Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
The problem is that RPG is such an all-inclusive term. It includes stuff like Final Fantasy, but also stuff like The Elder Scrolls. Still, I think my favorite RPG would have to be Mother 3.

Peperonici

Jan 28, 2010
Fallout 2..... don't know why but this game had..... well, freedom ^^

and if you count STALKER a RPG then i would pick STALKER, because the world was a living world.... if you didn't get to a mission the NPCs would say fuck that.... and complete the mission on their own :O
First time i saw that -> My mind = blown!

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
The Madman said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

It just does nothing wrong. Great tactical DnD combat, excellent story, amazing soundtrack, crisp 2D visuals and high-resolution artwork, fantastic cast of characters including an extremely memorable villain, an amazing array of mods from an active and imaginative mod-community, and enough replayability to have someone still discovering new things years after the game has been released.

Other RPG I've played might do one or two things better, but no other that I've played it quite so cohesive a product overall. Planescape: Torment for example has the better story, but in terms of gameplay and presentation lags behind while a game like Temple of Elemental Evil I might feel has better tactical DnD gameplay, but falls behind in terms of story and narrative.

Baldur's Gate 2 meanwhile is just the complete deal. I love it!
Don't fool yourself. EVERY game does something wrong.

If you think a game does nothing wrong, then you're a fanboy. Plain and simple.

It's not that i disagree with Baldur's Gate 2 being the best. I not only hold it up as the best RPG just like you, but in fact as the best game (or game series) ever, and the best display of game design in any recent memory.

But it's still not perfect, and it's in fact quite a heavy investment to get into. Newcomers are probably going to have to consult a FAQ (or 10), which means that people who don't like games you can't just pickup and play (and be reasonably successful at) are going to be turned off.

But like i said, i agree. Baldur's Gate has an excellent story, and the combat system (while complicated and requirering a lot of preperation and) is one of the most rewarding and challenging for the harder battles, and the gameplay is the absolute best in the world.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
DnD. Infinte freedom (As long as the DM can manage it).
So much fun with friends. Gotta start a club up again....

craftomega

May 4, 2011
Planescape Tormet hands down.

Chrono Cross as a close second.

Daggerfall As a close third. (Morrowind has nothing on Daggerfall)

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
I'm gonna go with mass effect 2, as far as playing a role I may as well be Shepard.

If not Mass Effect the original KOTOR wins in my heart.

Skrofler

Oct 15, 2011
Planescape Torment had possibly the best character story. Morrowind and Fallout were better RPGs allround though, and I think I'm going with the former for accomplishing what the other two are lacking - freedom and character depth, respectively.

And to all of you saying that "RPG can mean anything these days" or "marketing division pidgeon-holing rules!" or "Mass Effect 2 yaknow" or something to that effect - Get a clue!
The first two lines of "Role-playing game" at Wikipedia gets it about right and is already a very broad definition.
- "A role-playing game (RPG) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development"

Key words here are "narrative", "decision making" and "character development".

This definition may change, just as anything may change, but try to make a serious claim that Zelda or Battlefield or whatever is an RPG using arguments that doesn't revolve around the fact that publishers like their games to fit as many genres as possible to attract a wider market.
Mass Effect is just as much an RPG as it is an RTS or a solitaire, but more likely it's just an interactive action flick with sub par storyboard and acting. (That last bit was mostly for fanning the flames but I couldn't help myself.)

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
I also have to vote for Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. Followed by the original Baldur's Gate.

Athinira said:
Don't fool yourself. EVERY game does something wrong.

If you think a game does nothing wrong, then you're a fanboy. Plain and simple.
I agree with this, nothing is perfect. I think it would be more appropriate to rephrase that to something more along the lines of: "It's the closest game to perfect in my opinion that I've ever played."

Obviously nothing is perfect and it never will be, but some things do come somewhat close on very rare occasions.
Anthraxus said:
CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK
You can actually hold the button down while attacking an enemy instead of mashing it. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the mouse. I've gotten pretty mad at friends of mine for abusing the mouse like that.

I agree though that while I enjoy Diablo (particularly the 2nd game) to some degree, it's massively overrated.

I'd probably say the main thing I like about Diablo 2 specifically is the classes. It has some of the most satisfying class abilities in any game I've seen. Unfortunately though, that's the only good point for me and the rest was lacking with extremely repetitive enemies and horribly bland environments. And the original Diablo didn't even have that good point, the classes were quite blah in it for me.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Zeckt said:
I can't agree with Baldur's gate 2 simply because those mage battles still give me nightmares, and during my awake hours whenever I think about it I shudder in a mix of terror and revulsion.
They are quite easy once you know the tricks and weaknesses of the mages.

But like i said in another post, this is the big problem with Baldur's Gate: It's not a pickup and play game. It almost invented the sentence YOU ARE NOT PREPARED before WoW did, because you need to prepare heavily for some battles, and know the weaknesses of the different enemies (FAQ's Help!!). Personally, i found several Beholder Battles much harder than the mage battles.

Anyway in case you ever return and try again, let me give you some tips ;-)

First, protective spells are key. Death Ward (Priest, immunity to kill spells), Chaotic Commands (Priest, immunity to hold, charm and mind control), Spirit Armor (Mage lvl 4, sets the base AC low, but also grants +3 to save vs. magic !!). Obviously you can only cast a limited amount of those spells, so casting them on a warrior and running him/her in works well. A dual-wielding Kensai with Haste/Improved Haste and those spells i just mentioned (plus a few more like Defensive Harmony) is close to being a one-man army.

Second of all, Breach is the most important mage spell in the game since it's what allows your warriors to do damage to mages protected by spells in the first place.

Another very useful spell is the rather lowlevel spell Animate Dead (which is both a Priest and mage spell, which means you can have both cast it). At low levels it's more or less useless. The turning point comes when your caster reaches level 15 (if i recall correctly. At least i believe it's 15). At that level, the spell summons a much more powerful skeletal warrior instead of puny undead, which hits hard, lasts 8 hours and has 90% magic resistance. Combine it with Project Image later in the game and you can spawn an army of these, which can trivialize even the most ridiculous mage battles.

There, now you're armed with the proper knowledge. Good luck ;P

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Anthraxus said:
Although i do like the BG games, their weaknesses were - no real choices and consequences and the RtwP combat. They would of been SO MUCH better if they were turn based, like ToEE.
BG Combat WAS turnbased my man. It used the turn system of the AD&D2 system. The game was realtime, but the combat system was turnbased.

Real turn-based games in general turn most people off though. You might have preferred BG that way, but most people wouldn't.

willis888

May 18, 2010
Planescape: Torment
Nordom is my favorite character from any RPG, and finding him is my favorite quest. Mechanus Cannon is the coolest spell in gamedom.

Final Fantasy 6 would be a close 2nd.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
Skyrim

Nah, I'd say both Rogue Galaxy and ME2. Rogue Galaxy is my favorite RPG EVER and ME2 because I like bandwagons.

iRevanchist

Jun 11, 2011
ms_sunlight said:
If I had to choose, I'd go for Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords.

Today.

Tomorrow I might choose something different.
Nah man, KotOR 1 all the way!