Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
My personal favorite is Final Fantasy IV. Persona 3 and 4 come close to its level for me. Probably couldn't pick between 3 and 4.

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
Fappy said:
Zhukov said:
Mass Effect 2 for me. Although there seems to be some debate over whether or not it counts as an RPG. Apparently that's extremely important to some people.
RPG is an incredibly broad genre. Times change and some people refuse to acknowledge this.
You! I like you.

Best RPG... Jade Empire, the world is just so different from the generic medieval fantasy, I loved the combat system, The characters were mostly loveable and the story is damn near amazing. My only complaint was that it's too short.

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
SMT: Nocturne (or Lucifer's call in the EU)

its pokemon but with demons and dante from dmc,

Foxpack1

Dec 23, 2010
ms_sunlight said:
If I had to choose, I'd go for Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords.

Today.

Tomorrow I might choose something different.
Likewise minded statement: This. HK-47 is a legend.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Best, I have no idea, I like many for a host of different reasons.

But the first thing that came to mind was Might and Magic VII, man that's a good game.

SmegInThePants

Feb 19, 2011
final fantasy tactics, if trpg's count. There are finally starting to be some contenders like the Disgaea series.

planescape torment/bg2, i could agree w/either of those for different reasons, if the category is just computer rpg's in general.

vampire the masquerade: bloodlines was pretty good, still is w/the ongoing player made mods.

want to try the kotor 2 restoration project, can't get behind vanilla kotor 2 as best rpg due to the ending, but the restoration project i hear changes/restores said ending and might elevate the game in my eyes. Have to find my kotor 2 cd's though.

rogue! If you include all its spinoffs to date that is, including things inspired by it like diablo and dungeon crawl stone soup. I remember when it was a new release you had to pay retail-game-price for. In the sub-category of *Replayability* - rogue and its descendants (hack/nethack/slashem/dungeon crawl stone soup/etc...) are the undisputed unquestionable king.

Choose-Your-Own-Adventure, books. When i was a kid these got me into rpg's, so maybe its just a personal favorite w/out much in the way of objective reasons, but there it is.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
I will go a bit further back then most people and go with

Secret of mana / seiken densetsu II. I hear seiken densetsu III is even better but it was never released outside of japan.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
1) Suikoden
2) Baldurs Gate 2
3) Chrono Trigger
4) Vampire: Redemption

Number 4 is a bit of an odd one because while the storyline was "ok" at best, the multiplayer/gm your own adventure aspect was frickin ace. Mods made the MP side even more flexible but you could create a pretty stunning story yourself for your friends using the vanilla set up.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Hard pressed between Fallout or Fallout 2, buuut I will always like Fallout better then its sequel.

Mass Effect and its sequel is also nice but I have to draw the line where one is a classic CRPG and the other is Conversation/Romance gallery that wish it is Gears of War.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Probably Persona 4 for me.
inB4 "BUT IT'S A JRPG THEY'RE NOT REAL GAMES JAPAN SUCKS WAAAAAH"
Definitely Persona 4. The characterization is top notch, the combat system is very good, and the story is good.

Tyrannical

Oct 29, 2011
Hmmm... depends on your definition of RPG. What you guys are thinking of, I would say Morrowind or KOTOR.
In the REAL definition of RPG, it's pokemon silver/gold.

FeraIMuse

Oct 18, 2010
For me, it's a three-way-split, between Chrono Cross, Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (for the XBox and PC, not the new MMO,) and Planescape: Torment. That's just me!

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
4RM3D said:
JesterRaiin said:
Baldur's Gate Trilogy
Trilogy? Did I miss something? Where is part 3?
You missed a lot, sir ! ;)

Because of the amount of content, and possibility to roll and play brand new characters at its beginning "Throne of Bhaal" is considered third part of the series, even if it's no stand-alone product.

Also : Big World. Dem mods, dem beautiful mods...