Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Morrowind for immersion/atmosphere/lore/world/etc and music. Oblivion for general gameplay mechanics. Heavily modded Oblivion for overall experience. Cthulhu Saves the World for humor.

efAston

Sep 12, 2011
Icewind Dale II. Total tactics sandbox. Linear level design WHICH ALLOWS FOR LEVELLING so you can set up your PARTY based on the D&D rules you like to use to your advantage. Single-player RPG's basically just favour tanking, and totally open environments feel aimless and rely heavily on scaling, which is a double-edged sword. Also it had Peter Stormare in it.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days.

/TROLOLOLOLOLOL~! *noodle arms*

Honestly, to date, i would have to say KoToR. Closely followed by Baldurs Gate and TES: Morrowind.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
My personal favorite is Borderlands. I can't think of a single flaw in the game that actually matters to me.

RedHighwind07

Aug 11, 2011
DavidtheGreat said:
I'm going with final fanstasy nine. It was beautiful in every respect.
This. I can't give enough praise to Final fantasy IX, largely because it taught me to read and has a great story, great cast and was actually challenging at he time, as opposed to today's FFXIII where the AI is basically the hero.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
My choice is tied between Breath of Fire 3, Chrono Trigger, and FF7. Sure, by today's standards the graphics are laughable, but they had some damn good storytelling and combat mechanics. If you haven't tried them yet, do yourself a favor and give'em a whirl, wont be disappointed.

A close runner up to these would have to be Star Ocean 2

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
scorptatious said:
For me, that would probably be Final Fantasy IX. (As you can probably tell by my avatar.) I have first played the game only a year ago and I fell in love with it. Just almost everything clicked with me in that game. The presentation, the battle mechanics, the story, the cast of characters, the soundtrack, everything.

Some notable runner ups would be the Mass Effect games. (Even though they're slightly more action than RPG.) and Chrono Trigger DS.
DavidtheGreat said:
I'm going with final fanstasy nine. It was beautiful in every respect.
*brofist*
I know what you mean :) Final Fantasy 9 is one of my all time favourite games and my favourite RPG. Some other RPGs i really like are Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Lunar Silver Star and anything by Black Isle.

Stravant

May 14, 2011
KoTOR (1 and 2), they're the only RPGs I've actually enjoyed enough to play through from start to finish. (Deus Ex in second because I finished it but didn't bother to go back and finish every side-quest)

Andrew_J_Drake

Oct 23, 2011
For me it is a tie between Kingdom Hearts:Birth by Sleep(for better controls and combat systems than the console offerings) and the Elder Scrolls:Skyrim(Because its freaking massive and the executions).

WalrusPowers

Mar 30, 2011
Western - Oblivion. Better than Skyrim in my opinion, just for being more immersible.

Japanese - tie between Final Fantasy IX/Shining Force 2. Those games taught me to read.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I honestly don't know, but the ones that I've enjoyed most are Pokémon, Persona 4 and Chrono Trigger. Are they the best? Probably not. But I sure as hell enjoyed all three of those more than most games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect. That's not to say that they're bad. I just didn't like them as much.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
I say Kingdom Hearts (the original) because I was able to invest over 120 hours in that game and never feel bored in the least. Even in Skyrim or Fallout, after 80 or so the staleness kicked in. Maybe I was just easier to impress nine years ago.

KH came out nine years ago? God, I feel old...

FirebirdXR

Feb 22, 2011
There is no best for me as the nostalgia can only hold on for so long before the trip becomes a bit mundane on my 8th play-through.

But I do have my personal favorites;
Final Fantasy VI/III & X, Persona 3, Super Mario RPG, Skyrim, Chrono Trigger, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, Xenosaga and Earthbound 1 & 2 (also known as Mother 2 & 3).

Immensely-liked;
Persona 4, Final Fantasy XII & IX, Disgaea 3, Parasite Eve 1 & 2, Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I won't call it the best, but Mass Effect 1 is certainly my favorite, so count that for whatever it's worth.

As for the best, I dunno. I'll just say Skyrim and make it easy on myself.