Alright boys, answer me this about Deathclaws...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Not a difficult question of how to kill, where to find, how badly you're screwed, etc. Just a simple little inquiry.

Have you heard Deathclaws howl before?

Friend of mine and I were talking about this, and I'm pretty sure I did hear 'em at one point.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
yeah, I have. scary as hell! I got through their cave and they still scare me to death.

Thamous

Sep 23, 2008
Not once and considering they're giant mutated iguanas I don't really see why they would.

Sifter49

May 12, 2010
To be honest, I never heard a howl. I've heard their snarl and scrape as they tried to make love to my eye socket repeatedly, but I haven't heard them 'howl.'

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
The only one i saw and heard howl was the legendary death claw in NV that was about 2 seconds before i disintegrated his friken brain with the alien blaster.

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
you mean when they rear their head back and spread their arms out right before they charge you, cause if you do then yes i've seen it, though i'd sooner describe it as a roar then a howl.

mirror's edgy

Sep 30, 2010
Thamous said:
Not once and considering they're giant mutated iguanas I don't really see why they would.
This is a good point. However, they did evolve to have a million times more muscle mass and walk (or jump for that matter) on two legs. I can see them being able to howl.

Hell, they learned how to talk without much trouble, so I'm willing to believe it.

Thamous

Sep 23, 2008
mirror said:
Thamous said:
This is a good point. However, they did evolve to have a million times more muscle mass and walk (or jump for that matter) on two legs. I can see them being able to howl.

Hell, they learned how to talk without much trouble, so I'm willing to believe it.
Weren't the talking deathclaws an Enclave experiment?

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
yes, yes they were
Thamous said:
mirror said:
Thamous said:

Weren't the talking deathclaws an Enclave experiment?
yes, yes they were indeed

EDIT: to be a little more detailed, they tried to increase their intelligence so that they could use them as shocktroops, unfortunately the treatment worked far too well and the smart deathclaws became rather "docile" as a result.
in the end this seemed to lead to mind controlled deathclaws in fallout 3.

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
I imagine that if I did, I'd have to curl up into the fetal position and cry for a few days. Therefore I'm not clicking on any Youtube links posted on this thread.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
i have heard them roar before, but to hear it i had to be pretty close. close to the point of having my face ripped off before needing to reload the last save.

Miggiwoo

Aug 7, 2011
I have, they do. I like how they are set up to be terrifying, I remember I spotted my first one in New Vegas on my way to Novac, there's a camp to the west of the road before the ranger station. I was in heavy metal armor with my 9mm SMG and thought I was Hercules. I learned...

After that, Deathclaw Valley was more nerve wracking than AVP2.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I think I've heard them do that before. Then I open up with Vengeance and half a grands worth of ammo later everything's gold again. Can't remember what I used in NV, but I imagine it wasn't as nicely named. Also probably cheaper.