Alt+Escape: When The Bomb Goes Off

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Alt+Escape: When The Bomb Goes Off

You have five seconds left before the nuclear apocalypse. How do you spend them?

Read Full Article

MiloP

Jan 23, 2009
Some of these mini-games are awfully cruel. Ended up with 60% on my second go.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
pretty old game, people whit stumbleupon may allready have played this 9 times on 4 different pages, also 80%

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Im going to give it a go. If you cant find a game for next week I suggest Cyclo-Maniacs. It wont load on my laptop but works for everyone else so I suggest giving it a go.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
That was to say the least weird, it was fun and warranted at least two playthrough but it appears so futile and it could've been WAY artsier..

Feb 18, 2009
That was a peculiar little game. It doesn´t seem so bad to be evaporated by a nuclear explosion, if you can use your last five seconds petting a cat or offering that cute girl a drink. I learned something today.

By the way, I didn´t quite manage to read the graffiti, because of the end of the world and all, but did it say "Cave Story Sucks"? I feel a bit angry now.

BWIceSoldier

Nov 25, 2008
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
By the way, I didn´t quite manage to read the graffiti, because of the end of the world and all, but did it say "Cave Story Sucks"? I feel a bit angry now.
That's what it said. It actually made me laugh a bit when I managed to read it.

I played the game several times, but some of the scenarios require very precise movements. After half a dozen (I really didn't count) tries, I managed to get 93%. A rather odd game.

Generator

May 8, 2009
36%. Seemed a bit long for what it was, and it was a bit repetitive at points, but I enjoyed it. I especially liked the guy who used his last 5 seconds before death to kill himself.

Edit: 2nd time: 43%
3rd time: 70%
Don't think I can do much better than that.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
"When you think about it, that's ... pretty much what an actual nuclear attack would be like. You'd be going about your daily life, minding your own business, and then ... a blinding flash, searing heat, and finally nothing at all."

nobody taking an itch in this?

this is among the most stupid statements I´ve ever seen!
Like: hey, do you want to launch a nuclear missle today? Ok, I am bored anyway.

I still find THAT scene in T2 or The Day After 80ties movies absolutely silly!
(and a blatant LIE about the TRUTH of the why and how Horror but this is offtopic)

Come on! - War is a LITTLE BIT more complicated and even so for launching nuclear stuff. Even for the US.

Such an Scenary could just grow inside the paranoid brain of a dumbo.

A actual unannounced shooting killing spree in a Mall or School would be closer to reality -
and is much more of a problem.

...and oh yes the game: gameplay has been blown, too.

ThisWasAWaste

Aug 7, 2009
BloodRed Pixel said:
"When you think about it, that's ... pretty much what an actual nuclear attack would be like. You'd be going about your daily life, minding your own business, and then ... a blinding flash, searing heat, and finally nothing at all."

(and a blatant LIE about the TRUTH of the why and how Horror but this is offtopic)

Come on! - War is a LITTLE BIT more complicated and even so for launching nuclear stuff. Even for the US.

A actual unannounced shooting killing spree in a Mall or School would be closer to reality -

...What...? If you're saying that nuclear attacks could never happen, then sir, I believe you are the dumbo. If that is what you're saying... (likely, no; possible, yes (it actually has happened before... Hiroshima & Nagasaki anyone?))

Ygfi

Jan 4, 2009
TBH, if i had 5 seconds to live (and was aware of it) i'd just sit there stunned mullet.

HvD

Lord of Dragons
Apr 16, 2009
If I had 5 seconds to live before a nuclear apocolypse I would sit back and enjoy the fireworks, cause they don't get much bigger than that.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Feversaint said:
BloodRed Pixel said:

...What...? If you're saying that nuclear attacks could never happen, then sir, I believe you are the dumbo. If that is what you're saying... (likely, no; possible, yes (it actually has happened before... Hiroshima & Nagasaki anyone?))

That´s NOT what I am saying.

Those two happening just strengthen my position. Japan was not a pieceful flowerfield by that time. Most f Tokyo, Hiroshima & Nagasaki, etc. have been destroyed to the largest part.
So the stike came unexpected to a refugees, survivors and wounded, homeless refugee people fighting to stay alive in bunkers at best.
It did not come unexpected to a families sitting on a glorious tea ceremony or children merrily playing on the fairground. That´s the scenario I oppose.
The Japan Nuclear Holocaust which is the only real scenario we have so far was indeed unexpected.
I´ll give you that. But they also never knew they had 5 last seconds in first place, also.

When it comes this far, to have 5 last seconds it will be more like...
...wishing for match to light the darkness in the bunker you´re in. Whishing for some water to drench the constant thirst that plagues you since days.
A single Aspirin to ease the pain from your amputated arm. A Single gesture of understanding from someone to give you back your humitiy taken by the horror you have seen in the days of war BEFORE that.

Not like having your last air guitar play in Square Garden with Aero Smith.
That´s what I am saying.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Even after playing some of those puzzles several times I found myself clueless as to what to do. Others just not nearly enough time. Damn you'd have to be right on quick. My average is about 50%.

sirtommygunn

Aug 21, 2008
BloodRed Pixel said:
When it comes this far, to have 5 last seconds it will be more like...
...wishing for match to light the darkness in the bunker you're in. Whishing for some water to drench the constant thirst that plagues you since days.
A single Aspirin to ease the pain from your amputated arm. A Single gesture of understanding from someone to give you back your humitiy taken by the horror you have seen in the days of war BEFORE that.

Not like having your last air guitar play in Square Garden with Aero Smith.
That's what I am saying.
I don't think the people in the game know these last 5 seconds are their last ones.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
BloodRed Pixel said:
Personally, I'd rather there was an "unannounced" shooting spree in a school/shopping centre than a nuclear strike on my home soil. Well, obviously if the option to have neither was there to have neither, I'd go for that, but given the choice between a shooting happening somewhere or a nuke hitting, I'd rather the former happened.

Also, not really certain how a shooting can be seen as a bigger problem than a nuclear strike. A community will probably recover from a shooting a lot quicker, for starters.