Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Western: Deus Ex, Morrowind, Heroes Of Might and Magic III
Japanese: Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia/Time, Chrono Trigger

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
Both Dragon Ages. I've spent all of last week playing the first one, and when I completed it, I went straight onto Dragon Age 2. Love every second.

ATRAYA

Jul 19, 2011
"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords" would be my vote, but only because Kreia is my favorite character of all time - with Tyler Durden coming a close second behind her. :)

But without the Kreia factor, my favorite R.P.G. would probably be either the first "KotOR", "Mass Effect", or "Mass Effect 2". I just can't decide... :/

Smurf McSmurfington

Jun 24, 2010
As I've said numerous times before: Planescape: Torment.
The entire BG series(which I consider one long game) takes second place.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
Dragon Age: Origins takes it for me. I ADORE fantasy and Dragon Age has it all: Impending invasion of evil creatures, a traitor who steals the throne which incites a rebellion and choices that feel like your actually influencing the world not just giving your character devil horns or an angel halo.

Gameplay wise the combat is challenging, brutal, bloody and tactically deep especially on the harder difficulties. Enemies aren't the most varied at times but there is quite a variety in how the encounters are placed as well as the composition of the mobs.

Bioware games all have great writing (if a bit too obviously cinematic at times) but Dragon Age doesn't suffer to bad and the characters all add either more depth and personality to the world and even annoying characters are well done, in their own way.

An RPG means many things to many people but to me I want to feel like a nerd when I talk about it with friends; that special ability to alienate the rest of the people in the group with talk of stat boosts, tier 8 volcanic aurumn weapons and Ulthemiel (Love that name)

But most importantly... Floating numbers and status afflictions as they are performed in combat. Watching that critical hit rise from a foe, the number 127 in larger than usual numbers and the significant drop in the elite boss Ogre Alpha health bar. Glorious.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Chrono Trigger. Here was a game that took everything that was great about SNES RPG's (the greatest generation of them imo), cranked them to 11, and created a wonderfully different storyline. Memorable characters, fantastic story, and an incredible replay value.

They don't make them like that anymore.

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
Western Action RPG? Morrowind.
Classic, turn based JRPG? Only one I can stand, and I love it. Chrono Trigger.
DnD based RPG? KOtOR.

"New Age" action games with RPG Elements - ME.

TownTattle

Nov 7, 2011
SuperPogo said:
At least this isn't full of people saying Skyrim. Sorry to break your hearts, those who care, but yes, I tried Skyrim, and no, I didn't like it.
oooooooh you're such a rebel. I bet you get all the ladies with talk like that.

Disasterpiece Press

Jan 2, 2012
I don't know about best, but Crystalis is my favorite. I still bust that out for my functioning original NES about once a year or so.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Depends. Is System Shock 2 an RPG with shoot-em-up elements, or a shoot-em-up with RPG elements?

Is Skyrim an RPG? (Forty hours or so in and I haven't scratched the surface of it yet...)

Is Ultima 4 an RPG? NOW we're cooking on gas!

I haven't played any Final Fantasy games or JRPGs generally... sniff... :(

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
TownTattle said:
SuperPogo said:
At least this isn't full of people saying Skyrim. Sorry to break your hearts, those who care, but yes, I tried Skyrim, and no, I didn't like it.
oooooooh you're such a rebel. I bet you get all the ladies with talk like that.
Heeheehee. Tattle, you have stolen my heart. :) Please keep it somewhere warm and don't mistake it for that cut of meat you bought for your dinner...

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and enrage a whole lot of fanboys by saying SKYRIM IS BETTER THAN MORROWIND. Yes! Start your flaming!

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Mount&Blade:Warband - Prophecy of Pendor

for me, it's the closest a video game has come to feeling like a pen&paper RPG.

honourable mentions for Final Fantasy Tactics and Realms of Arkania

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Fappy said:
ms_sunlight said:
If I had to choose, I'd go for Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords.

Today.

Tomorrow I might choose something different.
Your avatar deceives this thread!

I'd say its a three-way tie between Morrowind, Chrono Trigger and... Mario RPG! Fucking love that game!
I'll agree with Mario RPG, that is in my top 5 RPGs. Chrono Trigger is awesome, but I don't like it THAT much. I never really got into Morrowind like I got into Oblivion and Skyrim though.

My #1 would be Ogre Battle 64. It has an asston of gameplay, many different endings, is challenging, has technically infinite customization, and I never get sick of playing it.
Honorable mentions go to Paper Mario and Golden Sun.