Altered Allegiance

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Uncharted 2, Forza III, Brutal Legend

You didn't have a choice to play those on PC if I remember correctly.

Chaos Marine said:
I can not see any point at all about this article. You're giving up on PC gaming. Okay. Who cares?

I believe the term 'Cool story bro' would sum up my reply pretty succinctly.
I'm pretty much in this boat. I don't understand what you were trying to say with this article.

This was basically "I played a lot of PC games, but now I don't play as many."

So...?

Dr. Gorgenflex

May 10, 2009
I was a console gamer and I made the switch to a PC gamer. Now my wii and xbox 360 collect dust as I play all my games on my PC. I don't understand why one would take a step back into the realm of mediocre console gaming.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
I'm a PC gamer. I own a 360. I buy games suited best to either or, such as Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed for the 360 or Borderlands for the PC. Heck, I've got Oblivion on both.

My point is this; who cares what's on the up or down? As long as they continue to make games for both I'll be happy. It allows some artistry via the canvas.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Furburt said:
I'm tired of these fucking 'PC is either dead or redundant' articles I read everywhere. I moved from consoles to PC in 2005 proper and have never had a better gaming time. There is no good reason why both consoles and computers shouldn't live together rather than being horrible enemies. I have no problem playing games that have also been released on consoles as this writer seems to have for some reason.
Quite so...

That said, its a sad time for the PC gamer - after all, the money isn't with us anymore - its with the Wii and its ilk. Other consoles probably are on the same degree of cash.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
This thread is ridiculuos

Gamers play games, not consoles

People watch TV programs, not the TV itself.

Play games for the games not for which console they are on. There's no need to say certain games with a 90 metacritic rating are crap because they are simply on another console.

Just pick one that is suitable to your budget, if you have a lot of money, buy everything, if not pick one and stick with it

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Doug said:
Quite so...
SNIP
That said, its a sad time for the PC gamer - after all, the money isn't with us anymore - its with the Wii and its ilk. Other consoles probably are on the same degree of cash.
Thats kinda the point though... this article is not saying PC gaming is dead or dying, its saying (as you just did) that PC gaming isn't where the money is anymore.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Yet another chance for me to not understand the PC gamers point of view. I never got why it was considered that some games belong "here" or "there", apart from RTS which makes sense if only due to the low number of good game for the genere on console.

But that "rule" was killed by Halo Wars and EndWar, both of which were easy and fun. I was I could understand, but I don't think that I do.

Dobrev said:
So you've bought 6 games in the past month. I'd say that puts you more closely to the yahoo moms than the core of PC & console gamers.
Hang on, are you saying a person who spends what could be around $700 on games isn't close to "the core of PC & console gamers"?

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
heyheysg said:
This thread is ridiculuos

Play games for the games not for which console they are on. There's no need to say certain games with a 90 metacritic rating are crap because they are simply on another console.

Just pick one that is suitable to your budget, if you have a lot of money, buy everything, if not pick one and stick with it
This.

I really don't get the whole "I'm a [insert platform here] gamer, and all others can suck it!" attitude that people take. If you do that, you're missing out of great games. If I want to play Wipeout, I pull out my PS3. If I want to play Banjo Kazooie 3, I'll pull out my XBox 360. If I want to play whatever was just released on Steam, such as World of Goo, I'll go to my PC. If it's a multiplatform game, I'll weigh up the pros and cons, such as price, practicality, performance issues on PC, if any, and achievements (yes, I like my achievements. They make me feel like I've achieved something, in a Pavlovian sort of way) and will make my purchase based on that.

PC gaming has been in decline ever since developers realised it's less lucrative, what with mods and pirating and all, but I doubt it will ever die. That said, there are still plenty of exclusives for PC, and the graphics are usually better, assuming you have the right equipment, so I doubt they'll ever "die". Consoles are more renowned for their "pick-up-and-play" accessibility that is oft touted by the developers, due to their being designed specifically to cater for gaming (although recently this scheme has deviated slightly).

All in all, it comes down to what games you want to play. Some games are better suited to some platforms, some others. Console fanboys are a strange, outlandish sort of denomination in my books.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I prefer PC. I would take a shoddy port over a console game any day of the week, because the precision and versatility of a mouse and keyboard are that much better for me. Besides, I love Digital Distribution and, especially, indie games. PC wins there in spades. PC will never die because it is just the downright best place for trying new ideas and user created content. Sure, it will be a bit on the back burner. And yes, a gamer is a gamer is a gamer, regardless of there platform. What is going to happen is that PC will make that comeback. Not a dramatic one, mind you: consoles and PC will become more and more compatible, and as games continue to become mainstream, indie games, games like the Sims, and MMOs will become more and more staple. PC will carve out a small but insurmountable niche. They will always have there place, and im glad. The fact that it's even debatable shows that enough people love there PCs that it will remain profitable. Its like a Kevin Smith movie: Might not top the charts for record sales, but it has a solid fan base, and has the option of an innovative with shoestring budget approach that guarantees that it will be stable, and rake in more cash then it puts out. Besides, the older I get, the more I gravitate towards the creative, unique, cheap indie games out there being made by brave new designers. I don't think I'm the only person like this. So set the doomsaying aside, we are all going to be just fine, and we will all be even better tomorrow.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Dobrev said:
So you've bought 6 games in the past month. I'd say that puts you more closely to the yahoo moms than the core of PC & console gamers.
Really, I mean considering new games are expensive I say buying 6 games in a month shows that someone is a gamer.

Woem

May 28, 2009
From the article:
I concede that 1995-1997 were probably the last golden years of PC gaming
Thinking about it, I have to agree with you. I would add 1999's Planescape: Torment as the final breath.

MiodekPL

Apr 5, 2009
Ok - find me a flight-sim and a good RTS on a console. There's no such thing? That means that there's nothing of interest on consoles for me, so I'll stick with my PC then. Wake me up, when there will be some more complicated console games, because there are only dumbed down no-brainers at the moment.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
elvor0 said:
This is the attitude of the majority of people who play games these days, I long for the days when gaming was a shut in thing, at least then we could rely on Devs having to be creative given the majority of players were geeks, and we're extremely critical bastards, so they had to make a great game or else be shunned for evermore, these days bring out a shiny game that's shite and the Nu-gamers will eat it up, given they seem to have a pleasing factor of that of an excitable magpie.

and i've gone massively off topic, screw it Imma be late for work if I try to get back on track ><
For every million people that buy a really pretty shitty game, 10-20 million people don't.

It isn't that gamers these days like shiny graphics. It is that there is another group of people who will buy anything that is shiny and are thusly easier to market too.

Basically the gaming developers know that it is easier to make things pretty than to make things good.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks it is sad that the standard bearer for PC gaming is a game that really takes no risks and it's only real achievement is that you needed a computer from six months to a year in the future to actually play the thing at a decent frame rate?(Crysis.) Am I the only one who is saddened by the fact that all Id could come up with to showcase the new Id Tech 5 engine was yet another shooter, which I am willing to bet will require a computer from six months in the future just like Crysis? Think about it Id and Crytek spend hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars and thousands of man hours to create their respective engines and all they have to show for it are FPS'! Consumers are supposed to believe that this is really cutting edge for the platform when these games play exactly the same as the other billion and one games in the genre even down to the weapons and their models?

Earlier someone made a list of various games and all I can do is laugh at it. It's supposed to be awesome to be awash in console ports after you spend close to half a grand to make sure your machine can handle games that will be coming out soon? That is about as weak as an "Xbot" saying that the 360 line up for 2009 hasn't been flat-lining save for ODST because of a bunch of multiplatform games. I wish PC devs would stop playing it safe with FPS' and MMO's and make a game like God of War or DMC that is built with the PC in mind. Instead of trying to get people to upgrade because of "Ultimately Generic Shooter Number Ten Trillion" why not make a game that really shows what a PC can do by taking a real risk and going with a genre not traditionally associated with the PC outside of console ports and ancient games like the Jedi Knight games?

If I did not already want Windows 7 because I do Windows based programming, and my Xbox 360 had not decided to give me what I now believe to be a "warning" RROD I never could have justified bothering to get a RadeonHD 5770 which I hope will arrive sometime this week. I could not justify in my own mind spending somewhere very close to 400USD total to upgrade right now in order to play wave after wave of the same games I could play on either my PS3 or Xbox 360.

Others have said that the PC market is or has become a niche market. I agree, but I have to say that it has or is becoming so for some of the dumbest reasons I can possibly think of. Lack of genuinely pushing the available technology (No ramming more polygons onto your screen does not count.), lack of ability to justify the initial expenditure for gaming purposes for many people considering what the standard bearers actually are, and most importantly lack of creativity/balls/stones on the part of developers to get away from the staple genres a bit. Which just leads to a sense that the market on the platform is a desert where next to nothing is happening. (Not necessarily true, but it is the perception that matters.)

Edit: RTS a genre that seems to be predicated on keyboard spam (Which is the reason that it has not yet actually worked on consoles yet.) doesn't say much about what a PC is good for since the easy solution is to just let players use a keyboard and mouse on a console. Something ridiculously simple to fix since all of the three current gen consoles have USB ports. All it would require is for the developer to simply give up trying to make it work on a controller.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
My one response to the OP is this:

"So your reason to abandon PC games for console games is laziness. Good work, you just lost all of your integrity."

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Armitage Shanks said:
Doug said:
Quite so...
SNIP
Thats kinda the point though... this article is not saying PC gaming is dead or dying, its saying (as you just did) that PC gaming isn't where the money is anymore.
...?!

No, no I didn't. Note the word dying inside a pair of " s.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
There is an awful lot of these articles and it kind of boils down to the same thing: the writer has an opinion and then proceeds to write as if that opinion is accurate fact. Just because the games that you favour are appearing on the console doesnt mean the PC platform is dying out (or at least as dramatically so as you've implied), it just means that your tastes have changed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and its not a case of altered allegiance. Someone posted above:

heyheysg said:

Play games for the games not for which console they are on.
That to me is exactly the way it should be viewed. On top of everything else, in this day and age consoles are becoming so similar to PC's in their set up that the once clear line between them has changed and become blurry.

I wouldn't get so hung up on what you choose to play on but I would reflect a bit longer on whats actually changing here. Overall though, good topic - nicely written and so on. :)