Alt+Escape: Scarygirl

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Alt+Escape: Scarygirl

Scarygirl is psychedelic, compelling, endearing, and the sort of browser game Tim Schafer would make, if Tim Schafer made browser games.

Read Full Article

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Tim Schafer and Tim Burton if you ask me.

A lot of Tims really.

It's got a great look and it's a lot more interesting than your average platformer.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
What? Yes, I managed to wipe my post before hitting the Post button and can't be bother to retype it all. Amazing how such a mishap can really suck the life out of you.

But anyway, playing through this now, very well produced indeed, with a charming little opening sequence.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
Great art, annoying music, awful controls. Perhaps it would be fun if it were released as a console platformer, but as it stands... I found it nearly unplayable.

Florion

Dec 7, 2008
<3 Alt+Escape is my favourite Escapist feature.

Scarygirl, although filled with fun things and pretty pictures, is frustrating because I keep dying when I try to get all the fishies and shiny-things. =\ It's so hard trying to train myself to ignore them and get through the level! And the platforming is awful. But I'm determined to finish this. Does anyone know how many levels there are?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Even having the browser version, I'd gladly shell-out $10-15 for this on X-Box Live just so that I could use a controller for it. Another thing I think this game really needs is more than two buttons, this isn't the NES here. Having Spacebar act as Attack, Interact, Super Jump, sometimes regular jumping... and probably a few other functions, just doesn't really work.

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
It's a good game, apart from one issue: the bugs. At level 7 (the second area in the woods), the game becomes literally unplayable, with frame-rate drops, moving platform refusing to move despite the character moving. I want to play more, and yet the game just won't let me

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Great level design and the visuals are great but the gameplay is broken. The controls are pretty awful and its often extremely difficult to determine which bits of the level you can jump onto.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Even having the browser version, I'd gladly shell-out $10-15 for this on X-Box Live just so that I could use a controller for it. Another thing I think this game really needs is more than two buttons, this isn't the NES here. Having Spacebar act as Attack, Interact, Super Jump, sometimes regular jumping... and probably a few other functions, just doesn't really work.
As far as browser based games go, simplicity is best. Generally, you can only press two buttons at once, unlike with console gaming. Already Scarygirl is too complex for a keyboard, considering you can't press a space bar up and left/right at the same time, to perfectly execute a high jump to the left/right. You can do it if you release the space bar quickly and shift to the direction buttons, but it's not convenient.

I can't believe anyone would be willing to pay $15 for this.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
CantFaketheFunk said:
Scarygirl is psychedelic, compelling, endearing, and the sort of browser game Tim Schafer would make, if Tim Schafer made browser games.
Schafer himself may not make browser games, but his company Double Fine does. [http://www.doublefine.com/news.php/minigames]

I recommend Tasha's Game. [http://www.doublefine.com/news.php/minigames/Tashas_Game]

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
One of my favorite browser games ever. That opening cinematic is mind-blowing for even a $60 game, the art is fantastic. I love it!

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Standard Comment: Great design, brilliant concept, awful controls, even for me who still loves the first Super Mario Bros. and THAT had some pretty bad controls. At least those were consistent and you could tell where the platforms ended though.

I see a bit of Psychonauts influence, especially in the colorfulness and quirkiness of the universe, and of course the main character is this sort of outcast freak that gets her little group of friends - I guess a 2D psychonauts is the best comparison here. Just fix up the controls pleeeease ;)

the antithesis said:
Schafer himself may not make browser games, but his company Double Fine does. [http://www.doublefine.com/news.php/minigames]

I recommend Tasha's Game. [http://www.doublefine.com/news.php/minigames/Tashas_Game]
I love just refreshing the game until I get a suitably awesome name for it. My latest was "Tasha's Eternal Kat Bros. Perfect"

I always meant to come back to this to get all the hats. maybe I will now.