Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

TheGauntman

Dec 8, 2011
The Madman said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

It just does nothing wrong. Great tactical DnD combat, excellent story, amazing soundtrack, crisp 2D visuals and high-resolution artwork, fantastic cast of characters including an extremely memorable villain, an amazing array of mods from an active and imaginative mod-community, and enough replayability to have someone still discovering new things years after the game has been released.

Other RPG I've played might do one or two things better, but no other that I've played it quite so cohesive a product overall. Planescape: Torment for example has the better story, but in terms of gameplay and presentation lags behind while a game like Temple of Elemental Evil I might feel has better tactical DnD gameplay, but falls behind in terms of story and narrative.

Baldur's Gate 2 meanwhile is just the complete deal. I love it!
Quoted once again for great justice!

As much as I love Chrono Trigger, I played the everloving shit out of Baldur's Gate 2. Numerous playthroughs; different characters, builds, alignments, party comps; reading up on progression paths - and after all that it never got old.

Damn near a perfect game.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Wikipedia classified Kingdom Hearts as an action-RPG, so if that counts, Kingdom Hearts. I'm not a huge RPG buff, though. Haven't even played Skyrim yet.

EDIT:

Actually, fuck that. I completely forgot about Disgaea.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Dark Souls, Demon's Souls was my best RPG but then Dark Souls came and surpassed it. :)

an874

Jul 17, 2009
The best answer I can give are my top 5 picks in no particular order:

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Mass Effect 1
Mass Effect 2
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Age: Origins

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Hard choice to be honest. The best RPG's in my opinion are Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, Planescape Torment, System Shock 2, Deus Ex and maybe Fallout 3, although I need to play more of that game.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
an874 said:
The best answer I can give are my top 5 picks in no particular order:

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Mass Effect 1
Mass Effect 2
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Age: Origins
Gotta agree with this guy. My list would look pretty similar.

Dr Pyramid Head

Aug 16, 2011
Things like Diablo 2, Final Fantasy VI, TES: Skyrim, Persona 3 and 4, System Shock 2 rate quite high on my list.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Wow talk about flamebait, a thread designed around people shouting for "Teh bSt ReePeeGee evar"

Ive no idea what the best ever is, but my personal favourites are whatever Bethesda's latest offering was or Diablo 2. Terarria also deserves a mention but Im not sure how much of an RPG it actually is

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Top 5 RPG's of all time in no particular order:
- Chrono Trigger (Probably the winner)
- Planescape: Torment
- Baldur's Gate 2
- Fallout 2
- Knights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords / Super Mario RPG (Can't decide)

The original KotoR is so incredibly overrated IMO (Shitty gameplay, disappointing main plot, decent characters), it's not even in my top 10. The ones who just barely didn't make the top 5 are Fallout 1, Tales of Symphonia, Diablo 2, Mass Effect and Deus Ex.

Jordan O'Hagan

Jul 11, 2011
im going to cheat here and say pathfinder, like D&D minus the spamming of dice roles and more RP.

For an electronic system I'd have to say the elder scrolls series, it's been said a lot but your character is who you make him/her (and not in a fable good or evil way) you can decide who you want him to be no other game I know does that as well as this series does.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Final Fantasy IX

Why?
Because it did pretty much everything right.

The story was epic; the characters were interesting (with great respect to the female cast); the atmosphere and lore was just pure high-fantasy; the concepts of the environments were just crazy; the music worked wonders in both quantity and quality; the gameplay (though not revolutionary) was very solid; it has a long lifespan (like every good RPG); when it comes to FF-games, it had the best Chocobo mini-game.

As for others on my list:
- Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call
- Legend of Legaia
- Shadow Hearts Covenant
- Chrono Trigger
- Mass Effect
- Xenoblade Chronicles

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Hmm... Either Pathfinder or Star Wars Saga, man I love those systems.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
While I wouldn't say Final Fantasy IX is the best RPG of all time. It is definitely an incredibly charming and endearing game that has what I was missing out of Final Fantasy VII and VIII as a fan of "old school" style Final Fantasy. I don't have anything against belts and zippers and the more Science Fantasy that Final Fantasy has become. But I do long for some of the old stuff and we haven't been getting much of it since the SNES days.

I kind of wish that Square would go back to it's roots once again and try to make a game like it on new hardware. They can't do much worse than they are now. And it would be a fantastic experiment to see if they still have it in them.

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
I have too say Fallout 3, my best game ever. It is emotional, dark, funny and very immersive. I feel for every character and I have a great connection with the characters and the world they live in.

I may even say GTA IV is an RPG. The character is what you make of him and the characters are deep. I felt really bad after watching Manny Escuela die and also felt sorry for Roman after his problems. You can go out, buy food, play minigames and even play a Tetris copy. It has everything an RPG has but it isn't Fallout 3 so it loses in that respect.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I hate being a mainstream guy, but I love the original Knights of the Old Republic. It opened the door for me to seek out other RPGs and its how I fell in love with Bioware.