Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

Jdb

May 26, 2010
Based on what still interests me, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia.

Based on future releases, Mega Man X: Corrupted.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Fallout 3
What? It's fun...it's fun...and it's...fun!
That's what games are about, right? Fun?

That or Skyrim.
Or morrowind.
Morrowrim!

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
ooooh, tough one
turn based i'd say... a tie between BG II and Planescape: Torment (BG for overall execution (srsly, there was not the smallest thing wrong in/with this game) PS:T for it's insane setting and atmosphere)

or Gothic I - lost count of how many times i played it; alhtough the second half got sort of repetetive, it still felt very much alive. and it featured InExtremo.

beat that, skinny asian emo kid-protagonists >:)

also: zomg lol use teh searchbar n00b (what a load of BS; this topic never ever gets old ^^ )

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
tobi the good boy said:
Fappy said:
Zhukov said:
Mass Effect 2 for me. Although there seems to be some debate over whether or not it counts as an RPG. Apparently that's extremely important to some people.
RPG is an incredibly broad genre. Times change and some people refuse to acknowledge this.
You! I like you.

Best RPG... Jade Empire, the world is just so different from the generic medieval fantasy, I loved the combat system, The characters were mostly loveable and the story is damn near amazing. My only complaint was that it's too short.
I keep starting it and never finish. I enjoy it, but for some reason just lose interest in what is happening after your plane crashes (very early on in the game). I'll get around to it eventually.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
poiumty said:
Vegosiux said:
I wonder, not to be a douche or anything, but is that because of the insignificant role combat plays? I understand the beef many people have with PS:T is the fact that combat is playing not the second, but the seventy-third fiddle in that game.
Yes, the combat was lackluster, having weird pacing, depending on resting to regain spells (which left your mage characters using weapons most of the time at lower levels) and the systems behind it being simplistic. BG2 improved on all of that adding tons of choices, options and depth.
Guess it's a matter of taste indeed. I mean that exact reason is why I consider PS:T better than BG2 ^^

But the combat wasn't "lackluster". It was intended to be that way.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
The Madman said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

It just does nothing wrong. Great tactical DnD combat, excellent story, amazing soundtrack, crisp 2D visuals and high-resolution artwork, fantastic cast of characters including an extremely memorable villain, an amazing array of mods from an active and imaginative mod-community, and enough replayability to have someone still discovering new things years after the game has been released.
This a million times.
Especially when you get BG1 and TOTSC and combine it with BG2 with the BGT MOD.
What's that? The entire BG series in one, massive, huge ass awesome game of sexy awesomeness?
Yeah. It's awesome.

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
nbamaniac said:
TheFunPolice said:
Wow, I've read through most of this thread and to my surprise almost nobody has mentioned Skyrim. Although my favourite RPG has got to be Mount and Blade: Warband, yeah, maybe it's rather broken at times, but I've never been so immersed in a game before, I love it
I'm actually quite relieved. Anyone who mentions Skyrim as an all time best is a troll in my eyes. Touche!

And yeah MaB: Warband was good. xD
I've never played Skyrim myself, so I can't judge, but one would assume it would be on this list due to how much ejaculate it's had to rub out of it's eyeballs

MrLumber

Jan 13, 2009
I'd vote for best over all RPG to be FFVI, although I haven't played the chrono games yet.

Best narrative would hands down be Demon's Souls, with best combat and gameplay going to its successor Dark Souls.

Not sure what I'd give best story :/

Best multiplayer would be Pokemon, which I think deserves a special mention as the only competitively played RPG in existence.

lionrwal

Aug 7, 2011
Well, a tie between Earthbound and Mother 3 for the JRPG category. I can't decide for the WRPG.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Mount&Blade ruined RPGs for me. I cannot stand the button mash combat in all other RPG's anymore because I have been spoiled by the best combat in any game. Then Warband came around and made M&B1 look bad by comparison.

This is no contest, the best fighting mechanics go to M&B Warband.

Storywise, no right answer. Though M&B deserves mention for basically being a choose your own adventure while things like Oblivion make you do exactly as your are told. Others may claim to give you choice, but it almost always is just really evil vs really nice. Usually with those you have to choose pretty much from the very start. Demon's Souls let you play through the whole game and only at the end decide if you want to be an arse or be nice.

My top 2 overall choices are M&B Warband and Demon's Souls. Among my 2 most played games (up there with the Genesis Sonics, Metal Gear Solid (3 especially), and Armored Core For Answer.

Nocola

Aug 10, 2009
Probly won't get a lot of support on this but my faovirte RPG is Fallout: NV.

There was just something about it, it felt open but concise and structured, and the people felt very fleshed out and had character.

Karhukonna

Nov 3, 2010
I've got a couple of picks. My absolute favourite of all time would be Breath of Fire III. Of course, I've had this game for so long, and I've played it so many times I can hardly consider myself unbiased. I'm actually biased to the deep, hardened core of my cold, black fanboy heart. So much in fact, that any objections will be dealt with... Using kind, reasoning words and if all else fails, a TV spot from YouTube. After that, there is nothing else. Only an existence similar to mine. A fanboy fighting to the bitter end.

...Got a bit siderailed again, it seems. *Ahem* I'd also cast a vote for Final Fantasy VI. Kinda like a BoF III Lite. Or even less.

Num1d1um

Jun 23, 2011
I was genuinely surprised to see the OP here say it, but yeah, Morrowind. Best game ever made, in my opinion. I'm obviously heavily biased because it's one of the first games I ever played, and I'm sure I put over a thousand hours into it by now. And I could spend a day coming up with reasons why I like it, but I'll just say it simply is. The best RPG yet made. And probably ever.