Alpha Protocol is $2 on Steam -- You Should Buy It

Nulmas

Jul 16, 2010
Wow. I wasn't aware there was so much love for Alpha Protocol around the interwebs. I was aware of the hatred, though.

Personally, I bought it for 20? and never regreted it :)

RagnaThePig said:
I know the pistol trick. At this point I had sinked all my points in my fists (not knowing those were useless), my stealth and my hacking skills. I had to change to a different hub to get easier missions and more experience points to buy those pistol skills. I still think it is a bad boss fight when the only way to defeat it is a frontal assault in a game that tries to emulate Deus Ex.
I feel your pain, man. I had the exact same problem with Brayko. I didn't go back, though... Somehow, I actually managed to beat him :p

All in all, I think AP was a decent game that could have been great. You can see some brilliance shining through, but it ultimately falls a bit short.

I loved it, but I'm aware it's mostly due to personal tastes.

Still, it's a shame the sequel got cancelled. I'd love to see a more polished version of this game.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
And off I go to buy that, if only to support Obsidian. Oh, and yeah, I agree with OP, totally worth 2 bucks if you like stealth or cRPGs.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
I already bought Medieval II, but I might have to consider this as well. Despite giving it such a negative evaluation, Yahtzee somehow managed to make me morbidly curious about the game.

Edit: Bought it. Will check it out after knocking off some necessary items on the to-do list.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
razer17 said:
It's a waste of $2 dollars if it's not a game you will enjoy. Looking at this thread, the game is pretty polarising. Some people love it, some hate it. If you hate it, then $2 dollars is a waste, even if it just $2 dollars. If I just went out and wasted $2 dollars everyday it would really add up.
That's why the price point of $2 is so great. There is only one way to find out which camp you are in: you play it. If you like it, then yougot a great game and an awesome price. If you don't like it, then you are just down two dollars, which really isn't that big of a deal.

It is a risk, yeah, but it's a very affordable risk.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Furioso said:
All of the "Total War" games are on sale too, seriously, those are much more deserving of your money than alpha protocol
THIS. Never played AP, however I still play Rome to this day. SUCH a fantastic game, may buy it again on Steam cause my PC wont run it anymore, seriously. BUY ROME TOTAL WAR NAAAAAAAAOOOOO.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
I actually liked this game a lot. People should play it.

In fact, I played it twice, and the second time was rookie, which meant I had no skills at all!

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
KarlMonster said:
Edit: IGN gave the game a 6.3, which means its about a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10
IGN pretty much bases it scores on how much its viewers want to see the game perform, so dross like Final Fantasy 13 can get a "great" 8.9 or its inbred twin Dragon Age 2 a 8.5. They occasionally like to throw a game to the wolves when they can get a away with it so they can deflate their absurdly imbalanced score system. They just choose games with minimal advertising, niche fan appeal and ones which they intentionally play like retards to make it look like the game isn't working. Really the best way to get a good score on IGN is to make sure you throw down the advertising dollars and flood them with bullshit "first looks" and news releases to get some loyalty with them.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
Mr Thin said:
WHAT IS WITH PEOPLE SAYING IT'S NOT WORTH IT AT $2.

IT'S TWO BLOODY DOLLARS! There is no concievable situation you could be in where you are able to use the internet, and yet consider spending two dollars on a AAA title not worth your money.
I hate shooters. Sell it to me now. :p

For the same $2, I could get Crazy Taxi (okay, $2.24). I could get DLC for a Total War game I enjoy more. There are a lot of really good games on the Sega sale list that I would happily buy before a shooter.
Alpha Protocol is not a shooter. I think a lot of people were expecting a shooter, and were severely disappointed when they got an actual RPG.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
The first few posts hailed it, so I bought it. Then I saw a post say its a crappier version of Deus Ex HR. Well dammit a crappy version of Deus Ex HR is worth 2 bucks xD

brumley53

Oct 19, 2009
I think I bought this game just after playing James Bond Bloodstone and so I wanted a real James Bond game. I played only using pistols(boss fights were an exception)and only wearing the standard clothes. I managed to sneak my way through the whole game knocking people out with tranq rounds and getting awesome pistol head shots. I really liked it and the only bug I noticed was for the first mission or so the audio was out of sync.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
The game isn't worth two dollars.

I played it when it came out.

Its a buggy, unpolished, unfinished piece of shit. Its the retarded, paralyzed-below-the-waste drooling on your desk step-cousin of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

The only, only thing Alpha Protocol has for it is that it had several interesting characters who were shamed by being in such a shitty game. But every thing else is 100% pure, refined shit.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Aris Khandr said:
Mr Thin said:
WHAT IS WITH PEOPLE SAYING IT'S NOT WORTH IT AT $2.

IT'S TWO BLOODY DOLLARS! There is no concievable situation you could be in where you are able to use the internet, and yet consider spending two dollars on a AAA title not worth your money.
I hate shooters. Sell it to me now. :p

For the same $2, I could get Crazy Taxi (okay, $2.24). I could get DLC for a Total War game I enjoy more. There are a lot of really good games on the Sega sale list that I would happily buy before a shooter.
Well, it's not really much of a shooter. You can pretty much get through the game without firing a shot, either by avoiding the enemies altogether, sneaking up to them and using a lethal or non-lethal takedown, or just beating the snot out of them with regular hand-to-hand. Besides that, though, the focus isn't really on the combat, it's pretty much all about crafting a spy-thriller story through your actions. Besides a basic framework of events, the way the story plays out, what side you end up on, who your allies and enemies are, who gets to live or die, etc, is all up to the choices you've made throughout the whole game (ie, no cheap-ass "play one way the whole game, make a complete 180 with a last minute choice" like in Deus Ex 1,2,3, VtMB, Fallout 3, etc).

Nov 12, 2010
Honestly, who cares how elaborate the choices are if your game is a piece of crap. Go read
"Choose Your Own Adventure" instead and save yourself a massive amount of headaches. I hated it for: terrible controls (more often than not you'll overshoot your desired destination, plus the overall controls are just unresponsive, even sneaking is broken because of it, let alone the combat on harder difficulties), terrible gunplay (way too much spread), terrible level design. I tried fixing the spread, it's easily done by modifying the Unreal .ini files (takes a lot of effort though - too many variables for too many weapons), but this couldn't save AP from the shitty level design, nor control issues.

Arrzarr

May 31, 2011
£1.50? for what? a game? a game that will potentially keep me entertained for longer than the 3 litres of pepsi max that I could get for that price? really?

I mean, I can get this RPG game, that emphasises RP more than almost any game you care to mention...for £1.50?

come on, it's £1.50, you may as well give it a try. This post, combined with the yahtzee review has kinda sold me for the hell of it...

Sephren468

Jul 19, 2011
Its more like a much better version of Mass Effect 2 (not saying much)IMO. While it does have stealth the combat is some what closer to ME. I got it at release and did a few runs. Its a great game and well worth $2...