Alt+Escape: Every Day the Same Dream

MrGamer

Nov 18, 2009
I loved this game. I read somewhere that the ending is supposed to raise the question: Was I watching myself or was I last in line?

madmatt

Jan 12, 2010
odubya23 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Mr Thomsos said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
neat...but not as epic as this
"It is said that in the final days of planet earth everyone had bad dreams.
To the west and the north of that world.The human race did gather in celebration of a pagan right to banish the cold and the dark.
Each and everyone of those people had dreamt of terrible things to come.But they forgot, because they must. They forgot, their nightmares, of fire, and war and insanity. They forgot, except for one......"

A cookie to anyone who can name it!
Doctor Who and The End of Time

anyways, it a real neat game! i really liked the visuals and message behind the game!
A cookie is given! :X
For using Google?
i proclaim those who do not recognise this by sight alone "non-geek" or perhaps "partial-geek". It is an interesting concept for a game most certainly

Penitent

Oct 25, 2008
SultanP said:
Actually the monotonous routine of adult life has been portrayed in games. The Sims series does this really well too, but at least you can fast forward that game. I was interested in seeing what the elevator lady was counting down for, but it was so slow watching the guy walk that I didn't bother when there were only 2 steps left.
But one thing which this accomplishes in a way that The Sims shrugs aside is the viewpoint of monotony, and it imposes this through an intensely powerful atmosphere coupled with the scripting. We're slaves, machines, thoughtless drones without any dreams or instincts of our own. How this game reinforces that limitation drives you to want to break it - and therein, I feel, lies its true strength.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
Penitent said:
SultanP said:
But one thing which this accomplishes in a way that The Sims shrugs aside is the viewpoint of monotony, and it imposes this through an intensely powerful atmosphere coupled with the scripting. We're slaves, machines, thoughtless drones without any dreams or instincts of our own. How this game reinforces that limitation drives you to want to break it - and therein, I feel, lies its true strength.
Yeah, the atmosphere did strike me as being really amazing. But you know from the start what you are getting in to. The Sims, however, is just as cruel as life. You start it up thinking you're going to have a blast, but when you get to the actual game, its just monotonous and boring. To some, at least. If we're going by best "life simulator" The Sims win in that if you don't go out of your way to prevent it. You're going to end up in something resembling "Every Day the Same Dream".

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
It certainly isn't a "fun" game, but I enjoyed it anyhow. Interactive art, with cool style and music.

Davey Woo said:
Hmmmm. I don't get it.
I went to work the first day, the next day I jumped, then I woke up again...

Don't really understand this game.
It does seem a little strange that you can get fired or leap from the building and just go right back to work the next day, but I guess that's explained in the title. I think it could have ended better, though. Not that I mind that the end is depressing, just that it doesn't seem to fit: am I to assume responsibility for the fate of my co-workers due to my absentee-ism/shirtlessness?

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
It was the best game I have ever played. Not because it was entertaining, but because it sent a message.
What a depressing life some people live...

krak6

Nov 17, 2009
Really enjoyed the experience and I loved the ending to. Definitely sticks in your head long after playing it.

Flukey

Feb 17, 2009
CloggedDonkey said:
I don't quit know how to launch it. can I get some help.
I have the same problem. I click the link and get a black screen. I tried following the link to the game from the website and I still just get a black screen. Is this supposed to happen? Am I missing something?

thermo1

Dec 10, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
thermo1 said:
EnigmaticSevens said:
Hmm... Orpheus?

Yes, the game was glorious, and the ending was... priceless.
can you link that game i would like to play it please
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/alt-escape/5849-Alt-Escape-Dont-Look-Back
Thank you very much!!

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Flukey said:
CloggedDonkey said:
I don't quit know how to launch it. can I get some help.
I have the same problem. I click the link and get a black screen. I tried following the link to the game from the website and I still just get a black screen. Is this supposed to happen? Am I missing something?
that happened to me once, but I managed to get it fixed by trying again. if it keeps going, I have no idea why.

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
Wow, my life is like just like this game but worse since there's no wife at my apartment and there are only two people in my office. Thanks -_-

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
That was really good... The bit with the cow was startling because for a few goes I didn't even realise you could even get out of of the car, let alone go into the middle of a field and pet a cow. In your underpants. neato...

Also, the ending was outstanding.

Ramen n' MaltLiquor

Jan 20, 2010
I... uhh...ummm am at a loss for words, excuse me, I have to go self harm now.
that is by far the most depressing... uh... game? I have ever played.

dangitall

Mar 16, 2010
That was a great game, in my opinion. It doesn't have all the "Guns, violence, and all those things that attracts me into playing, but I have enjoyed it. Knowing that I'm only 13, I still have lots of years before living up to the characters sadistic experience.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
I find it interesting that trying to interpret the ending of the game probably results in a different view of its meaning depending on the order in which you completed your steps to new-personhood.

Personally I did everything else before jumping, so when the world was empty afterward I assumed it was some sort of purgatory/hell follow-up to the character's death, right up until finding myself again up on that rail. Was I forever jumping off the rail? Was everything leading up to that just a memory, a flashback, in the fall? Was the entire dream a fabrication to console myself in the afterlife, trying to convince myself I'd lived something of a real life with a wife and a productive job, when the reality was that I'd lived in an empty world, always alone?

I imagine if I'd jumped first, then come back to find everything still "normal" and gone on to complete the other steps I'd have been wondering more about alternatives like those some other posters mentioned above about possibly inspiring others to jump, or the entire world being equally depressed, or something.

Fair choice of music for this, though if I'd taken another couple of minutes to finish I might've had to mute it. Not that it was bad - it just looped too quickly.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I wouldn't even watch a movie about an accountant, and playing this game is even more boring. The controls are accurate, but that doesn't really matter as you don't do anything but go to work. Oh sure, you also visit a graveyard, put your hand on a cow, catch a leaf, and commit suicide, but is it really worth it to play this depressing ass game? Not for me. I'd rather play box office bust or even big rigs than this piece of crap. Even once I get to the ending, I get no reward for it. The game just resets, and then you go through the same damn routine again. Philosophical crap or not, this is probably the most boring game in existence and I'd sooner stare at a beige wall for an hour than play through this again. I'd rather have fun.