Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Dark souls, never been so satisfied by playing a video game. Everything in that game I've earned, I have worked for, I feel proud of

GoGrapefruit

Apr 25, 2011
Vegosiux said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Planescape: Torment.

The Madman said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Being a close second.
I think I agree with this. Still, 'which is the best RPG?' is not an easy question to answer.

Skylare

Dec 29, 2011
i know i stated i like champions return to arms as my fav rpg but my fav mmorpg is tibia lots of years of fun there

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Panzer Dragoon Saga. I swear, sometimes I think my friend and I are the only people who've ever played this game.

I also find curious the lack of love for any of the Phantasy Star games or any mmos. Hate it if you will but millions of people play WoW.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I have strong personal love for ChronoCross and Vegrant Story. They had a certain something that I do not thing can be surpassed by most games.
My personal vote for the greatest RPG of all time.... SotC.

FirstPersonWinner

Apr 16, 2009
Kingdom Hearts Series (Not including Chain of Memories or 358/2 Days)

Runners Up:
-Mass Effect Series
-Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
-Golden Sun Series (The original 2)
-Fallout 3 & New Vegas
-Souls Series (Dark & Demon)

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
Hrmm... Well, in the very broad spectrum that is the RPG, either Fallout 2, Deus Ex or perhaps Persona 3.

Edit: Thanks above poster for reminding me! Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 are contenders too!

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Favorite Music, and villain and most times played through: Final Fantasy 6

Most Fun I've had actually playing: Tales of Symphonia

Best Story and Characters: Dragon Age: Origins

Today I feel like giving the award to Tales of Symphonia because I'm remembering the awesome opening anime style sequence and want to play the game. Though other days I may go for FF6 or DA:O.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Chrono Trigger... Xenogears... Chrono Trigger... Xenogears... I'll go with chrono trigger just because
It legitimately astounded me when it killed off the main character halfway through the game, yes you revive him but I didn't know that.
And the time travel and characters were implemented superbly.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I haven't played many RPGs. Final Fantasy 7/8/13, the Fable games, Mass Effects, Fallout 3/NV and Skyrim are the only ones that come to mind. I did play Baulders Gate 2 for a while, but grew tired of it quickly.

Out of them, I've soent the most time in Skyrim, but I think I've spent the most enjoyment in the Fable games...namely because I find a lot of things funny (Being part British) that most of the world simply didn't get. True story.

Herbert_v1legacy

Dec 6, 2011
I can't choose... so many good ones. Here is my attempt to narrow it down:
Ultima 7
Ultima Underworld 2
Morrowind
Dwarf fortress (rogue like mode)
Fallout 2
Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines
Wizardry 8
Planescape torment

Argh, so many good ones!

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
If JRPGs count, Final Fantasy VIII. I'm a fanboy. Sue me.
If not, I'll go with either Morrowind or Skyrim.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
poiumty said:
Two battles are mandatory, you say? That's funny, wish someone would have told me that when I had one cast of magic missle and the entire morgue on my back. And what's the point of a 5-man party if you don't get to use it?

Don't give me any of the "it was meant to be like that" bullshit, BG2 is the ultimate example I can give of a game just as driven by the story as PST but at the same time being better than it in every other aspect.
Ohhh you don't like my favorite game, I'm SO hurt.

A word of advice: don't call other people's views "bullshit". It may come back to bite you.

Plus, as I said, BG2 is the close second on that list, but you just managed to make me like it a little less.

nazereth357

May 22, 2011
Turn-based is hands down Lost Odyssey for me. The story and characters I just absolutely adore, and the side quests are plentiful, leaving lots of room for replay value.

Open world has to be Morrowind. Replay value? More like simply never ending! I modded this game until I broke it. Multiple times... every week. xD

As it stands I can't bring myself to say Skyrim as I just haven't found it nearly as immersive as Morrowind, despite the graphics, animation, voice acting, and all the other upgrading they've done. I just can't get lost in it as easily. :(

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
tumultuoustibia said:
I'm putting my vote in for Morrowind. Nothing has ever felt as real and immersive as that game. I don't think it'll ever be surpassed. Any thoughts?
Right along with you in that choice, Morrowind is not only the best RPG, but the best game ever made imo. And while I'd like to be optimistic and say/think better games will be made, certain advances and trends in gaming have been made/taken that kind of take away from the chances of creating a similarly awesome experience (I mostly mean fast travel, certain spells and the navigation system). And sadly, triple A games don't tend to trend backwards much, I'm sure some indie/lesser known companies will make some games that try to use those ideas, but there's a difference between them and big time studios pulling off such a project.