Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

AwkwardTurtle

Aug 21, 2011
This is just a personal choice. For the one that sticks out as the best RPG in my mind is Persona 3.

No other game has caused me to care so much about a main character. (and the supporting cast of course. :p)

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
tumultuoustibia said:
I'm putting my vote in for Morrowind. Nothing has ever felt as real and immersive as that game. I don't think it'll ever be surpassed. Any thoughts?
I really doubt you are going to get a consensus here BUT inb4 crono trig...
Zeckt said:
I can't agree with Baldur's gate 2 simply because those mage battles still give me nightmares, and during my awake hours whenever I think about it I shudder in a mix of terror and revulsion.

I will have to go with Planescape torment, Skyrim and Chrono Trigger. I can't possibly pick one of those 3 oh what the hell Chrono Trigger AAARGH
Dammit! Okay.

Anyways. My vote is for FF6. Great cast of characters , great story , and kefka is made of so many levels of win. I also like the original LUFIA . A game no one remembers.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Oh it's gotta be either Skyrim or Baldurs gate (All of them), I'd defend both of them til my grave. And no I cant choose between either of them since they are both memorable games.

Since I havn't played Morrowind, I can't just judge on what others say :/

EDIT: Mass effect games = YAWN FEST for me, ok I guess but nothing more than average.

Oh and I've played a few of the FF games, all of which I just wanted to watch paint dry/grass grow instead, since it would be equally boring if not better than playing the same repetitive turn based JRPG SHIT OVER AND OVER AND OVER! (Sorry my rage took over)

/Prepares flameshield

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
What kind of RPG are we talking about? RPG is one of those things where every single person kind of has their own personal dictionary of what an RPG is.

But, since I'm not really in a great state of mind to get into some huge argument about it, I'm going to have to say that Fallout: New Vegas is probably my favourite RPG, if not my favourite all around game of all time. The plot is great. The characters are great. The freedom you have to resolve quests in different ways is fantastic. The stat-building is really rewarding. The companions are memorable and interesting.

The only other game I can think of that even came close to giving you so many choices and so many different ways of playing your character was Dragon Age: Origins, and even with all the different options that game gave you of killing off potential party members, siding with the bad guys, and all the different back stories and relationships you could have, I still don't think it comes close to the sheer variety of different ways you can play New Vegas. I honestly can't believe I didn't like this game the first time I played it, because, now that I seriously took the time to play it, I have to say it's probably one of the best and smartest games I've ever had the privilege to play.

Basically, if someone combined Fallout: New Vegas with Dragon Age: Origins, you'd probably have my perfect game.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
I've got to go with FFX. For me it's a bit of a personal thing; I practically grew up with that game, and practically worshiped it for periods of time. It may not necessarily be the best RPG of all time, but since this is all subjective anyway, it is certainly the best one to me.

Sharp Blue

Dec 29, 2011
The Madman said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

It just does nothing wrong. Great tactical DnD combat, excellent story, amazing soundtrack, crisp 2D visuals and high-resolution artwork, fantastic cast of characters including an extremely memorable villain, an amazing array of mods from an active and imaginative mod-community, and enough replayability to have someone still discovering new things years after the game has been released.
Seconded, I also liked Neverwinter nights, the witcher 2 was fun aswell.

Alpha Centauri

Sep 7, 2009
A role-playing game (RPG) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines

And for this, I'm going to say Minecraft, (with a few mods installed, the Technic Pack)

Starting from humble begings with nothing, to building your own mega industry around towns and exploring ruins far under ground; at the same time fighting off the waves of mobs, is great for role playing.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
For me, that would probably be Final Fantasy IX. (As you can probably tell by my avatar.) I have first played the game only a year ago and I fell in love with it. Just almost everything clicked with me in that game. The presentation, the battle mechanics, the story, the cast of characters, the soundtrack, everything.

Some notable runner ups would be the Mass Effect games. (Even though they're slightly more action than RPG.) and Chrono Trigger DS.
DavidtheGreat said:
I'm going with final fanstasy nine. It was beautiful in every respect.
*brofist*

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Well, RPG is such a blanket term...

The turn-based one I most enjoyed atm is probably Lost Oddyssey.

Best action/adventure one would hae to be ME.

Best open world would need to be Skyrim.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Probably Planescape Torment or Ultima 7.

Although: What has the Escapist got against Ultima? I never see anyone mention it ever and it isn't like it isn't an important franchise in video game history :/ (Sorry for clumsy double negatives, just got up and caffeine not kicked in yet)

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
DavidtheGreat said:
I'm going with final fanstasy nine. It was beautiful in every respect.
This!

Loved the storyline, the humour, the tonnes of sidequests, the setting, the weapons and attacks, having 4 on the team, the cutscenes, the eidilons, yeah, pretty much everything!

Also Vivi!

Also The Chocobo's

Also Black Mage Village!

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
For me, hands down it has to be Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars. Great story, great combat, a sense of humor in the mario universe and it has the cast team up for an epic adventure.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Overall Fallout 1. Great story and gameplay

Anthraxus said:
PST with the ToEE combat engine.
Somebody make it happen!, or atleast release some less complicated ToEE modding tools.