Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Probably Persona 4 for me.
To quote a fellow human being
"BUT IT'S A JRPG THEY'RE NOT REAL GAMES JAPAN SUCKS WAAAAAH"*

I do believe that is an elegant way to state such a wise nugget of truth.

Quote taken from hazabazal
Copyright 2011

Funky Flump

Jun 24, 2010
Hmmm...Thats a tough one!

For JRPGs Id have to go with Mother 3

For WRPGs Id go with something from Bethesda. Not sure exactly between Fallout 3 and Oblivion, maybe Morrowind, but its been ages since Iv played it.

DesertMummy

Jan 6, 2011
Dues Ex of course! Anyone who says Skyrim needs to hit in the head with a blunt instrument. Not only is it not a very good RPG, but its also the worst elder scrolls I've played out of it, oblivion, and morrowind. Fallout and ME2 come in close, along with Dragon Age and Dark Souls. This is all likely to change when they port the witcher 2 onto the xbox though....

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
tumultuoustibia said:
I'm putting my vote in for Morrowind. Nothing has ever felt as real and immersive as that game. I don't think it'll ever be surpassed. Any thoughts?
Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4 or Lost Odyssey. All 3 had awesome storylines, pretty damn decent gameplay and interesting characters. The last one was also the last game I'll probably get to play by Sakaguchi (the brains behind the GOOD Final Fantasies) unless he decides to make anything else come stateside for PS3/360.

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
RPG-7. *Nyuk nyuk nyuk*

OT: The only RPGs I've played are Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Borderlands, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and a bit of Bowser's Inside Story, and I like them all a lot. Why choose? *Hugs all the games*

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I would still have to pick Planescape: Torment. It had some seriously crappy mechanics and awful gameplay but it still has one of the best stories and best characters of any RPG I've ever played.

TheDarklite

Nov 26, 2010
Lol I am going to get kicked in the face but I'm going to say Final Fantasy VIII.
It was one of my first RPG games and I loved it thoroughly. I have played it through probably 5 times over now and would say I have practically 100% it by now.

The only thing I didn't properly complete in it was the card mini-game.

Moving away from the JRPG side of things I was crazy over Neverwinter Nights. I seem to be the only person on this earth that loved the OC. I like the whole DnD ruleset and character progression. More so, I couldn't live without that toolset. It gave me so much joy over the years.

Out of current gen RPG's I would have to Skyrim and New Vegas.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Of the ones I've played, Skyrim, with Morrowind coming in close second (haven't played Oblivion yet). FFI is also up there (and no I haven't played VII, and yes I am getting around to it).

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Pokemon (the main series at least).

Its not really even a question or matter of debate, because its had arguably the most influence RPG that has always been an RPG on culture today and has a wide sweeping fanbase just about every market thats consistent from game to game to game in quality, sales, and popularity.

Darklink82

Jun 30, 2011
My personal list would be Skyrim, Fallout3, and most other game made by Bethesda.

I recently got an Xbox so I do not have a big library yet

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
There is only Chrono Trigger. Forever the king.

Runners up: FF6/7/9, Chrono Cross, everything else.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
My favourite game that could be thought of as an RPG is Mass Effect 2. I must've had about 6 accounts now, each clocking about 30 hours each.

My favourite game for role-playing would be Fallout: New Vegas. All the open-worldness of Bethesda games with the refrshing characterisation of Obsidian.

However, i will post an honourable mention to KotOR 1 and 2. Simply because their plotlines are sublime.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Baldur's Gate 2.

Out of the box, the game was fantastic - some bugs, but none ridiculously crippling. Amazing characters with actual depth, quests/side quests that weren't pitiful gophering around, high level of control in terms of combat, rogues that *actually used* their rogue abilities to find traps/pick doors and locks... the list goes on.

But what sets it a league ahead of other RPGs was the modding community. The base game was gold already, but people released so many amazing mods for it, you could basically play it again and have a completely different experience. Removing the 1-stronghold-per-char limit, increasing frequency of random battles, adding new classes/items/shopkeeper npcs, and adding the option to skip the intro dungeon without losing loot/exp are just a few of the infinitybillion mods that I can remember offhand.

This isn't the same as, say, modding in Oblivion. Obliv was a piece of shit game that *required* a folder full of mods and addons to get rid of enough of the suck to make playing it bearable, not to mention fix the gamebreaking bugs that Bethesda never seems to care about. BG2 mods were just icing on an already amazing cake, not icing on a sawdust sandwich.

The combination of an amazing game out of the box and a plethora of great mods puts BG2 ahead of any other RPG.

Edit: While Morrowind/Skyrim/Fallout all have their strengths, particularly in the immersion side of things, they all fall far short of BG/NWN simply because of the focus on solo play. An RPG without a party is inherently a weaker experience than one with - it was one of my problems with Morrowind in particular. You could spec as a thief and get good at stealing great pieces of armor and sexy 2 handed swords, but as a thief, you sucked at using them. The warrior types can stare at the pretty equipment on the wall, but not steal them. In a real RPG, the thief would pilfer chests/pockets/cabinets/etc and distribute the loot to the rest of his *party*. (This is also one of the many problems with Dragon Age/every final fantasy game with a thief; the thief class is a waste of time, completely unable to pick pockets or disarm traps or any of that good thiefy stuff).

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Well its still FFVII for me but I have played some wonderful RPGS over the years Persona 4, Xenoblade Chronicles, Baldurs gate 2 (not played throne of bhaal though) KOTOR, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Oblivion, Demons souls are just some that spring to mind as being awesome.

I do still have to play Planescape, Vampire bloodlines the masquerade, Skyrim and Dark souls. Hopefully I will get time this year.