Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

tumultuoustibia

Dec 16, 2011
I'm putting my vote in for Morrowind. Nothing has ever felt as real and immersive as that game. I don't think it'll ever be surpassed. Any thoughts?

Kingme18

Destroyer of Worlds
Mar 26, 2011
I'm going to go ahead and induce rage in the minds of all fanboys and say ME2 is the best RPG I've ever played.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
If I had to choose, I'd go for Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords.

Today.

Tomorrow I might choose something different.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
ms_sunlight said:

Today.

Your avatar deceives this thread!

I'd say its a three-way tie between Morrowind, Chrono Trigger and... Mario RPG! Fucking love that game!

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Depends. Best semi-turn-based JRPG? Final Fantasy VI. Best westernish-style RPG that came from Japan? Dark Souls. Best RPG that, though awesome, completely shit all over the game that came before it? Chrono Cross.

Best ever? No. I can't answer that.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Fappy said:
ms_sunlight said:

Today.

I'd say its a three-way tie between Morrowind, Chrono Trigger and... Mario RPG! Fucking love that game!
Fixed that! Uploaded a picture of Mira from KotOR2! I do love Chrono Trigger though, must have played that game through 5 or 6 times, it never gets stale.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
ms_sunlight said:
Fappy said:
ms_sunlight said:

Today.

Fixed that! Uploaded a picture of Mira from KotOR2! I do love Chrono Trigger though, must have played that game through 5 or 6 times, it never gets stale.
I've probably played it around 4 times. Still only beat Kotor 2 once. Would have been twice but I ran into a game-breaking bug my first playthrough right before the battle with Nihillus.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

It just does nothing wrong. Great tactical DnD combat, excellent story, amazing soundtrack, crisp 2D visuals and high-resolution artwork, fantastic cast of characters including an extremely memorable villain, an amazing array of mods from an active and imaginative mod-community, and enough replayability to have someone still discovering new things years after the game has been released.

Other RPG I've played might do one or two things better, but no other that I've played it quite so cohesive a product overall. Planescape: Torment for example has the better story, but in terms of gameplay and presentation lags behind while a game like Temple of Elemental Evil I might feel has better tactical DnD gameplay, but falls behind in terms of story and narrative.

Baldur's Gate 2 meanwhile is just the complete deal. I love it!

1-up

May 12, 2011
I'll throw in another vote for FFVI - I don't know about taking a "role", but it takes you along for a fantastic story. Most of the characters are extremely memorable and develop interestingly over the course of the game. Most.

Immersion-wise, no game has pulled me in like Fallout 3. It really felt like I started with a blank-slate character and turned him into my own.

I just downloaded Mass Effect - as soon as I'm done squandering my life away on Skyrim that's next on the old to-do list.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
I haven't played nearly enough to really put out an honest opinion, but so far my favourite that I've played, is Gothic II: Night of the Raven. Just recently, I purchased a complete collection boxset of Baldur's Gate, and am looking forward to playing those games soon - I predict they'll shoot up to be one of my favourites.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Planescape: Torment.

The Madman said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Being a close second.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
It depends. Do you consider Bioshock an RPG? If so, that.

If not, then I've got two answers:

Pokemon: For its heroine-level addictive gameplay. When an RPG has been around for 13 years, with the underlying basics still unchanged to this day, you know you're doing something right.

Persona 4: Because, for all the RPGs I've played, I've never REALLY gotten as attached to the characters as I did with this game. Oh, and the story is good, too.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Mass Effect 2 for me. Although there seems to be some debate over whether or not it counts as an RPG. Apparently that's extremely important to some people.

Second choice would be... I dunno, Fallout 1 maybe. Planescape Tormet? Dragon Age?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Probably Persona 4 for me.
inB4 "BUT IT'S A JRPG THEY'RE NOT REAL GAMES JAPAN SUCKS WAAAAAH"

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I can't agree with Baldur's gate 2 simply because those mage battles still give me nightmares, and during my awake hours whenever I think about it I shudder in a mix of terror and revulsion.

I will have to go with Planescape torment, Skyrim and Chrono Trigger. I can't possibly pick one of those 3 oh what the hell Chrono Trigger AAARGH

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
Mass Effect 2 for me. Although there seems to be some debate over whether or not it counts as an RPG. Apparently that's extremely important to some people.
RPG is an incredibly broad genre. Times change and some people refuse to acknowledge this.

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
Personally, for me... Dragon Age: Origins. Morrowind is a definitely close/almost-tied second though.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
My favourite example of role playing is NWN2 - Mask of the Betrayer.

My favourite role-playing game is Mass Effect 2.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
tumultuoustibia said:
I'm putting my vote in for Morrowind. Nothing has ever felt as real and immersive as that game. I don't think it'll ever be surpassed. Any thoughts?
I can't agree more. Morrowind remains my favorite game of all time to this day.

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
i find it difficult to decide
because right now, if i went with my gut it would be Skyrim, hands down, and i'd defend it to the death if nessesary.

but when i finish with Skyrim, i migth go back to the Mass Effect Series, and suddenly ME2 becomes the best RPG ever made, and surely when ME3 hits shelves, it will take that title

and if the Zelda series counts than it might end up being Skyward Sword