Alucard Returns in Upcoming Lords of Shadow 2 DLC

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Alucard Returns in Upcoming Lords of Shadow 2 DLC

Players can take control of the Symphony of the Night hero when the DLC launches on March 25.

While Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 may have been getting some mixed reviews as of late, longtime fans of the series will have some extra incentive to play the game later this month. On March 25, the first DLC for Lords of Shadow 2 drops, and it features the return of fan-favorite character and pallindrome enthusiast Alucard.

Alucard, the son of Dracula, first showed up in Castlevania III on the NES, but most fans probably remember him best as the protagonist in the PS1 classic Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. In the Lords of Shadow 2 DLC, titled Revelations, players will take control of Alucard who can turn into a bat and a wolf in addition to other unique "Glaciem" and "Igneas" abilities.

The DLC is set before the events of Lords of Shadow 2 and is supposed to examine the relationship between Alucard and his father. No price has yet been given for the DLC, but it has been confirmed to release on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC versions of the game.

Lords of Shadow 2 launched in late February. Since then, developer Mercury Steam has been in the news for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132621-Lords-of-Shadow-2-Studio-Boss-One-Must-Be-Blind-or-Stupid-to-Give-It-a-4-10>taking game reviewers to task for what it feels are unfair scores. Our own review was none too flattering, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/11059-Castlevania-Lords-of-Shadow-2-Review-A-Total-Drain>giving the game a two out of five.

While not all were sold on Lords of Shadow 2, I'm certain some fans are eager for the reappearance of Alucard. What do you think? Will his return make you more likely to pick up the latest Castlevania game?

Source: Joystiq

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm looking forward to this. I need a followup to LOS2... at first I really liked it, then by the end I was disappointed. I hope they do this better than they did with LOS2.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
I'm certainly interested for this to come out =) the ending of LOS2 was a little anticlimactic, yet still quite fun to see and I like how they left things open to question "What now?". plus this gives me a good excuse to go back and finish Mirror of Fate HD to see how that story fully played out, and fill in the gaps some more ^^

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Wow. A month and already some "new" content. While I liked the game enough (although the first was much better) and look forward to playing with Alucard, I think I will hold off on buying the DLC until all of it comes out and it goes on sale.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
BlameTheWizards said:
fan-favorite character and pallindrome enthusiast Alucard.
Two things: Alucard is not a palindrome, and besides that there's only one "l" in palindrome. A palindrome is quite simply a word, phrase, or sequence that's the same forward as it is backwards. Race car, 7667, Able was I ere I saw Elba, etc.

Sorry, I have a degree in English, gotta do something with it. :p

More to the topic, I'm still debating on whether I should get LoS2 to begin with. A friend of mine is highly recommending it to me, but then again he really enjoyed the first game. As for me, there's Jim's review of the game here on the site. Then there's the fact that I got pretty bored with the first game and couldn't really be bothered playing it beyond the werewolf boss. Funny thing is, it was only when I heard that you'll be playing as Dracula in LoS2 that I went out and got the first game, wanting to be ready for this game's release. But after Jim heavily stress that they really don't do much with the fact that you're frickin' Dracula, I was pretty much turned off.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
RJ 17 said:
BlameTheWizards said:
fan-favorite character and pallindrome enthusiast Alucard.
Two things: Alucard is not a palindrome, and besides that there's only one "l" in palindrome. A palindrome is quite simply a word, phrase, or sequence that's the same forward as it is backwards. Race car, 7667, Able was I ere I saw Elba, etc.

Sorry, I have a degree in English, gotta do something with it. :p

More to the topic, I'm still debating on whether I should get LoS2 to begin with. A friend of mine is highly recommending it to me, but then again he really enjoyed the first game. As for me, there's Jim's review of the game here on the site. Then there's the fact that I got pretty bored with the first game and couldn't really be bothered playing it beyond the werewolf boss. Funny thing is, it was only when I heard that you'll be playing as Dracula in LoS2 that I went out and got the first game, wanting to be ready for this game's release. But after Jim heavily stress that they really don't do much with the fact that you're frickin' Dracula, I was pretty much turned off.
If you didn't like the first game, the reality is that you won't like the second game, just based on how early you stopped playing. Yeah, you get some more weapons and yeah there's some exploration involved among new bosses, but it's more of the same with some really weird camerawork. Also, techno-satan.

Wub wub, hail the underlord.

Sateru

Jul 11, 2010
BlameTheWizards said:
Players can take control of the Symphony of the Night hero when the DLC launches on March 25.
Yeah...no...
I'm not going to get this game even if Alucard will make an appearance, because despite how some may think... this isn't the same Alucard as the SotN version. I was never truly sold on Lord of Shadows, because of the fact that they greatly altered things in an attempt to give a new revisioning for Castlevania. I tried to give it a chance, but the combination of how they changed things, and the fact that I hate the QTEs they forced into the game really made it hard for me to enjoy it. I just don't care for games in general when they get remade and altered. It distorts a franchise that a lot of people have grew up with. Then again, Castlevania was a real mix-up between the really good, and the really shitty. The continuity of the games itself is rather... confusing. It's one of those games that has a few awesome games, some decent and memorable ones, and a few that come off as utterly WTF. Still... I can't imagine playing this one, I don't mind watching other people play it, but I will not spend a dime on it. :T

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
RealRT said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
He sure looks a lot fruitier than I remember from Symphony of the Night.
You don't seem to remember SotN very well.
He wasn't strutting around with a bare chest that's for sure. I also thought at first glance in the screen above that he was wearing black lipstick but it seems to just be lighting.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Ferisar said:
Also, techno-satan.

and let's not forget the buttwings

OT: eeeh game was cool but kind of a drag, more so than the first one
castle was awesome tho
wont be buying this DLC until I at some point decide to replay the game

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I really enjoyed Lords of Shadow 2 and I'm personally looking forward to play as Alucard in the DLC.

I do wonder how long it will be, hopefully a few hours.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Clive Howlitzer said:
RealRT said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
He sure looks a lot fruitier than I remember from Symphony of the Night.
You don't seem to remember SotN very well.
He wasn't strutting around with a bare chest that's for sure. I also thought at first glance in the screen above that he was wearing black lipstick but it seems to just be lighting.
But his face was far more feminine. Card was always more than a little flamboyant in CV.

Samael Barghest

Mar 5, 2014
I'm stocked for it. The Lords of Shadow series was my first experience with the Castlevania series and I have enjoyed it. Yeah, the second game had it fault primarily all the unblockable attacks in combat. But the LoS series is still the best. I tried playing some of the older games and they were broke beyond belief. So more Lords of Shadow content is always a plus for me.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
If he can't moonwalk his way across levels , then it can't be the one true Alucard.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Ferisar said:
If you didn't like the first game, the reality is that you won't like the second game, just based on how early you stopped playing. Yeah, you get some more weapons and yeah there's some exploration involved among new bosses, but it's more of the same with some really weird camerawork. Also, techno-satan.

oh for the love of. I was annoyed I missed the co-optional stream to remark on people saying this there too, but for the love of darkness, there's no Techno-Satan in the game. It's the Future. There's labs, electricity, advanced tech. but spoiler alert (not really, but sort of), I don't think the acolytes have been transporting technology to the underworld. It's just kinda irksome seeing people think or be led to believe the game is worse for a non-existant reason.