Alt+Escape: ImmorTall

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Alt+Escape: ImmorTall

They come in peace, we choose to make war: Who says browser games can't be poignant?

Read Full Article

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Wow... Such emotion in such a simple game. I think those types of games are my favorite. Truly argues the fact that games are, indeed, an art form.

Thank you, Funk. Made my day a little better with this.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Holy crap, I haven't been able to play more than 30 seconds of it and I was touched by it... this is really an impressive work.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Wow. I just played this a second before seeing the article.

But yeah, pretty much what Gxas said.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
I quite literally just played this.
Found the ending odd but expected, reminding me of things such as Everyday the same dream like you mentioned.

More than worth a quick playthrough.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Gxas said:
Wow... Such emotion in such a simple game. I think those types of games are my favorite. Truly argues the fact that games are, indeed, an art form.

Thank you, Funk. Made my day a little better with this.
Totally agreed. Just had a go at it myself and I really find its like a piece of art.

Evidence why games should not be bannedNot at all!

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Wow... such a short, yet affecting game.
Quite a contrast to Sushi Cat from last week, yet both are brilliant in their own way.
*Goes to play again*

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
i think its about how a hero grows taller in history, making him immortal, and yet alien

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
I think it's an an analogy for Jesus. It came down and endured the pain that would have been ours.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
Mullahgrrl said:
Damnit, I can't bare this game! I lost them and i cant fucking bare it!
I know. While the family is still alive, the alien seems heroic, though he's slowly dieing. But after they're all gone, the alien is lonely and pointless. He still walks, but he has nowhere to go.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
My alien ended up dying and the ending was really depressing.

I think one bullet hit someone.

It was a really good game, going to play it again soon.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
...Not impressed.

Sorry, but I saw no great meaning in it. Yeah, something protects a small family and dies, but that happens everywhere. Just because it's set to a monotone music doesn't make it deep.

First time expressing negativity on the internet. God it hurts...

Feb 18, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Wow... such a short, yet affecting game.
Quite a contrast to Sushi Cat from last week, yet both are brilliant in their own way.
*Goes to play again*
Stylistically, these two are my absolute favorites as of late. Coincidentally, both have very little in terms of game play, but that doesn´t seem to matter. Delightful little snacks, that have a long-lasting taste.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
That was... sad.
Saved everone, which made it even more sad.
Although I've just got the good ending on Bishock 2, so I'm probably not gonna commit suicide right now.

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
Umm... perhaps its my age, the fact that I have a son, or maybe the American in me peeking out but none of the adults were trying to protect the alien or the kids. The kids could at least have carried an extra ammo can so mom or dad could have been able to reload...

???

I understand the point being made, but c'mon... if the people are sad that the alien died protecting them at least have the common courtesy to bury the poor guy...

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
darkknight9 said:
Umm... perhaps its my age, the fact that I have a son, or maybe the American in me peeking out but none of the adults were trying to protect the alien or the kids. The kids could at least have carried an extra ammo can so mom or dad could have been able to reload..
Not everyone owns a gun. I know the game looked like typical rural USA (and the military certainly acted like USA!), but it was so generic it could've been the British Midlands. You'll be lucky if a local farmer will have a single rifle.

Yeah, the 'family' behaviour was a bit off, but generally, cowering before tanks it sound advice. Also, they were kind stuck on their 2D plane with regard to avoiding being shot, so rather tricky, but I feel this may be over-analysing the "game" part of an interactive fiction which is primarily aesthetic, guiding a simple narrative.