Alt+Escape: Every Day the Same Dream

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
From the ending I got that was the guys dream, as the name of the game implies the dream to just escape from the monotony of it all even through death.

ReVoLT

Jan 15, 2009
To be honest I thought this game wasn't very artistic at all, whilst the look and feel were good, I just didn't feel anything there

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
birkalo said:
This game sucks! There's no storyline, no sence of accomplishment or anything remotley interesting. I spent 5 minutes playing with this (with the sound of; because the music almost made me kill myself) then got to the end to watch some character fall of a roof and die, when I'd done it and survived :S I have know idea what this is trying to achieve and seems like the game for a bad romance novel where a depressed man commits suicide after being left by his wife!
That's hardly a brilliant attitude for a "game designer" to have. We all have to be open to ideas. Such non-commercial works as this don't really have to worry about being bound by a linear narrative.

The game definitely made me think and the final "step" was slightly depressing. Perhaps the emptiness of the area during that stage could be attributed to the companiies downfall. Maybe it was the town's main employer.

thermo1

Dec 10, 2008
EnigmaticSevens said:
Hmm... Orpheus?

Yes, the game was glorious, and the ending was... priceless.
can you link that game i would like to play it please

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
thermo1 said:
EnigmaticSevens said:
Hmm... Orpheus?

Yes, the game was glorious, and the ending was... priceless.
can you link that game i would like to play it please
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/alt-escape/5849-Alt-Escape-Dont-Look-Back

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
neat. i'm starting to like these little indie flash games...

ending was weird/powerful. watching your former self die....

Abcxyq

Jan 3, 2010
Mind = Blown

TheTygerfire said:
I just went out in my underwear and pet a cow. That is anything but a normal day.
...That's not a normal day for you?

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
Actually the monotonous routine of adult life has been portrayed in games. The Sims series does this really well too, but at least you can fast forward that game. I was interested in seeing what the elevator lady was counting down for, but it was so slow watching the guy walk that I didn't bother when there were only 2 steps left.

October Country

Dec 21, 2008
Really great game, thought provoking if not very entertaining. During the final level and after the ending I just sat and stared at the screen. It was rather sad, but nice to see something different.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Dannie said:
j0z said:
like this game, but I am stuck on the last step I have to do :(
Maybe you have the leaf left?
That's what it was, I should have know it had something to do with it. Thought it might have been the TV, but never could get anything to happen with it.
Thanks for your, rather late, help.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
birkalo said:
TBF I was open to the idea when I read the review (because I then played the game) and I thought that the concept was good (changing things alters the outcome) but when I play a video Game I expect to be entertained; but in this I wasn't. I honestly don't see any point to this game, a lot of things "make me think" but I have to do enough "reading between the lines" and "deeper meanings" in my English Language Lessons. I also think that the message behind the game is atleast a little deep, and in my other comment I may have been a bit harsh, but at the end of the day even if you have a good concept and a good message... The game can still suck, which is what I was saying.
Not all games have entertainment as their purpose. Like I said, games also provide a means to escape, and the more monotonous the world you escape to is, the more satisfying it is to break the habit. But if you don't like games that encourage a different way of thinking, that's just a personal preference. Doesn't mean the game sucks.

Saul B

Feb 9, 2009
birkalo said:
This game sucks! There's no storyline, no sence of accomplishment or anything remotely interesting. I spent 5 minutes playing with this (with the sound off; because the music almost made me kill myself) then got to the end to watch some character fall of a roof and die, when I'd done it and survived :S I have no idea what this is trying to achieve and seems like the game for a bad romance novel where a depressed man commits suicide after being left by his wife!
Don't hate. It was more art than a game, and if you don't like it, don't post.