Alternate history scenarios you've never seen that would be interesting to explore

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
What if the Dark Ages never happened and science and technology was more advanced theses days because it wasn't repressed and the church hadn't gotten so much undeserved power?..

or maybe a time line where the stuff that happened in superhero comics really happened?.. imagine seeing the news at night on TV and finding out that the Hulk went on a rampage in NY city or that the Teen Titans had a massive battle in downtown San Francisco and caused millions of dollars wroth of damages.. a world where this stuff happened so frequently that most people have simply gotten use to it and seeing Superman fly through the sky while talking to Iron Man would make someone go "Oh there's Superman and and Iron Man.. wonder what's on TV tonight?"

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Hmmm. Not sure. I would definitely like to see where our knowledge would be if the Great Library of Alexandria wasn't destroyed with everything in it and if the Islamic Golden Age had persisted with all the academic progress they made before it declined.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
What if Foo Fighters (strange lights fighter pilots saw during WW2) were Ufos? As in, imagine if aliens got involved to stop WW2?

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Esotera said:
One of my favourite alternative histories is a world where the Roman Empire didn't collapse, and continued until the modern day. Basically there was never a dark age so technology is more advanced, and the world is united under one leadership. But there is also the backdrop that non-Romans are not necessarily liked, and there are still slaves. I believe someone wrote a book based on this premise.
It is one of my favourites as well, but in all honesty I doubt we'd have reached the same level of technological and scientific innovation we have now had the Roman Empire not fallen. This may be surprising, but if you look at how science as a philosophy emerged you may see my point. After the Roman Empire fell, and following the "Dark Ages" and the "Middle Ages" there was an attempt to re-discover the lost knowledge of the ancient world that was the Roman Empire, this period being known as the Renaissance. What Renaissance scholars started to find though, once they critically examined the works of ancient philosophers, was the ancient Greeks and Romans weren't right about everything. This triggered something of a crisis in knowledge (which is the historical context behind Descartes and his "I think therefore I am) and late Rennaisance philosophers sought new ways to correct and discover new knowledge for themselves. Rather than relying on gaining knowledge from solely ancient books, natural philosophers started to find things out for themselves by doing observations and experiments, this evolved into what we would recognise as science, and underpins the radical technological advances we have made in the past 300 years or so.

Roman civilisation was certainly advanced, but it lacked the scientific philosophy that was developed centuries after its collapse. Had the Romans developed the scientific method though, we would probably have colonised Mars by now, but it it pretty unlikely they would have discovered the scientific method given the conditions needed for it to emerge in the first place.

Sleekit said:
eh "the Romans" were "a dark age"

2000 years and they virtually never advanced technologically at all.

everything they did have they basically took from others and they discarded, or even worse destroyed, everything they could not see a use for.

oh they codified stuff and they spread stuff about...but they didn't innovate.

HUGLEY overrated as a civilization....but hey they have that cool looking militaristic thing going on, they lasted a long time and wrote great histories of themselves (mostly for political purposes) so people think they are all round awesome.

you can't name one Roman inventor tho.
You're defining a "dark age" in terms of a lack of scientific innovation, you are not considering the other aspects of civilisation that the Romans excelled out. The Romans build some incredibly advanced engineering infrastructure throughout their Empire, building roads, aqueducts and sanitation systems and constructing buildings which their European descendants could not reproduce until the Rennaisance Era and in most cases didn't become as widespread until the 19th. Roman Europe, I would say, was more developed than medieval Europe, and that we only really started to overtake the Romans on most counts in the 15th and 16th century.

(And if consider ethnic diversity as a measure of development, we didn't beat the Romans on that count until the mid 20th century really...)

but the "Roman" legions that defended Constantinople were virtually indistinguishable from those of 2000 years earlier.
That's like saying that an Afgan army soldier is virtually indistinguishable from a US Marine because they both wear khaki and carry automatic weapons. The Byzantine Army in the 15th century was a spent force, mostly reliant on militia troops and mercenaries, its professional elements having been largely demobilized. With the power of time travel a legion from Ceaser's time would have gone to town on them.

solemnwar said:
There actually is a sort of steam-punk roman empire sort of trilogy out. I own the first two (haven't gotten around to book three yet). The first book is called "Cold Fire", and they're written by Kate Elliot. They're actually rather interesting! 0:
Thanks for the recommendation, I will keep an eye out for those books!

retsupurae yahtsee

May 14, 2012
What would have happened if Shi Huang Ti had never come into power, the Great Wall had never been built, the illegalization of literature of science had never occurred, and the transition from the Qins to the Hans was peaceful, rather than the wars that inspired Romance of the Three Kingdoms? Might the Chinese be traveling in spaceships and logging on to neural networks by now?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Zontar said:
Not really anything of use, but it was a steam powered device which looked nice and showed the fundamentals for how steam power works. During the Greek Classical Period. It may have taken a long time for practical application to be developed, but had the Greeks (and later Romans) looked further into the technology, either because of an academy that wanted to learn more about it or a simple man with wealth taking an interest, the idea of very basic steam power being used for different purposes centuries or even millennia before they where in real life is a scenario I'd very much like to explore. Sure it probably wouldn't realistically get to "Romans having steam powered shits" but it would be a very different world from the one we know simply from the butterfly effect.

So, what scenarios would you guys like to see explored?
I would actually love to see the Roman Steampunk idea, even if it's more of "The Roman Empire survived long enough to have an industrial revolution". It's something you rarely see.

Actually, if someone's already done this as a book/game/movie/etc, please let me know.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
SonOfVoorhees said:
What if Scientology became extremist and eventually the dominate religion?
Well, half of that is already true so it wouldn't be much of a stretch. Seriously, considering the horror stories I've heard about that organization I'm wondering how they haven't been shut down yet. I really wouldn't be surprised to learn they imprison people in black sites.

retsupurae yahtsee

May 14, 2012
I thought of another interesting alternate timeline: Newton and Halley defy the limitations of their time and discover Quantum Physics. Scientists develop the Coopenhaagen interpretation; the church is confused and angry about it, so it works to suppress all the research. All the weird shit in Quantum Physics turns a lot of great men away from science, scientists spend too much time debating relativity versus gravitons and not enough time fighting the repressive nature of Christianity, and mankind's progress hits a wall. We do not get the wonderful technologies and social advancements of the present, and are instead stuck perpetually in a Renaissance-level hellhole with a brutal oligarchy commanding everything.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
What if Foo Fighters (strange lights fighter pilots saw during WW2) were Ufos? As in, imagine if aliens got involved to stop WW2?
I highly, HIGHLY recommend you this series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Turtledove#Worldwar_.2F_Colonization

Not to spoil anything, but we get interstellar travel in the 70's.

Hochmeister

Jun 2, 2011
Ya'll should check out alternatehistory.com the site's chock full of this stuff.

I'd like to see one where the US stays out of WWI and the Central Powers are victorious. On the plus side no Nazis and possibly no USSR, but OTOH a WWII equivalent might happen when nukes are available, but before their risks are well known...

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Hochmeister said:
Ya'll should check out alternatehistory.com the site's chock full of this stuff.

I'd like to see one where the US stays out of WWI and the Central Powers are victorious. On the plus side no Nazis and possibly no USSR, but OTOH a WWII equivalent might happen when nukes are available, but before their risks are well known...
There would need to be more to it then that though, Us entry into WWI didn't change much apart from raising allied moral, lowering German moral, and making their high command throw in the towel earlier then they would have otherwise.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
The fundamental reasons why the Romans didn't industrialise is because of cheap and abundant supply of slaves and the lack of limitations of financial liability. The industrial revolution occurred because of the of two things, the shortage of labour and the creation of modern capitalism. The romans had a banking system but because of the lack limitation of liability that occurs when you distinguish between personal and a company meant that a failure of business could mean you and your family could be sold as slaves. The invention of the limited liability company meant that going into business with a new idea would not be risking your entire life on. This also reduced the power of the rich because lending now carried risk. The shortage of labour also meant that to increase production you needed to get more product made by the same person in the same time. Roman slavery means you just increased the number slaves to increase production. Capital investment in machinery was risking your freedom and did not make financial sense because the cost of just buying more slaves was lower.

Sleekit said:
but the "Roman" legions that defended Constantinople were virtually indistinguishable from those of 2000 years earlier.

2000 years !

meanwhile the Chinese were already using cannon, grenades, rockets...

no Romans would be better...this little doozy here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism holds out the prospect of ancient "steam punk" pretty well as long as they're not around to get in the historical way...for 2000 years...2000 years !
The Roman legion was gone by the end of the 5th century. The late roman army was divided into forfeited armies and field armies. Fortified armies garrisoned the borders of the empire and were based around forts with small cavalry patrols in the areas in between forts. Field armies, during the 6th century, still had infantry using legionary equipment but were not organised as legions and cavalry had become the prime arm instead of infantry. Later still the Byzantine army abandoned legionary equipment entirely and organised its infantry into regimental formations with the heavy striking power coming from heavy armoured cavalry and viking(and later anglo saxon) mercenaries. By the time of the fall of the empire, the weapons and organisation of what was left of the army was indistinguishable from any other army of the region. The Turks used a 27 foot long cannon that could fire 200kg ball about 1 mile during the final sige. This weapon was built by a German, in some sources s he was Hungarian, who initially offered his services to the empire but they could not afford bronze to cast such a weapon. The Byzantines had smaller cannons and used them effectively during the Turkish siege of 1396. Lack of funds prevented investment in larger weapons.

By the time of the fall of Byzantine empire european gunpowder weapons has been in use for a century and were already far in advance of anything in China.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Zontar said:
There would need to be more to it then that though, Us entry into WWI didn't change much apart from raising allied moral, lowering German moral, and making their high command throw in the towel earlier then they would have otherwise.
Not strictly true by the end of 1917 the French army was largely broken and had lost the ability to replace losses from fresh drafts. The British army was scraping the barrel to bring units back up to strength from the Passchendaele battle. The entering of America meant the allies would not run out of manpower before the Germans. So the German high command had window in the spring of 1918 to force a battlefield victory before large numbers of US units arrived in the summer making German defeat inevitable, just due to attrition. The US army had a limited role in defeating the German spring offensive of 1918 and the lack US troops wouldn't have made a great difference to the outcome. However the allied counter offensive would have been lacking the nearly 2 million of the US army making a German defence of the rhine vibilabe.

Hochmeister

Jun 2, 2011
albino boo said:
Zontar said:
Not strictly true by the end of 1917 the French army was largely broken and had lost the ability to replace losses from fresh drafts. The British army was scraping the barrel to bring units back up to strength from the Passchendaele battle. The entering of America meant the allies would not run out of manpower before the Germans. So the German high command had window in the spring of 1918 to force a battlefield victory before large numbers of US units arrived in the summer making German defeat inevitable, just due to attrition. The US army had a limited role in defeating the German spring offensive of 1918 and the lack US troops wouldn't have made a great difference to the outcome. However the allied counter offensive would have been lacking the nearly 2 million of the US army making a German defence of the rhine vibilabe.
Not to mention the unsecured loans that the US gave out after they entered the war without which the Entente would be in a very, very sticky situation financially. The Central powers wouldn't have automatically won if the US stayed out, but would have a darn good shot at a limited victory.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
newfoundsky said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
I highly, HIGHLY recommend you this series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Turtledove#Worldwar_.2F_Colonization

Not to spoil anything, but we get interstellar travel in the 70's.
Thanks, i will give it a go.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
albino boo said:
Zontar said:
That's true, but Germany was, even with forces from the east being diverted after Russia's exit, still lacking in numbers. Germany faced many of the same problems France and Britain did, only with one major difference: their equipment couldn't keep up. After Canadian Artillery Gunners figured out how to triangulate the location of the big guns, they had almost completely been removed from the equation when it came to Germany's defense. They where being lost at a rate to fast for them to replace. Then there's the tanks, while Britain and later France had swarms of them attacking with infantry to brake the lines, Germany had few and they where ineffective in comparison. When looking at the numbers, and taking where the brakes in the lines occurred and who did them, allied victory was assured with or without the entry of the US, the only real difference was that without the US more lives would have been lost, a few more months or years would have been needed for it to end, and I all likelihood would have ended once the tank/infantry breakthrough that the Germans couldn't recover from by moving the lines occurred.

At the end of the day, the US not entering the war would have changed the world, but it wouldn't have meant a German victory.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
I'd be interested in visiting a world where Nikola Tesla:

1. Stood up to Edison and the others who stole his inventions and was able to keep working on them.

2. Did not succumb to... whatever it was that caused him to go off the rails later in his life.

3. Actually kept proper notes and documentation of his work.

Seriously, the man did some amazing work, and scientists still can't figure out how he managed some of it. I'm not talking about some of his more grandiose claims like the earthquake machine or the death ray. I'm talking about things like the time he lit up a bunch of lightbulbs using transmitted power from a generator a hundred feet away, something that was only replicated recently, and on a smaller and less reliable scale. Think of what he could have accomplished, the technology we'd have today, if he had continued his inventions.

Another idea might be a world where various large animals were never driven extinct, by humans or other causes, like dire wolves, or the lions of North America, or terror birds. Of course, you'd have to have some excuse in place for why we didn't go out and make them extinct anyways, those things were nasty.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Couple scenarios in mind.
What if the 9/11 bombings failed and how would American politics differ in regards to security vs freedom?

What if alarm clocks were never invented and humanity still worked and slept in relation to the sun? Where would we be from a technological standpoint?

What if the only causes of death were through injury or wearing out organs in some way? Infections, mental health issues, cancers all cured?

Just a few alternatives to the war based scenarios.