Alright kids, weigh in. What is the best RPG yet made?

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
I'd say Skyrim is near, if not at the top. Innovation be damned its just a fun and beautiful game.

Although, Dragon Age: Origins is a good competitor. I don't really feel like the ME series is in the same genre. Its like an action RPG hybrid.

Also, Honorable Mentions -

Deus Ex
Dragon Warrior series
The Witcher 1 and 2
Early Final Fantasy
Vanilla WoW (c'mon, you know it was good)

wurrble182

Jul 20, 2010
ff9, not before or since have i cared about every single character in my party and been so satisfied by a games ending.

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
I'm assuming you mean RPG as in game where you can level up and gain experience in the process of completing the game, unlike every other game where you play a role (see: every other fucking game ever) My personal favorite is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Don't look at me like that, it's creative, it's fun, and it doesn't take place in space, ancient whenever, or a land where any person born without hair the size of a skyscraper and a color other than red, brown, or blonde are immediately put to death. I love a game like that sometimes, loving Skyrim, loved Fallout 3, but I like creative and new worlds.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
it's disturbing how little comments mention Skyrim. every detail, object, backdrop, etc looks like a handcrafted masterpiece on it's own, it's amazing how great the visuals look. the gameplay is W00000T awesome, flows perfectly and victory against enemies always gives the player the ultimate satisfaction a nordic warrior can feel in battle. the leveling up system is a bit new for bethesda as opposed to how they've done the other elder scrolls and fallout games; using certain skills levels up that skill, and earning an overall level up grants you to choose a perk which rewards you with noticeable material gain. this is extremely rewarding for the player and makes every game experience different from the last or the next, unless you're Rain Man. sure, there are bugs here and there that require batches, and bethesda has a nasty habbit of releasing games with those bugs, but they're still quick about getting those updates and patches when they need to. in addition to that, DLC has been confirmed to be coming to Skyrim, and if Fallout 3 and new vegas taught me anything, it's that bethsda makes damn good DLC.

need i mention dragons and memes? it's been a while since i've seen a dragon in a game, (probably because i spent all my time before skyrim playing gears of war 3 and halo, but back to the point) and Bethesda did a damn good job of making some seriously epic dragons. Skyrim has also generated abnormally large amounts of memes and inside jokes like those hilarious fus ro dah videos, "arrow in the knee", sweet roll theif, and more to come. now 3 memes is by no means a large amount, but compared to other games, well, it's the one of the only games to have it's own memes. i've honestly never seen a meme from Mass effect 1 or 2, dragon age: origins, fallout 3, or much anything. Skyrim and other Bethesda games also have editing modes (or something, i dunno how it works) for their games for PC gamers, which allows the gamer to have even more fun outside the game.

Flawless and near addicting gameplay, hopes for what will be exciting DLC, a devoted and growing fanbase, and arrows in the knee are what make Skyrim the best RPG so far. fuck link to the past.

SKYRIM IS TEH BEST GAMES EVARZ LOLOLOLZ

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
SciMal said:
The Madman said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
My choice, too. Probably close to my favorite game of all time. I've played it about once every other year for the heck of it. To this day it's still my favorite RPG of all time. A huge cast of characters, lots of flexibility, and a personal fave - the best romance I've ever played in Jaheira (particularly if you download a few mods to speed things along). It takes a strong, confident woman and makes her vulnerable, then shows her healing process and her search for a new person to co-exist with. I remember the gal from Mask of the Betrayer being pretty darn good for a romance as well, up until the slightly confusing end. DA:O makes some decent efforts, but it's ruined when you realize that simply buying your SO gifts is the easiest way to move the romance along.

Too many games rush the interactions between the characters, making it seem like a lot more time has passed in-game than it has. A quest or two for most NPCs, and suddenly the narcoleptic half-dwarf is opening up about how his mother was turned into a vampire and he had to slay her by burning his father-vampire-master.

Then there are some that just don't make any effort to have many social interactions at all. Here's looking at you Skyrim. Granted, I wouldn't mind if I could tramps around in an amulet and suddenly get the interest of gorgeous brunettes and blondes after finding their car in a parking lot, but c'est la vis!

BG2 and ToB, depth and great gameplay (when the PC wasn't insta-killed by the Lich, anyways)! <3 <3 <3
Absolutely right you are! real games are felt with the work that was used during their creation and freedom of choice inside the gameplay mechanics!

ps: slight correction required in "C'est la vie"

Flavio Kuperman

Dec 14, 2011
honestdiscussioner said:
I never played Morrowind, but if the gameplay was anything like Oblivion, I have no doubt it was great, but I don't see it beating Dragon Age: Origins.
Not. Even. Remotely. Close.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Skyrim is my favorite rpg, and in my opinion the greatest rpg I've ever played.

Morrowind is a close second.

Fallout: New Vegas is the greatest already written rpg. (Whereas Skyrim and to a lesser extent Morrowind let you write the story, NV has you just enjoying and already written one)

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
I want to say Dark Souls, since everyone calls it an RPG, even though its a dungeon crawler with stats and other various numbers, but I am not going to, especially since I have not even played Demon's Souls and cant give a reasonable answer.

WynneL

Feb 23, 2011
Noelveiga said:
It took Skyrim's sheer quality to snap me off from the feeling that Morrowind and Oblivion were just tiny splinters off Daggerfall's huge map.
This is my opinion precisely. I always wanted them to focus more on quality than size (it really ISN'T the size, it's how you use the size you've got! As a woman, I can say that without sounding defensive, too. ;P) Skyrim's a huge step in the right direction.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.

If you disagree with me, I will fucking end you.*

*[sub]Kidding! :p[/sub]

Runners up being the Fallout series in general, Skyrim, and FFX.