Alt+Escape: SteamBirds

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Alt+Escape: SteamBirds

It's true: World War II is better with nuclear-steam-powered flying machines.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
hehe. Kinda fun.

Good for a few moments distraction! Go go battle for the skies!

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Turn-based air combat isn't new, but Steambirds does have a nice elegant implementation and a slightly interesting Sci-Fi pretense.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
It's pretty nice and I liked its implementation of turn-based combat. I also liked shooting down a giant armored dirigible. (Or failing to do so, anyway.) The emphasis on alternate history events is a plus for me.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
got to the 3rd to the last one. you get 2 friken planes vs 2 planes, a big plane, and a really big plane. to put this in perspective, a level 3-4 levels ago had you with 3 planes facing just the really big plane.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
that was quite fun.
missions plenty doable, challenge is 4-staring them.
a hotseat MP mode would be kickass.

Popcicle42

Feb 25, 2010
Awesome game! It reminds me of Crimsons Skies; not the Xbox game, the board game. (Does anyone remember it? Fun times!) Similar history-bending, and turn based movement where everyone moves at the same time. It's long out of print now, but if you can find the FASA original somewhere, buy it! My copy I bought off Ebay for around 65$...

Eric the Orange said:
got to the 3rd to the last one. you get 2 friken planes vs 2 planes, a big plane, and a really big plane. to put this in perspective, a level 3-4 levels ago had you with 3 planes facing just the really big plane.
Oh, and don't forget. You start that level with all those planes behind you!

NotHisRealName

Jul 15, 2009
It's quite a nice game to play. A bit hectic at times with so many planes to worry about, but it works well.

Chasmodius

Rogue Commentator
Jan 13, 2010
MR T3D said:
that was quite fun.
missions plenty doable, challenge is 4-staring them.
a hotseat MP mode would be kickass.
Wow, I agree. Multiplayer would be awesome!

WafflesToo

Sep 19, 2007
I third teh Multiplayer option!

This kind of gameplay was first done in the Critical Mass series by Sean O'Connor (which was way harder to score hits in as you had to plot firing your weapon systems ON TOP OF plotting your moves in advance).

http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/critical.html

It's nice to have full control over your whole squadron, and I love the addition of the special abilities.