Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Baldur's Gate Trilogy with Big World addition.

Morrowind is good, but... NPCs are rather shallow. :(

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
I'm unfortunately not an alright kid, but I'd like to weigh in anyway.

The RPG that I had the most fun with would be Jade Empire.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Pokemon Red/Blue
Then also Green game along and made it longer so that one also.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Fallout: New Vegas is my favourite game, period, but get back to me when I finish Fallout 1.

k, Captcha.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
In olden times? Baldurs gate.
Early this year? Dragonage 2.
Of all the times? Skymorroblivion.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Can't say I've played them all, but of the ones I have, Planescape: Torment is the obvious winner. With Deus Ex as a close second, although these two are very different games.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Either Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines or Exile 3/4.

Great worldbuilding in both cases.

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
Ok from my viewpoint of "best" I guess these games will be in my list:

Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Golden Sun
Ultima VII: The Black Gate
The Witcher 2
Baldur's Gate 2
Bastion (I just had to add it even if it's an 'action RPG')

Did I cheat since I have many 'bests'?

JesterRaiin said:
Morrowind is good, but... NPCs are rather shallow. :(
Just like any other Elder Scrolls game.

EDIT: Okay how the fuck did I forget Suikoden 2?!!

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
Dwarf Fortress.

You do not know the true meaning of RPG until you play it. This game does not hold your hand, and it makes morrowind look like Halo. Hell, you are just some random bloke with no "chosen one" bullshit and can lose body parts.

Take an arrow to the chest? Your lungs and heart could be popped, killing you. If it doesn't, your breathing is halved. Take an arrow to the head? You die. You are caught in the flame of a dragon? Your armor heats up, searing you alive.

Everything reacts like it would in real life. In Skyrim anyone above level 5 can kill a dragon. In Dwarf Fortress, only the most bad ass character even thinks of taking one on.
If I only had such a vibrant imagination in order to thoroughly enjoy this game. (I'm not really into "symbols representing stuff" games) Still, on complexity alone, I agree with him that Dwarf Fortress has no match.

excessum ado

Dec 27, 2007
If Bioware does to Mass Effect 3 what they did to Dragon Age II I think your in for a dissapointing experiance.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
Dungeons & Dragons. If your talking about video game RPG's, im gonna have to go with some steampunky magicky wibbly wobbly timey wimey RPG that i played years ago and have long since forgotten the name of.

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
Wow, I've read through most of this thread and to my surprise almost nobody has mentioned Skyrim. Although my favourite RPG has got to be Mount and Blade: Warband, yeah, maybe it's rather broken at times, but I've never been so immersed in a game before, I love it

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I gonna throw in Xenoblade Chronicles into the mix.
While I was going to mention some of the older RPG but this game stand apart from the rest. The location are HUGE, you can save anywhere you want without the need of a save point, the battle isn't turn base and the soundtrack is fantastic.

Ed_Fox

Jan 27, 2010
In terms of time lost, it would probably be either Diablo II or the Fallout series (mostly 3)

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
TheFunPolice said:
Wow, I've read through most of this thread and to my surprise almost nobody has mentioned Skyrim. Although my favourite RPG has got to be Mount and Blade: Warband, yeah, maybe it's rather broken at times, but I've never been so immersed in a game before, I love it
I'm actually quite relieved. Anyone who mentions Skyrim as an all time best is a troll in my eyes. Touche!

And yeah MaB: Warband was good. xD

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
tumultuoustibia said:
I'm putting my vote in for Morrowind. Nothing has ever felt as real and immersive as that game. I don't think it'll ever be surpassed. Any thoughts?
Any thoughts? Yes, Morrowind sucks.

Why?

First off, I am an avid RPG fan. So obviously I was looking forward to Morrowind. Game reviewers and gamers alike hailed it as the next generation RPG. That's a pretty bold claim. But in the end the game did not live up to its expectations. I was disappointed with Morrowind. So what were my expectation then, you ask? An open world to explore at your leisure, with freedom in which you can adapt your own play style and chose your own route. Now Morrowind certainly has the basics but doesn't go further. The major issue is that the world doesn't feel alive; quite the opposite, it feels completely static and empty. There was no joy and no point in exploring. Another issue was the gameplay. It was way too easy and far too boring. Coupled with a myriad of bugs made me quite the game before the end. The only good thing about the game were the graphics.

Morrowind has plenty of mods which, slapped together, fixes some issues. But that is no excuse to make a game half finished. The game in its vanilla (original) state should be good enough, which it isn't.

And before you ask, Oblivion is even worse; Skyrim is okay, but still suffers for the usual 'Bethesda' problems.

As for my favorite RPGs:

1) Planescape: Torment
2) Final Fantasy VII
3) Fallout 2

Noteworthy mentions:
The Witcher 2
Gothic 2
Baldur's Gate 2
Resonance of Fate