Alt+Escape: Every Day the Same Dream

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
I know this is an odd thing to ask, but what exactly are all the steps?

Aside from that thought, excellennt "game." It really makes you think about the things you can do to break up the pace a bit.

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
SteakHeart said:

Aside from that thought, excellennt "game." It really makes you think about the things you can do to break up the pace a bit.
I believe they are:

1. Go to work, work in the cubicle.
2. Jump off the building
3. Go with the hobo to the graveyard
4. Pet the cow
5. Show up to work in your underwear

Didn't understand the ending, but the game was fairly interesting

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
Say Anything said:
SteakHeart said:

I believe they are:

2. Jump off the building
4. Pet the cow

But where's the cow?

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
SteakHeart said:
Say Anything said:
SteakHeart said:

I believe they are:

2. Jump off the building
4. Pet the cow

But where's the cow?
You have to get out of your car and walk off-screen, not sure if you have to be in your underwear or not, but I was.

EDIT: Also, catching the leaf was DEFINITELY one of them, so I'm not sure which one isn't. Maybe it's the cow, or maybe it's showing up in your underwear. Not sure.

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
Is is just the one ending? I looked around, tried going back after I saw, well, you know, but before it happened, and though everything was silent there was nothing new to interact with and the car blocked my way back home.

Florion

Dec 7, 2008
Cleril said:
TheMadTypist said:
Is is just the one ending? I looked around, tried going back after I saw, well, you know, but before it happened, and though everything was silent there was nothing new to interact with and the car blocked my way back home.
Just one ending because that goes with the messages the game says.

In my interpretation....no matter how different you make your life, your going to die (jump, in this case).
I thought he lived the most when he was trying to break things up. It's too bad he ran out of things.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
I found it pretty good, didn't much understand the ending, but seeing as the stock seemed to crash, it might make sense.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Okay, now this was good.

We really need more games like this; simplistic, yet functional and thought-provocative above all.

What else is there to say? The final day really hits the nail home and the monotonous music highlights excellently the emptiness of the 'protagonists' life, even when the player tries to break the routine.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I'm not sure what to call this. Experimental gameplay? Interactive storytelling? Art? Sandbox?

Either way, it's really bleak but lovely.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I like my games more... gamey. But I'm not complaining to much because I didn't have to pay anything for it. But if I did I'd be angry.

... sorry The Path...

Xorghul

Jul 2, 2008
Say Anything said:
SteakHeart said:

I believe they are:

1. Catch the leaf.
2. Jump off the building
4. Pet the cow

There, fix'd it:)

And I absolutely love it. Especially the soundtrack. Where can I get it?

Nov 9, 2009
This game sucks! There's no storyline, no sence of accomplishment or anything remotely interesting. I spent 5 minutes playing with this (with the sound off; because the music almost made me kill myself) then got to the end to watch some character fall of a roof and die, when I'd done it and survived :S I have no idea what this is trying to achieve and seems like the game for a bad romance novel where a depressed man commits suicide after being left by his wife!

The Big Eye

Truth-seeking Tail-chaser
Aug 19, 2009
Reminds me of Don't Look Back, and The Company of Myself (both games on Kongregate). I am quite fond of the style, personally. Less game and more art. It's good to push the boundaries of the medium from time to time.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
I like this game. It really encourages you to break the habit. Even the small things, like just leaving on the alarm. It was also quite haunting how you were alone after finishing all those 'steps'. No wife, no homeless guy, no traffic, no cow, no boss, no colleagues... except one. I didn't quite get that ending, though.

This game did make me think about the reason and purpose of games. Isn't escapism one of the purest form of gaming? The urge to break things up a bit? That's the reason for gamers, or at least for me, to see what a game allows you to do. Break the habit by running over a kid who was just walking down the street. Stand and do nothing when the terrorist opens fire on you. Or indeed, jump off a tall building.

It seems that the more a game sinks into a rut, the more satisfying it is to break free. And when the game shows not a government agent, an assassin, an infiltrator or a superhero but just a regular guy, the rut in our own lives becomes even more evident. You can't shoot aliens in real life, so you can do it in Aliens vs. Predator. However, when you wake up in the morning you are very well able to go to work in your underwear. Although this time your boss might inquire as to where your pants are, rather than your tie.

But we don't go to work in our underwear, and we don't leave traffic to pet a cow, even though we can. That's what makes this game so intriguing. Why don't we break the habit once in a while?

It just makes me want to go, you know. Disappear. Get on the train or the plane and don't look back.