Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

OmegaZXA

Mar 19, 2010
It's too big a genre to give one answer.

WRPG: Either Dragon Age or ME1 (ME2 was too much shooter, not enough RPG IMO)
JRPG: Tales of Symphonia or Radiant Historia
SRPG: Fire Emblem 7-9
MMORPG: The Old Republic (Maybe Secret World when it releases)

Overall, I'd probably say something in the Fire Emblem series

rythter

Jul 20, 2009
personally world ends with you or castlevania dawn of sorrow, also love skyrim and terraria

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Mass Effect is my baby and will always be in my top spot for my most favorite RPG ever and my vote for the greatest RPG ever created.

'fondles the game case'

Flavio Kuperman

Dec 14, 2011
Without a doubt I'd say the original Baldur's Gate (although I liked BG2, albeit a little less), with Morrowind as a very close second. No game has evoked similar emotion or levels of immersion ffom me... in fact, no other game has come even remotely close.

Compared to Morrowind, Skyrim is an absolute meh-fest. Yeah, Skyrim might be a bit more "accessible" and has a few fun things about it, but as an RPG it fails in every possible way compared to Morrowind. I'd be hesitant to even call it an RPG... maybe an action adventure.

SuperPogo

May 18, 2011
TownTattle said:
SuperPogo said:
At least this isn't full of people saying Skyrim. Sorry to break your hearts, those who care, but yes, I tried Skyrim, and no, I didn't like it.
oooooooh you're such a rebel. I bet you get all the ladies with talk like that.
Having a different opinion in a game is not rebellion.

OT: I can't exactly judge what is the best RPG as no single RPG is utterly perfect, but I'll rule in favor of Diablo. Seemed to set examples for future RPGs and was ok to play.

KindlySpastic

Sep 29, 2010
I'd go for Dragon Age Origins. More or less every major encounter is both foreshadowed and explained, to great effect.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Western RPG Morrowind, epic landscape, hugh weapon and armor options, and very interesting story

JRPG Chono Trigger, the best game ever (I won't even listen to augments in favor of for other games) It wasn't a perfect game but for what it tried to be it was perfection.

Sk1ver

Mar 19, 2011
Vegosiux said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Planescape: Torment.

The Madman said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Being a close second.
Ditto. Skyrim may threaten but I won't know til I've finished it. Twice.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Ehhh . . Skyrim? Come on . . . best game ever . . forget RPG. Best overall game.

I never played Morrowind, but if the gameplay was anything like Oblivion, I have no doubt it was great, but I don't see it beating Dragon Age: Origins.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Ehhh . . Skyrim? Come on . . . best game ever . . forget RPG. Best overall game.

I never played Morrowind, but if the gameplay was anything like Oblivion, I have no doubt it was great, but I don't see it beating Dragon Age: Origins.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
tumultuoustibia said:
I'm putting my vote in for Morrowind. Nothing has ever felt as real and immersive as that game. I don't think it'll ever be surpassed. Any thoughts?
I played that. I found that stealing everything and selling it was so profitable that you could skip the entire game and only steal and profit, level up insanely well and max out huge without doing any quests or anything else.

After like two weeks I noticed there were quests, took one, got lost and quit.
Oblivion's main quest put me off and I always did other things instead.
In Skyrim, I'm generally completing quest lines (mainly because there's usually a nice prize at the end of each) and I can focus a lot less on what I'm doing versus what I want to do.
(No more stat tracking to min-max).

Mar 30, 2010
tumultuoustibia said:
I'm putting my vote in for Morrowind. Nothing has ever felt as real and immersive as that game. I don't think it'll ever be surpassed. Any thoughts?
Gotta agree with you OP. Morrowind takes the biscuit for me, but worthy titles also include Baldur's Gate 2, Deus Ex, Fallout 2, and the game that got me into PC RPGs - Blade of Destiny. Newer additions include New Vegas and Skyrim, but it's too soon to tell whether or not I'll be playing those games in ten or fifteen years' time.

b1aksh33p

Dec 14, 2010
KOTOR or a Bethasda RPG

Though I have sunk in A LOT of hours in Disgaea so it's a tough one to decide