Alt+Escape: ImmorTall

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
SamuelT said:
...Not impressed.

Sorry, but I saw no great meaning in it. Yeah, something protects a small family and dies, but that happens everywhere. Just because it's set to a monotone music doesn't make it deep.

First time expressing negativity on the internet. God it hurts...
Isn't that all any art does? Hold a mirror up to reality?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I didn't really get "game" out of this, as much as "short film". Yes technically there is gameplay, but it's fairly minimal, and not really impacting the "message" so to speak.

But to be fair I've never been a fan of "artsy" games. But they usually try and be games at least like "don't look back" or "The Company of Myself" (both of which I enjoyed). If they only focus on the message and minimize the game aspect, then it makes me wonder why make it a game at all.

Take for example if this game had none of the music, atmosphere or graphics that it dose. then make it a bit more of a generic game, like a an arcade kinda thing, where there would be levels and a score system for how few hits your "cargo" took each level. I can't speak for everyone but by removing the message like that the game becomes extremely boring and repetitive. To put it another way a game has to succeed as a game first before a story or message.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Danny Ocean said:
SamuelT said:
...Not impressed.

Sorry, but I saw no great meaning in it. Yeah, something protects a small family and dies, but that happens everywhere. Just because it's set to a monotone music doesn't make it deep.

First time expressing negativity on the internet. God it hurts...
Isn't that all any art does? Hold a mirror up to reality?
Yeah, I worded that poorly. I meant that there are a lot of (either flash or mainstream) games where you have to protect something. This was almost the same, only now there were small puppets and music generated by your footsteps.

I just thought it a bit odd to have this compared to Today I die and the one whos title escapes me at the moment.

Eh, even so, art is whatever you think is art. I have to right to say 'that's no art!'

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
Not sure I like the lack of grieving from the family, or even a small gesture other than tears. Surely the sacrifice was worth more?

Unless it was the creators plan to make us see the family as cold people, willing to believe they're worth the selfless death of a brave stranger and use this to hold up a mirror to the innate sense of self in society.

Alternatively, it's late and I'm thinking far too much into this. As this is most likely, the music was nice.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's interesting how time slows down when there are threats around, making every bullet or bomb intercepted a more intentional choice.

I like it.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Hmm... Different combination's of people living generates different endings. The first time I played they all died except for the girl, who just sat down beside the dead alien and waited there until she herself died of hypothermia or something. Then the second time I played I saved all four of them. The father ran off on his own after the alien died while the family stayed to mourn. The boy left after crying a bit but the mother and daughter stayed and stood over the alien for a long while before leaving as well.

It takes a bit of imagination and assumption but the simplistic story has the potential to become very deep depending on individual interpretation.

Feb 18, 2009
Kajin said:
Hmm... Different combination's of people living generates different endings. The first time I played they all died except for the girl, who just sat down beside the dead alien and waited there until she herself died of hypothermia or something. Then the second time I played I saved all four of them. The father ran off on his own after the alien died while the family stayed to mourn. The boy left after crying a bit but the mother and daughter stayed and stood over the alien for a long while before leaving as well.

It takes a bit of imagination and assumption but the simplistic story has the potential to become very deep depending on individual interpretation.
There´s also the possibility to walk back to the spaceship. Every ending creates a slightly different kind of story (if one can get past the "Wait, this isn´t a game" -mentality).

To be honest, though, walking back and forth the countryside grew tedious very fast, so I haven´t tried out every possible ending. The game is unique in that the experience is really vivid only the first time around, when you realize what it´s about. To me, it wasn´t very interesting any more the second time.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
darkknight9 said:
I understand the point being made, but c'mon... if the people are sad that the alien died protecting them at least have the common courtesy to bury the poor guy...
Cgull said:
Not sure I like the lack of grieving from the family, or even a small gesture other than tears. Surely the sacrifice was worth more?

Unless it was the creators plan to make us see the family as cold people, willing to believe they're worth the selfless death of a brave stranger and use this to hold up a mirror to the innate sense of self in society.

Alternatively, it's late and I'm thinking far too much into this. As this is most likely, the music was nice.
Well what more do you want? A funeral? War is happening all around them and they're running for their lives. They don't have time to grieve. They'll have time to grieve when they can be sure that they will also have time to live. If you think they don't grieve properly for the alien, then just let someone die during the course of the game, and see how they grieve for each other. The survivors carry on as best they can, but every now and then they're overcome and have to stop to mourn their loss, even as bombs are dropping and bullets are flying. If you think it's sad when you save everyone, just see what happens if you fail to protect the parents, but the kids survive. Now that is depressing..

The one problem I have is at the "good" ending of the game, the one in which the alien is the first to die. The family mourns the fallen alien, each one staying a different length of time. But when one member of the family decides to move on, they simply run off and leave the rest behind. Even when it's down to just the mom and the little girl, when mom stops crying she walks right past her little girl, and doesn't stop to so much as put a comforting hand on her shoulder, much less take her hand and keep her from being left alone in the snow. That's messed up.

I really dig that the strength of your "bullet time" ability is based on how good of a protector you are. If you actually let someone die, it sucks.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
BrainWalker said:
I really dig that the strength of your "bullet time" ability is based on how good of a protector you are. If you actually let someone die, it sucks.
I loved that part, the more that die, the less he really tries, it's sad then as the rest slip away easier and easier...
I love these depressing pseudo-games!

Xanadeas

Oct 19, 2008
I tried to play it earlier today on Kongregate and decided to ditch it. I really only play browser based games when I intend to multi-task.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
I like games that engage the mind, but they need to actually be games or offer real interaction.

This isn't a game. If you play it as a game you'll finish with everyone alive first time and its pointless. You have to fail at least once for it to have any impact.

Add in irritating music (which is acknowledged by the mute key being flashed at you just seconds in) and your left with visual style and a playable metaphor.

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
You cant go back to the ship. But, you can live happily ever after.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2457/happilyeverafter.jpg

or

http://tinyurl.com/ykz9egf

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
There´s also the possibility to walk back to the spaceship. Every ending creates a slightly different kind of story (if one can get past the "Wait, this isn´t a game" -mentality).

To be honest, though, walking back and forth the countryside grew tedious very fast, so I haven´t tried out every possible ending. The game is unique in that the experience is really vivid only the first time around, when you realize what it´s about. To me, it wasn´t very interesting any more the second time.
Really? I can't walk back to the ship. I get to the little ditch and can't walk any further.

I really can't be bothered trying out all combinations of survivors, but I really liked the first playthrough anyway (the entire family survived. Go me). I hope there are a lot more games like this made, just simple little things that nevertheless offer a a degree of emotional impact.

Generator

May 8, 2009
I enjoyed it while I played it, but I doubt I'll go back through to find out every possible ending. It was sad and kind of a neat little flash "experience" (rather than game), but it also lacked the puzzle-solving aspect of Today I Die. Seemed a lot more like Every Day, which isn't a bad thing, just not as perfect as Today.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It did occur to me somewhat later that the alien's sacrifice would feel more meaningful if we were led to believe that it actually meant the family's ultimate long-term survival.

Haywire

Mar 19, 2009
i didnt want to keep trying to block at some point. I could see the alien was dying and it felt more like i was forcing him to sacrifice himself than anything else

p.s. war suxxxxxxx

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
This game..... officially depressed me, and I managed to keep them all alive...It's like. He crashed there, and was stranded, and the family took him in. Then he repaid them the best he could, and gave the most precious gift we all have.... This is truly one of those things, where the imagination makes it more powerful than any Hollywood script could...

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I'm sorry, even though I liked Today I Die and Every Day The Same Dream I just can't find any real meaning in this one. It's a pretentious attempt to have meaning that fails.

I enjoyed Passage in 10 Seconds [http://www.kongregate.com/games/raitendo/passage-in-10-seconds] more.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
hyperdrachen said:
Clicking on this link got me a bogus anti-virus redirect
More than likely there's a virus in your computer that's doing that. I had one that did much the same thing once. It is kinda ironic to put a virus on someones computer to sell Anti-virus software. Kinda like having to pay the mob "protection" money.