Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Table top ones, ofcourse. My particular favorite is probably the Warhammer 40k one, "Rogue Trader".

....or you do strictly mean video games? Bleh, fine, in that case KotOR and original Deus Ex both get my vote. Skyrim's up there, too.

M4t3us

Oct 13, 2009
Morrowind, Fallout 2, Neverwinter Nights (for the multiplayer/toolset combo), KOTOR and Skyrim is shaping up to becoming one of the greatest.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Halberd96 said:
Well deciding what the greatest Rpg made is impossible to do (obviously :p) but I think these are the main answers you'll get:

Planescape: Torment
Deus Ex
KOTOR (and arguably KOTOR 2, though a lot of people think KOTOR 2 was a bit disappointing)
Dragon Age: Origins
Baldurs Gate 1 & 2
Skyrim + any of Bethesda's sandbox Rpgs
Fallout 1 & 2
The Mass Effect series

I've probably missed out one or two games by the way (some of them are probably games I love too, so don't take offense) but those are the top contenders.

EDIT: I didn't add Jrpgs because...well not to be offensive but are Jrpgs really even proper Rpgs? I haven't played Final Fantasy, Persona or Chronotrigger though so I might be wrong. I've heard though that you don't even role play a character in those games and you apparently don't even get to choose how you level up and etc.
i agree with almost all of the choices made above my comment.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Gotta go with Quest for Glory. Huge amount of stats, lots of ways to replay (three or four distinct classes each with their own unique events), great story, the capacity to import your character through five games in the series spanning about ten years of real time, really witty writing and spanning a bunch of different mythological motifs from throughout Europe and northern Africa.

Otherwise, the Escape Velocity series. On its own it's cool, but add in the modding community that made around a hundred full campaigns for the single-player game and you've got one epic space RPG.

Codenet

Jan 4, 2009
Personally, I would have to go with Knights of the Old Republic.

No other game has made me feel as connected to my character as KoTOR did, as well as having one of the best stories produced in a video game, and also lets you be a Sith Lord.

But Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins and Fallout: New Vegas are all very close runners-up, I don't think cared for any other supporting characters as much as i did in Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age is just an all round great rpg, and the freedom and setting of New Vegas is for me, by far is the best in any rpg.

SuperPogo

May 18, 2011
At least this isn't full of people saying Skyrim. Sorry to break your hearts, those who care, but yes, I tried Skyrim, and no, I didn't like it.

OT:It's not technically a game as much as it is an MMO, but Mabinogi. Persona players will love it, everyday dungeon crawling RPG players will love it, but players who like having to actually do a constant struggle of attacking, defending & counterattacking will love it even more. If you can get past the fact that your very love will be milked for coin, that is, as most players will have a tough time getting around without slipping Nexon a few tens or so.

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
-Seraph- said:
There really is no "Best RPG ever", as they all offer something that another doesn't that makes them exceptional. But some of my all time favorites that have yet to be matched (in no specific order):

-Chrono Trigger
-FF4,6,7,9,Tactics WotL, Crisis Core
-Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
-Witcher 1 and 2
-Deus Ex 1 and Human Revolution
-Baulders Gate series
-Planescape Torment
-Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle series
-Jade Empire
-The Ys series

And there are more that I just can't be bothered to name at the moment. But those are off the top of my head and I know I've forgotten a few that deserve mention.

team star pug said:
For me It's either Final Fantasy VI or Modern warfare 2. I love the characters and story of final fantasy VI, and I found the level up system and the amount of choice available in MW2 enough to make the character my own.

The mere idea of Modern Warfare being considered an RPG invokes an aneurism greater than those who claim Zelda is an RPG...
Yeah, just my idea of a joke.

OT: I recently played Chrono trigger and found it really enjoyable. I recommend it to anyone likes RPGs with great sprite based graphics and profound naratives.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
The Madman said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
My choice, too. Probably close to my favorite game of all time. I've played it about once every other year for the heck of it. To this day it's still my favorite RPG of all time. A huge cast of characters, lots of flexibility, and a personal fave - the best romance I've ever played in Jaheira (particularly if you download a few mods to speed things along). It takes a strong, confident woman and makes her vulnerable, then shows her healing process and her search for a new person to co-exist with. I remember the gal from Mask of the Betrayer being pretty darn good for a romance as well, up until the slightly confusing end. DA:O makes some decent efforts, but it's ruined when you realize that simply buying your SO gifts is the easiest way to move the romance along.

Too many games rush the interactions between the characters, making it seem like a lot more time has passed in-game than it has. A quest or two for most NPCs, and suddenly the narcoleptic half-dwarf is opening up about how his mother was turned into a vampire and he had to slay her by burning his father-vampire-master.

Then there are some that just don't make any effort to have many social interactions at all. Here's looking at you Skyrim. Granted, I wouldn't mind if I could tramps around in an amulet and suddenly get the interest of gorgeous brunettes and blondes after finding their car in a parking lot, but c'est la vis!

BG2 and ToB, depth and great gameplay (when the PC wasn't insta-killed by the Lich, anyways)! <3 <3 <3

Robby Foxfur

Sep 1, 2009
I'm gonna go with the RPG - V7 made by the Russians, its become and icon today in both games and real life, its like the AK but louder and more deadly ... Oh i'm being told now that i'm completely off topic ... awkward

But the most fun in an RPG I've had was in Guild Wars, its and MMORPG but i played it for 3 to 4 years so i'm gonna pick that.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
Hmm.. Mine would be a toss up between Dragon Age: Origins and the Mass Effect games. If pushed to decide between the two, I would probably have to go with Origins. I just get so immersed into the game, more so than any other game I can think of.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Slaves of Armok II: Dwarf Fortress.

There is no doubt.

It is the only game which I know in which you can be a legendary spearman and competent wrestler who can swim and can strangle a troll to death with his own loincloth underwair whilst wairing a dress and beating him with the body of his dead brother who kidnapped the son of the general of a human army who's named is Bengal Hairybasement and killed 3 wicked goblins in his time.

Gotta love total randomness. Gotta love me some Dwarf Fortress.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Dwarf cancels write comment: interrupted by carp.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Skyrim.

Games like ME or The Witcher are like reading a book.

Skyrim is like writing one.

(New Vegas comes in at a close seconds for being one of the most we'll written and immersive more book reading type games.)

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Kingme18 said:
I'm going to go ahead and induce rage in the minds of all fanboys and say ME2 is the best RPG I've ever played.
When reading the start of your sentence I thought you were going to say Rage. Which really would have made me rage.

scorptatious said:
For me, that would probably be Final Fantasy IX. (As you can probably tell by my avatar.) I have first played the game only a year ago and I fell in love with it. Just almost everything clicked with me in that game. The presentation, the battle mechanics, the story, the cast of characters, the soundtrack, everything.

Some notable runner ups would be the Mass Effect games. (Even though they're slightly more action than RPG.) and Chrono Trigger DS.
DavidtheGreat said:
I'm going with final fanstasy nine. It was beautiful in every respect.
*brofist*
FF9, while maybe not the best RPG ever definately has one of the best casts ever. It has one of my all time favorite game persons ever. Vivi. He and everything about him and his story is just plain fantastic.