Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

Hunter112

Jun 17, 2010
I'd say Arcanum. I was the first game that drew me into a rich, immersive world that made me play the game until every possible sidequest was completed. And then I finished it. And started again

Flizzick

Jun 29, 2011
I can't answer that question right now because I'm still being absorbed by the giant, squishy, delicious monster that is Skyrim. Once I find a way back to the surface I'll be able to make a more unbiased decision.

But until that time comes, Skyrim.

Andrew_J_Drake

Oct 23, 2011
Kingdom Hearts, all of them.

Because it has a rediculous concept(Disney+Final Fantasy) that works better than it should, and its actually great.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
lRookiel said:
Oh it's gotta be either Skyrim or Baldurs gate (All of them), I'd defend both of them til my grave. And no I cant choose between either of them since they are both memorable games.

Since I havn't played Morrowind, I can't just judge on what others say :/
AHHH, CHANGE YOUR AVATAR, PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL GODS, DEMONS, AND DAEDRA!

Ahem.

OT: I'll say either Skyrim or Fallout New Vegas.

Skyrim because it has a massive open world that's ridiculously immersive, endless quests, and hours upon hours of replayability.

New Vegas because the gold-standard writing and voice acting did the impossible: it made me care about the people in that world.

Metal_Head

Oct 18, 2011
pokemon, the red/blue and silver/gold.
its an rpg.
you explore, level up your party members. its turn based battles.
btw, NOT a fan rpg games.
tis why i said pokemon.

umad bro?

*although I have started Final Fantasy XIII which is incredibly boring, but my friends say its a good series, so any suggestions as to which FF i should play instead?

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I'm going to have such an unpopular opinion here but...
Kingdom Hearts II

Easily my favourite and most played RPG ever.
The only thing I might have sunk more hours into would be Oblivion but even then I'm not sure.

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
I'm gonna have to say KoTOR. My choice is a little biased based on the fact that it was my first major RPG (I came to video games late) and that every other BioWare title I love, such as Jade Empire, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect all stand on the shoulders of KotOR. I want to say Baldur's Gate, since a lot of KoTOR's game design is influenced from that game, but I haven't played it. (again, I came to video gaming late)

doodger

May 19, 2010
A toss up between Fallout:New vegas and paper mario: the thousand years door for me, although there are many brilliant game in the rpg category

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
8-Bit_Jack said:
Nox.

Fuck anyone who says different.

"SEIZE THAT CURSED WIZARD BEFORE HE CASTS A SPELL!"

classic
That game man... That was awesome. The death screens used to give me nightmares when i was a kid though. I should revisit it.

OT: The elderscrolls series for the freedom/gameplay, Witcher series for story.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Anthraxus said:
"Most of us finds them boring anyway"

That says more about you attention span maybe?
Given that you were the one complaining that you can't keep up with a real-time system, I'd be careful before i throw accusations like that around :eek:)

Anthraxus said:
Turn-based is superior for mainly two reasons:

1) Better control over what is happening
2) Better feedback on what is happening
Better control does NOT make a better game.

If i wanted a game where i can have great control, I'd play tic-tac-toe. Unfortunately, tic-tac-toe isn't a game with much depth, and I'd quickly grow bored.

You see, by that argument, all first person shooters should be played in slow motion, because that would give each player more control over whats happening. That doesn't make it a good decision. You see, chaos creates excitement. Excitement equals a higher adrenaline rush, and an adrenaline rush is the equivalent of a stimulating feeling (especially if it also comes with the satisfaction of victory).

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that a turn-based game is bad. I used tic-tac-toe as an example to show that it doesn't automatically make a game good, but there are still good turnbased games.

To take your later statement...
I guess most of you find chess boring too, huh ?
...I'll answer with, No, in fact i love chess, but for a very specific reason.

You see, the problem with most turn-based computer games, however, is that it's often ridiculously easy to predict which course of action is the best. In chess, you don't objectively know if a move is good or bad until you try it (although you can have an idea about it). In games like Final Fantasy and Pokemon, that excitement is lost when you just use your most powerful attacks, or just use counter-attacks (water attacks vs. fire pokemon) to win everything. The day someone "solves chess" (which is to say, never, but it's still theoretically possible) the game is going to lose all excitement. Fortunately, like i said, it's never going to happen.

Case in point is that while turn-based games can surely be great, better control does not mean better game. Realtime-games can challenge you in ways that turnbased games can't. They can challenge your reaction times, they can challenge your aiming precision/control (and that's not just shooters I'm talking here. Games like StarCraft II also requires precise micro), they can challenge your ability to multitask, your ability to keep an overview in a stressful situation.

I can respect that you might not personally like games like that and would prefer things with better control. It's personal preference, and i can respect that. But like i retorted above, that says more about YOUR attention span than mine, because nothing requires a bigger attention span than handling one situation after another under time pressure, and if there is one thing turn-based games lack it's time pressure :eek:)

Oh and....
Real-time invokes player skill while turn based utilizes mostly character skills. Sure, there will always be the element of player skill, but an RPG is about utilizing character skill. Thus, turn based is generally seen as the better alternative.
You might be thinking pen and paper RPG's, but RPG's have involved since then, and now it's BOTH about player and character skill.

By that argument, Mass Effect should also have been turn-based. Short answer: No.

RPG means roleplaying game, you know that just as well as me. But nowhere does that suggest that player skill shouldn't contribute in any way. In fact, the word "game" itself suggests that it's something you do to challenge yourself for entertainment.

There is a reason that Baldur's Gate often rank higher than other RPG's on the list of "best games ever", so your argument that turn-based are seen as the better alternative is grounded right there :eek:)

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
I vote Pokemon, I remember Loving my original Red Version, I even invented personalities for my Pokemon. My Ponyta ( I traded for her) yes I know sex didn't exist until gold/silver. But I traded for her and always treated her like an unbroken colt because she leveled up so fast and became problematic. Which, as any good horse trainer will tell you, if you have a problem with a horse you can't solve, you probably have a problem with yourself that needs solving first. That and take it to Buck Brannaman. (bit of horseman humor)

JDC1185

Mar 9, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_Volume_1+-

And I'm not trolling, that much...

They made a Two Towers game too... but then I mailed Interplay and apparently they had some mix up and couldn't do Return of the King. That is one of the tragedies of my childhood.

I'm pretty sure not many will have heard of it but... it introduced me to RPGs and part of me wants to go back to it as I was always too chicken to finish the final quest and sneak into Dol Guldur.

willis888

May 18, 2010
Anthraxus said:
In the Gold Box games you have full control, so there is never the feeling of fighting against the game itself, and being tile based you have full control of where all units can move and where your area effect spells land.
I liked the Gold Box games a lot too. Champions of Krynn and Death Knights of Krynn were some of the first PC games I ever played (my mom's computer wasn't good enough to run Dark Queen of Krynn). Gold Box Neverwinter Nights on AOL was my first MMO, and it's still my 2nd favorite MMO and 1st favorite MMORPG.

I've played through them a few times since then, and every time I'm surprised by how hard it is (30 v. 6 again, I hope my mages win initiative...).

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
That's tough, some of my favorite games are RPG's. I guess if I had to pick one, I'd say Dragon Age: Origins, but that feels like I'm selling other games short. The problem is, DA:O and say, Skyrim, are very different games, different things to offer, so comparing them based on genre seems pointless. I'd go with DA:O if I had to, just because I'm more emotionally attached to it.