Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

Guillermo Gonzalez

Jun 23, 2011
Hmmm...

That's a Difficult One.

My Favorite would probably be.... The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

i don't think i've played a game for as long as i have played Morrowind(even though my absolute favorite game ever would be Half Life 2).

But, there are others i see as candidates(no order Here):

Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Planescape:Torment
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
The Witcher
The Witcher 2 Assassin's of Kings
Dragon Age:Origins
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Fallout
Fallout 2
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Deus Ex
Gothic
Gothic 2
and a hole lot more...

EDIT: And no, No JRPGs.

i HATE them.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
As a setting, the Mass Effect series. Every part of that game immersed you in a different, futuristic world because it never left its focus of being that world.
As a game, Skyrim beats out Mass Effect due to being able to free-roam almost to the point of it also being a sandbox, while Mass Effect was much more linear.

Wolfhammer93

Nov 2, 2011
I'd like to say Morrowind but travel times annoyed the heck out of me (Oblivion probably overdid it a bit). Skyrim was a bit to oversimplified for my tastes. I'm going to say Fallout 3, I can still play that game immerse myself in it and discover new things 3000 gameplay hours later :p

Macnaa

Feb 2, 2011
@tumultuoustibia, I agree, morrowind is the greatest RPG of all time, though thumbs up for dragon age and mass effect 1+2.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
I think I'm going to have to go with Final Fantasy 6. Though there were a lot of great gems from the same era.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
My personal favorite RPG is Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer. The main game of NWN2 was alright I guess, but Mask of the Betrayer was just amazing. I would buy NWN2 just for it. Aside from that, I love KOTOR 1/2, Fallout 1/2 and Baldur's Gate 1/2.

Planescape: Torment has a great story and a great world, but it isn't very fun to play, honestly.

I would also say the Souls games (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls) but those are more Action RPG's than traditional ones. As far as JRPG's go, I love Tales of Vesperia. It avoids everything that I hate about some JRPG's and has an amazing combat system to boot.

Toy Master Typhus said:
I would like to throw in the game EYE:Cybermancy for consideration.
I never beat that game, but that was a fun game. Crazy as hell too.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Id probably have to say.... Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. I know some people will say thats not an RPG, but times change, and people need to accept it. I wanted to pick Mass Effect 2 as the best RPG, but sadly it didnt have enough cover based third person shooter combat to qualify as best RPG for me.

Id like to have picked Baldurs Gate II just pipping ahead Planescape Torment, but genre is such a fluid thing, and not really that important so Id have to class those to as FPS games, and they are because I say so, no matter how many arguments have deconstructed such baseless claims.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Well, I'm happy there aren't 9,000 posts saying SKYRIM because thats really more of a action game with RPG elements then a RPG.

Alpha Centauri said:
A role-playing game (RPG) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines

And for this, I'm going to say Minecraft, (with a few mods installed, the Technic Pack)

Starting from humble begings with nothing, to building your own mega industry around towns and exploring ruins far under ground; at the same time fighting off the waves of mobs, is great for role playing.
I agree to this.

Il_Exile_lI

Jun 23, 2010
Xaositect said:
Id probably have to say.... Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. I know some people will say thats not an RPG, but times change, and people need to accept it. I wanted to pick Mass Effect 2 as the best RPG, but sadly it didnt have enough cover based third person shooter combat to qualify as best RPG for me.

Id like to have picked Baldurs Gate II just pipping ahead Planescape Torment, but genre is such a fluid thing, and not really that important so Id have to class those to as FPS games, and they are because I say so, no matter how many arguments have deconstructed such baseless claims.
Wow, you're such a master of subtext. I don't get why people get so worked up about what qualifies as an RPG. I wasn't bothered that Mass Effect 2 had more action oriented combat; I don't play RPGs to watch stats go up or because dice rolls are so thrilling. WRPGs are about immersing yourself in a world and feeling like you have an impact on what happens. I liked the fact that ME2 was extremely well made with compelling characters in a setting I already loved from the first one with combat that was fun and entertaining, regardless of what superficial genre classifications you want to place on it. The people that hate the way the RPG genre is becoming hybridized need to let go of their preconceptions about what an RPG is supposed to be, and judge games based on what they are.

debra_ beretta

Sep 8, 2010
Hero Quest 2: Legacy of Sorasil, Liberation: Captive 2 and Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Troika forever!

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger!
Now they are available on phones in Japan.
I am soooo happy...

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Best RPG in my honest opinion?

Ether The World Ends With You, Mass Effect 2 or Final Fantasy XIII.

Might Change when Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Mass Effect 3 comes out.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
If it was purely an RPG then I'd go for Dragon Age: Origins (because we don't talk about Dragon Age II in our house) but if it was an MMORPG then World of Warcraft, every time.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
well considering the ROLE aspect of it, its undoubtebly Skyrim. I don't care if its only been out almost 2 months its the greatest game, at least greatest RPG, ive ever played.
EDIT: And you can bet your ass im not affraid to say it.