Alternate Reality Game Turns Museum Into Capture the Flag RPG

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Alternate Reality Game Turns Museum Into Capture the Flag RPG

An alternate reality game launching at the Smithsonian American Art museum this month is set to make visits way more fun.

Unless you enjoy art, a significant other dragging you to an art museum can be a bit of a bore sometimes. Now that an alternate reality game called Pheon [http://www.pheon.org/] is launching at the Smithsonian American Art museum in Washington D.C. on September 18, it might be worth the trip even if Picasso doesn't float your boat.

Pheon was designed by John Maccabee and it incorporates the Smithsonian's exhibits with mission-based objectives. It has a story and everything, which follows the fictional Terra Tectan society that once lived undisturbed by the rest of humanity. When outsiders, also known as the Seers wanted in, a Terra Tectan named Vidar invoked a dark power to keep them out, becoming corrupted in the process and beginning the "war of authenticity." An online comic [http://pheon.org/intro/] tells the whole tale.

The game will pit museum goers against each other as either Staves or Knaves that must complete quests based around the Smithsonian's exhibitions and art collections, which will advance the game's plot. According to the game's launch flyer, it will require "ingenuity, your ability to make things, to text, and to find and perform." Players also earn points and can level-up from Neophyte, to Acolyte, to a Lamplight Council member. Once high level enough, you can then write missions for lower ranked players.

The goal of Pheon is to capture the aptly-named Pheon, an artifact that has the power to restore balance to Terra Tectus. It reportedly works in a similar way to Capture the Flag. The game incorporates both Facebook and Twitter features as well, and will run for one year.

This is the second alternate reality game Maccabee has created for the Smithsonian, the previous being Ghosts of a Chance [http://www.ghostsofachance.com/], which is said to be the first ARG hosted by a museum ever. I happen to be one of those strange types of people that actually likes art museums, but I like games too, so I wouldn't mind enjoying both at the same time one bit.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/09/play-capture-the-flag-with-armed-belly-dancers-at-the-smithsonian/]

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
Sounds awesome.

Good on them for thinking outside the box in order to draw in more visitors

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
i just went there a month ago, since i live far away i ain't going back any time soon.

damn...

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Wait I'm confused...
Is this a console game or are there tvs with the helmets and everything inside the museum?

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Bloodstain said:
Damn, I live in Germany...I want to see it and participate!

We need more ARGs.
Damnm, I live in Sweden...I want to see it and participate too!

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
ssgt splatter said:
Wait I'm confused...
Is this a console game or are there tvs with the helmets and everything inside the museum?
uh, no, it's a real life role play game, each person takes a role and follows the "missions" and shit

you know there's a reason why the genre is called "Role Playing Game", right? =P

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
And this had to come SIX MONTHS AFTER I took a trip to DC? I guess bad timing strikes again...*sigh*...

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
Damn, I need to get to the Smithsonian in the next year. That sounds awesome!

Note to every other museum in the world: do something like this, please.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Heh, as long as its not like Unreal and we see people respawnin g over the place with Giblets popping up!

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
teh_Canape said:
ssgt splatter said:
Wait I'm confused...
uh, no, it's a real life role play game, each person takes a role and follows the "missions" and shit

you know there's a reason why the genre is called "Role Playing Game", right? =P
No need to get snippy. When I hear RPG game, I think games like Fable 3 or Fallout 3 not things like dungeons and dragons or playing make believe.