Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
The right answer if you are a nerd is Baldurs Gate 2. It is like HL2, not that good, but held in legendary regard.

I would say Dark Souls, because for some reason that is thrown into the RPG genre even though I would not consider it an RPG. The combat is excellent and there is no story I have to slog through to get to the sweet, precious gameplay. Its multiplayer adds on short term replay value and its "difficulty" adds on long term replay value. The game has a fucking SHITLOAD of problems, but I don't think I have enjoyed an "RPG" as much as I have DS.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
SpaceBat said:
Top 5 RPG's of all time in no particular order:
- Chrono Trigger (Probably the winner)
- Planescape: Torment
- Baldur's Gate 2
- Fallout 2
- Knights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords / Super Mario RPG (Can't decide)

The original KotoR is so incredibly overrated IMO (Shitty gameplay, disappointing main plot, decent characters), it's not even in my top 10. The ones who just barely didn't make the top 5 are Fallout 1, Tales of Symphonia, Diablo 2, Mass Effect and Deus Ex.
I will praise your list to the skies, my friend!
I could not agree more.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
Recent best RPGs in no particular order:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Witcher 2

Fallout: New Vegas

Mass Effect 1+2

Dragon Age: Origins

Vampire:The Masquerade: Bloodlines

Before 2005:

Knights of the Old Republic

Deus Ex 1

Baldur's Gate 2

Overall: Knights of the Old Republic was one of the best RPGs I've played. Yes it was extremely linear in comparison to other RPGs but never before had I been so attached to the plot and the characters. The game just a way in making you fit into the shoes of Revan. In short, I would always remember my role as Revan as he went from the hero of the Republic to the Dark Lord of the Sith to the Prodigal Knight. No game has ever come even close in bringing that connection since.

Runner-ups: Baldur's Gate 2, Witcher 2, Mass Effect 2 (Sorry but I consider Shepard as a role I play), and Dragon Age: Origins.

I tried Planescape Torment but in the end the gameplay just felt too much of a drag. That said, I agree that the writing is one of the strongest I've seen in a game.

Currently, I'm considering delving into Fallout 1+2 and the recent Alpha Protocol. Any opinions if I should invest my time in them (especially for the latter)? :)

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
Neverwinter Nights. Easily.

A lot of people seem to take "RPG" to mean a game that puts an emphasis on story and characters rather than just gameplay. I have never considered story and characters to belong inherently to RPGs (ideally they belong in every game). To me, an RPG is any game where you either create the main character to customise him or her to your liking as the game goes on, and where you develop your abilities as the game goes on. In other words a game with a skill or level-up system.

For me, the best leveling system and customisation ever is in NWN. And because of the level editor, it has more replay value than any other RPG in existence, I think. People complain that the official campaign is not particularly good, and they're right, but if you embrace the fan community then that won't matter to you in the slightest.

ToxicOranges

Aug 7, 2010
I'm gonna get shouted at for these choices, but...

World of Warcraft, Skyrim, Oblivion. I haven't played any other RPG for longer lengths of time than these games.

Oh, and I fucking love / have loved all of em.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
A toss up between;

KOTOR

and

Skyrim

Until recently, I was drawn between Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas... and then Skyrim came along and I have virtually no gripes with it; I can practically list them on one hand. As for which is better, I don't really know; they both have distinct strengths. Skyrim may not stay where it is as I've not finished it, but so far, excellent.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Turn based? Golden Sun.
Action? Takes of Symphonia, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls.
This year? Dark Souls.
Ever? I can't decide that one. I love all kinds of RPG games.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Oh man, there are so many incredible RPGs out there...

For best wRPG, I'd probably say Morrowind. Skyrim is fantastic and all, but it still doesn't feel as "homey" as Morrowind (and Oblivion was a steaming pile of crap).

For best jRPG, I'd probably say it's tied between Final Fantasy VI and Persona 4. The former has only become even better with time, and the latter had one of the most likeable casts of characters I've ever seen in a game (SPOILER: I know I'm not the only player who went Knight Templar Big Brother when Nanako was kidnapped).

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
tumultuoustibia said:
I'm putting my vote in for Morrowind. Nothing has ever felt as real and immersive as that game. I don't think it'll ever be surpassed. Any thoughts?
I will say, for its time yes it was and still is at least the Top 5, was better than oblivion to be sure. However, I feel that Skyrim captured alot of the Morrrowind spirit, aside from the gameplay IMPROVEMENTS the tone feels similar. I'd say SKyrim is the best RPG Bethesda has ever done.

Best RPG of all time...Thats tough thoough because of...

badgersprite said:
What kind of RPG are we talking about? RPG is one of those things where every single person kind of has their own personal dictionary of what an RPG is.
This. RPG has had and still does have different catergories in of itself. Open world sanbox RPG, Top down dungeon crawler, Turn based JRPG, Action, etc...

In that respect, Skyrim best Open world RPG, FF7 best JRPG, ME2 best action RPG. Those are just my top three.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
No such thing as "best overall".
Each RPG I like, I like because of its intricacies, and focus.

Best 'traditional' turn-based mechanics: Final Fantasy 6 (it hits all the right notes: it has class-variability, the battle system plays out quickly and smoothly for a turn-based game, and it's a very good game otherwise)
Best "tactics": Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Best story: Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (and Throne of Baal; it's all the same story)
Best styling: Legend of Mana (you will be hard-pressed to find a 2d game that looks this damn good anywhere, and it's a solid game to boot)
Best Roguelike: Still Nethack w/tiles.
Best Tabletop: Shadowrun 3rd Edition

And there are a number of titles that I had to cut from that list.
(Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Secret of Mana, Suikoden 1-3, Persona 3, Morrowind, Kingdom Hearts 1, Disgaea, Illusion of Gaia + Terranigma...)

Not easy cuts either.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Toss-up five games for me between Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment and Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura. But PS:T wins for being far less broken and far more finished than Arcanum or the Fallouts. It's a shame really with regards to Arcanum, Troika really is or rather -was- the king of buggy, unfinished RPG's that were still completely awesome.

Oh right, the fifth: Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Now, I've only played VTM:B recently in the past year. But even before that I'd seen people online whisper of it's pedigree. And it more than lived up to it's hype in my mind. It's a fantastic opened ended urban based vampire RPG with a ton of interesting characters and a reasonably good plot but unfortunately rushed ending. Again, it's Troika game, but it's a great one.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
It's so hard to say, I don't think yet that there has been an RPG that has truly been great in every element(story, characters, world, gameplay). Each seem to excel in one area and just do "ok" in others. So i'll break down some of my favourites into catergories.

World: Skyrim
Combat: The Witcher 2 (also gets a mention for story)
Story: KoTOR
Characters: Dragon Age: Origins.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Dexter111 said:
It is Baldur's Gate 2, you all know it to be true... either you've played it and you agree or you haven't and have missed the best RPG of the past 2 decades xD
Second best. Very close second, but still second *snicker*

Holds_Sway

Dec 20, 2011
Dragon Warrior on the NES. That game consumed my childhood.

Really good old-school games:
The Lunar Series
The Shining Force games
Shadowrun (Genesis version - AMAZING if you're into cyberpunk)
Final Fantasy IX
Chrono Trigger

Recent:
Dragon Age: Origins
Skyrim
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Lost Odyssey
Tales of Vesperia