA says that lifetime sales of the Xbox One and PS4 have hit 55 million, which, minus Sony's 36 million, leaves Microsoft with just 18 million.

While Sony is eager to boast [https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.jp.playstation.com%2Fblog%2Fdetail%2F2159%2F20160105-ps4.html%3Ftkgpscom%3Ddc_ps4_ps_tw_20160105&edit-text=] about how many PS4s it has sold, Microsoft has been a tad more quiet - a move people were attributing to the possibility that the Xbox One isn't selling quite as well as the company had hoped. Well, if these numbers from EA are to believed, it looks like Microsoft has had every reason to not reveal its figures.

During an earnings call [http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=952277], EA CFO Blake Jorgensen let slip that lifetime sales for both the Xbox One and PS4 combined are estimated at 55 million. If you minus Sony's reported 36 million sales, it leaves Microsoft with just 18 million - a little more than half of what Sony has shipped.

"I think our business seems to be operating pretty consistent as it has been over the last couple of years," said Jorgensen. "The console purchases are up through the end of calendar year '15. Our estimate is 55 million units out there which has exceeded virtually everyone's forecast for the year and now almost 50 percent higher than previous console cycle so, all of that is very, very positive."

While Sony's lead is quite signifigant, Jorgensen says that both consoles are actually out-performing their predecessors when you look at the sales at the same point in their life-cycles. So much for the whole console gaming is dying doom-and-gloom...

So the bottom line is that while Sony is very clearly winning this war, console gaming is still in a very good place.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/01/ea-lets-slip-lifetime-xbox-one-and-ps4-consoles-sales/]

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
freaper said:
Sony Has Sold Almost Twice as Many PS4s Than Xbox Ones
I never imagined otherwise, considering Sony doesn't sell Xbox One.
Damn, beat me to it! But yea, I could've predicted this back at the beginning of this console cycle, what with MS so determined to keep the kinect bundled in. But with such similar hardware and almost entirely stock PC parts, easing compatibility issues that plagued the PS3, nobody's really coming out a loser this gen.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Remus said:
freaper said:
Damn, beat me to it! But yea, I could've predicted this back at the beginning of this console cycle, what with MS so determined to keep the kinect bundled in. But with such similar hardware and almost entirely stock PC parts, easing compatibility issues that plagued the PS3, nobody's really coming out a loser this gen.
Was my first thought upon reading the title as well :p

And yeah, not too surprised it's doing well considering it (in my opinion) has a whole lot more interesting exclusives than xbone.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Maybe this is a dumb question but how would EA know that? I'm sure they could estimate based on their multiplatform games and how they sell but I can't imagine that could be concrete proof. Am I missing something?

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
That title.

Okay, looks like I'm unoriginal. Anyway, I'm not surprised by this at all. Sony had basically won this generation by not trying to fuck over consumers (unlike Microsoft) so now they get to coast on the wave of momentum that the initial goodwill created for another couple years.

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
freaper said:
But... 0x2=0...

so they've sold no PS4s... what's this thing next to me then?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
RejjeN said:
Remus said:
freaper said:
Was my first thought upon reading the title as well :p
And mine. Also, is it just me or is the word "than" grammatically wrong in that headline, even it it had been meant to say that Sony sold half as many Xbones as they sold PS4s??

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Morti said:
freaper said:
But... 0x2=0...

so they've sold no PS4s... what's this thing next to me then?
It's two ps2's taped together obviously

Seriously though is anyone surprised by this? Microsoft stumbled out of the gate this gen while Sony hit the ground running

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Which is excellent, since Sony is enjoying some well earned success, but Microsoft is still offering enough competition to keep them in line.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Wait, so sales are proportionate to the console power ratio this generation? Interesting.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
While Sony's lead is quite signifigant, Jorgensen says that both consoles are actually out-performing their predecessors when you look at the sales at the same point in their life-cycles. So much for the whole console gaming is dying doom-and-gloom...
At the rate these console games are steadily declining in quality and content and utter lack of split-screen, I kinda wish it WAS dying. Seriously, besides split-screen, what can consoles do well that PC's can't? The only thing consoles offer these days is no hardware requirements for games. But some games these days are so badly built, they run WORSE on consoles than on PC.

And this is coming from an Xbox 360 lover, so yeah.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
Steven Bogos said:
At the rate these console games are steadily declining in quality and content and utter lack of split-screen, I kinda wish it WAS dying. Seriously, besides split-screen, what can consoles do well that PC's can't? The only thing consoles offer these days is no hardware requirements for games. But some games these days are so badly built, they run WORSE on consoles than on PC.

And this is coming from an Xbox 360 lover, so yeah.
And the PC ports are always good? Ubisoft and WB games are even less optimized on PC to the point they are borderline unplayable (Arkham Knight...)

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
What is exciting consumers so much about the PS4 anyways? Its 3D parallelogram shape? Word of mouth? It certainly isn't the few-and-far-between exclusives.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Xman490 said:
What is exciting consumers so much about the PS4 anyways? Its 3D parallelogram shape? Word of mouth? It certainly isn't the few-and-far-between exclusives.
My guess is lower entry price, enough cross-platform games and exclusives combined, with being available in more regions, less of the always-on/no pre-owned fuckery, not including a peripheral that's a creepy hybrid of HAL9000 and a 1984 Camera, and not having so many features walled behind the borders of the United States.

This is not to say they can't have them, but I seem to recall Microsoft making a big deal about them and a solid part of their audience in both Europe, parts of Asia and Australia collectively going "Yeah, so fucking what?".

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Orga777 said:
And the PC ports are always good? Ubisoft and WB games are even less optimized on PC to the point they are borderline unplayable (Arkham Knight...)
Arkham Knight plays great now, just unfortunate it's not a good game... How are the drops to 18 frames per second in Just Cause 3? 15 minute load times in Fallout 4 improve yet? Maybe the drops to 0 frames fixed? Last I heard the console fix for 15 minute load times from Bethesda was "Get an SSD."

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Xman490 said:
It's more accessible then a PC, it's more powerful then a WiiU, and it's not an Xbone. It didn't need to reinvent the wheel to dominate the market. It just needed to be less then $500. Microsoft and Nintendo just handed it to them this generation.

Bloodborne and Persona 5 didn't hurt in my case, though.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Xman490 said:
The majority of people just want a box to play fifa and the likes and are just picking the one that costs less.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Xman490 said:
PS4 exclusives: 23
31 upcoming with a 2016-2017 release date.

Xbox One exclusives: 14
5 upcoming with a 2016-2017 release date.

Wii-U has them both beat but has a lot of shovelware exclusives as a result of Nintendo's 3rd party practices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_exclusives_(eighth_generation)

Both Sony and Nintendo have focused on producing games this generation while Xbox focused on watching TV on a gaming console. This is why Xbox is trailing behind.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Please stop all references to 'console wars'. It really angers me. There is no war, we are not ravenous fanboys who attack people who are fanboys of opposing consoles. The only console war was Nintendo vs Sega.

Any article that refers to this 'console war' just makes me believe that the person who wrote the article, has little integrity and is just using buzzwords. Hell, Sony and Microsoft have been congratulating each other on their latest launches.

Honestly, I do not care that the PS4 has been outselling the Xbox One. It doesn't matter to me at the end of the day. I am fully aware that this comment might get deleted or reports to the moderators, but I have alot of respect for this site, but I just really hate references to a war that doesn't exist