Alt+Escape: 1066: The Game

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Alt+Escape: 1066: The Game

How would the Battle of Hastings have turned out if you had been in control of the campaign?

Read Full Article

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
It's a bit tricky to start with, but it's a damn good control system when you get it down properly! Good find!

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
"Our English readers can enjoy playing through this pivotal moment in their own history, as we celebrate totally kicking their ass."

I swear revenge one day! though it does look fun I've got to try it.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Tons of fun! One of (if not the) best free turn based strategy games. Great find!

P00dle

Feb 1, 2009
Fun yeah, but hilarously easy when you understand how to play.
I played the story on medium (maybe my strategy wont work on hard)
First match: Played as good as i could, used like three taunts totally, got ranking foot soldier
Second match:pLayed better, used some actual tactics with focus on archers, got ranking chief something.
Third match:Used only taunts. ONLY! i won with no casualties even before the opposing army was close enough to even hit me.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
*sigh* I just lost The Game =/

But in all seriousness, I'd try it.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
fun game, oh and i did enjoy the end joke, capital!

i would like a better game about the whole queen vs. president time, right now i could swear the war was won by capturing the queens flag or by the usual rts mode, that me and three farmers took over the entire country.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Ollie596 said:
"Our English readers can enjoy playing through this pivotal moment in their own history, as we celebrate totally kicking their ass."

I swear revenge one day! though it does look fun I've got to try it.
the north shall rise again!

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Well it's fun but the creative taunts get repetitive seeing as there's only about 6 or 7 and the computer cheats and manages to hit my army everytime with it's archers and when I try to support my team the shot goes either way off or hits the enemy and my guys, with me taking about double casualties

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Interesting, I would've thought this was going to be Warfare 1944 but hey, this was pretty good. Although, what do you need codes for three levels for?

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
hopeneverdies said:
Well it's fun but the creative taunts get repetitive seeing as there's only about 6 or 7 and the computer cheats and manages to hit my army everytime with it's archers and when I try to support my team the shot goes either way off or hits the enemy and my guys, with me taking about double casualties
Yeah, the archers seem impossible to use when the enemy move within half a mile so I've just taken to using the archers for taunting (which seems somewhat overpowered to me)

An interesting game though: very well made, and with some nicely innovative ideas. Just doesn;t quite work fully IMO.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
I played through this when it was linked on RockPaperShotgun, and it was fantastic.

And as far as archers go, I never had an issue, and I found that the AI missed more often than I did. Once two lines were engaged in battle though, I stopped trying to use the archers on them, because they're so close together, it's not worth it anymore.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Xandus117 said:
I'm probabley not going to play this, since I own Medieval 2: Total War.
Haha, yeah, that's totally what it makes me feel like playing. It's basically turn-based Medieval 2: Total War in your browser.

Dorstlesser

Jun 28, 2009
[edit] ok I didn't know there were vikings involved.

+ won all battles by only taunting. no bloodshed. silly game.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
The title of this article made me lose The Game.

Very much enjoying playing 1066, however. Not fully implemented well but for a browser game it's pretty well done.