Alright guys, whos up to the challenge? What's your favorite romantic comedy?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Definitely the Korean film "My Sassy Girl"!

Ok it's a tad more romantic depending which scenes you're talked about but it does have a far amount of comedy like that amusement park hostage situation!

Excluding WALL-E, the romance in this film does feel really genuine like you can clearly see their loved for each other at the end!

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
500 Days of Summer definitely gets my vote, gosh I enjoyed the hell out of that film for being the anti-romcom romcom it is. This scene alone makes it one of my favorite movies overall really;

I think lots of people can relate to this :p I sure as hell can haha

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Tied with the obvious The Princess Bride, I would say my favorite romcom is probably 10 Things I Hate About You. The humor is just enough of a play on typical high school bullshit combined with a believable romance and 3-dimensional characters that grow over the course of the movie. The great thing is that the characters appear to be mere stereotypes and cliches at first glance but reveal that they aren't quite so predictable as the movie progresses.

It does a lot of the right things that most other romantic comedies seemingly DON'T do.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
My list,
* True Lies
* Princess Bride
* Mr. & Mrs. Smith
* Stardust
* Wall-E
* Groundhog Day
* Airplane
* Spaceballs

"I am not bound to please thee with my answers" -William Shakespeare

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Er, does Get Over It count?

It's typically referred to as a 'teen comedy', but it is romantic, and is a comedy, sooo... A sharp, witty script, great performances from Ben Foster and Kirsten Dunst as the two leads, and it has real heart'n'soul. An intermittently fine soundtrack, too.

And also apropos Shakespeare (Get Over It's story hinges on a [terrible] school production of A Midsummer Night's Dream), Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing was awesome:

Does Juno count? 'Cause it should totally count:

And The Adjustment Bureau absolutely counts:

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
There's really only one answer.

Damn, that's a great answer...I was going to admit to liking Sleepless in Seattle then move on to talking about how much I liked Suzuka on the anime front but neither of those include shadow-wang, Reynold-ass or, katana death.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
The movie that came directly to mind is When Harry Met Sally. Everything about the movie was top notch and realistic.

I have to go through my movie collection to come up with some obscure rom-com that have some subversions on the genre. e.g. The man and woman don't get back together.

If there was one genre that feminists should complain about being insulting and sexist to women, it should be romantic movies (comedies & dramas). Jesus! If people did in real life what they do in romantics movies, it would end with someone going to prison. At least, receiving a restraining order.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I generally don't count sci-fi, fantasy, or animated features as rom-coms typically because the rom-com part tends to take a back seat to the main plot. To me a rom-com is date night fodder: it's something sweet or bittersweet that makes you want to cuddle. The one that always comes to mind for me would be 50 first dates. I freaking love that movie.

Deadpool is a phenomenal answer, though.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Monster In Law. J-lo, Wanda Sykes, Jane Fonda, and a whole lot of laughs.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Bedazzled.

Fun film. Brendan Fraser is charming. Liz Hurley is great as the female deuteragonist/antagonist who isn't the love interest. Ends in a messages that sometimes you don't get to be with the one you were pining after and you have to move one.

Werekettle

Apr 17, 2010
To throw in one that hasn't (I don't think) been mentioned so far: Wild Target - Any movie with Bill Nighy is a winner really

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
WolfThomas said:
Bedazzled.

Fun film. Brendan Fraser is charming. Liz Hurley is great as the female deuteragonist/antagonist who isn't the love interest. Ends in a messages that sometimes you don't get to be with the one you were pining after and you have to move one.
I love Bedazzled! It was an extremely underrated movie. It was unjustly compared to the original movie from the 60's.

I haven't looked at my movie collection yet. Just some other movies on the top of my head: Princess Bride (I know I've been ninja'ed on that choice.)
Chasing Amy
The American President

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
There have been some really good candidates suggested. "Princess Bride", obviously, though one could argue as to the genre. "Love, Actually" as well.

Of things I've seen quasi-recently, "Crazy Stupid Love" and "Don Jon" were both quite good, and I appreciated some effort not to ride straight down the rails of the usual romantic comedy cliches.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Love actually is the one i remember, but i also liked the one where sandra bullock plays a canadian buisnesswoman who is forced to marry her subordinate in order to stay in the US and then they go to an island in alaska. It was good stuff. Three wedding and a funeral

TheBanMan_v1legacy

Sep 17, 2010
A lot of what I would suggest has been listed already, so I'll just add True Romance...

The Wiki [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Romance] page for it lists "...elements of black comedy and romance...", so I'm going to say it fits!

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Obviously 'Deadpool' is #1, but since it's probably already been mentioned a dozen times...

"Just Friends": Friggin love this movie. This was the movie that made me realize how much talent Ryan Reynolds has for comedy. Anna Faris is hilarious in it as well, and basically the whole movie is worth it just for the scenes of Ryan Reynolds with his mom and younger brother.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Ted and Ted 2, can't decide which. They're both awwwsome.
Paul is pretty good too. Cracking the shut-in's shell so she could plant that signature line on Sigourney Weaver was *sniff* beautiful.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Hard to name one that hasn't been named already... Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain was my first thought, but it was listed on the first page. The Princess Bride is also an easy pick, but it's present in pretty much half the posts in the thread.

I'll with two picks I don't think have been mentioned yet, Punch-Drunk Love, and Her.