Am I being a stupid brat?

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
seems to me you should slap his head Gibbs style and change your steam password.
Good idea. Here's a demonstration of what to do next time he says something stupid. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqMUuOPsa0o&feature=related]

Yeq

Jul 15, 2009
I presume that, should he have succeeded in doing that, you wouldn't be able to play your game anymore (otherwise aside from possible moral issues of ripping off 2K I don't see the issue). In this case, he shouldn't have gone behind your back, or presumed to take your stuff before you were done with it/had told him he could have it.

That being said, if I was you, I would give him the game after you're done with it even if I didn't get something in return. I don't consider my friendships on a quid pro quo basis; out of decency, maybe he should owe you a favour, but ultimately it's not really in the spirit of friendship to expect something as a direct consequence of giving something.

Sep 4, 2009
Q: Stupid brat?
A: No.

Incidentally your friend is a sneak who completely ignored your wishes. Tell him to go fuck himself in a one of the bins out the back of the STD test clinic. You need a friend like that less than a dog needs fleas.

happyvampyre

Oct 13, 2009
Sharing is caring except when the other person demands that you give it to them, and then it can't quite be called sharing anymore, rather manipulation/theft. Tell him to buy his own games, the fricking bum.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
RollForInitiative said:
As a game developer, I'm all on board with you not letting your friend pirate games. Though you apparently already let him steal one of the games I worked on, so here's a hearty "go die in a fire" from me to you, pirate scum.
Why, hello dev!

So what games have you worked on?

Sorry, curiosity got the better of me.

Cimerax

Jan 10, 2010
Tell your friend to get a fucking job, make his own fucking money, and buy his own fucking games.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
No, I have moments like this (as we all do) when I'm deemed unreasonable when I think it's them who is being unreasonable. No you're not a brat, you're just sick of people mooching off of you.

muffincakes

Nov 20, 2008
Disaster Button said:
Also worth mentioning is that he doesn't consider this stealing. He used the analogy that I should 'share my chips' with him instead of throwing the rest away. Which I think means that as I've already paid for it so giving it to him will not inconvenience me and I should give it to him.. I really hate his analogies.
Allow me to correct this analogy for you. You buying multiple games that he then downloads for himself for free without asking is not like sharing chips. Instead think of it as buying lunch every day for a week, and instead of getting his own lunch, he saves all of his money and eats part of yours without asking you. That is what he is doing now. Just a few chips is one thing, but this has happened more than once, so it's closer to him eating half of your seven-course meal.

So to answer your question, no you are not being a brat, he is being a thief. He is also trying to manipulate you into giving him what he wants, which also makes him an ass. Solution A: Never share again and be adamant about it; B: Find new friends.

Death on Trapezoids

Nov 19, 2009
well, from one point of view that's YOUR game that YOU payed money for, and he has no right to it. From another point of view, you are helping out someone who probably won't buy the game anyway. His "chips" analogy is interesting. Is he a really good friend? Becuase there is a difference between a friend and a less-rude-than-usual leech.

EDIT: I think it has been said before, but his "chips" analogy would be more accurate to the slovenly roomate who knows your safe combo, and eats half of the chips without asking, along half everything else in the fridge.

Chummychanga

Dec 7, 2009
First of all, you don't pay £26 for chips and download them to your computer.

And your friend is being a bitchy school girl. Tell him to fuck off and buy his own games.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
You win this round. No one should be expected to borrow from their friends. It's something they earn. You say no he should respect that

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
Its your money dude, if u already bought it then share, if he's buying games behind ur back, beat the shit outta him boi!

Eekaida

Jan 13, 2010
Being poor is no excuse - I'm poor, and I don't steal from my friends. We lend each other games/books/dvd's etc when we're done with them, or we play/watch them together. The thing to focus on here is that you told your friend no, and he did it anyway, regardless of any expense on your part. Tell him to buy his own fucking chips. If he wants them that badly, he'll save for them.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
Nope, make the cheap bastard buy his own games. Or, better yet, make him give you something in return.

I trade games with my friends all the time, but I'm not about to give them hand-outs.

Also I'm pretty sure what you're doing isn't technically legal as far as Steam is concerned.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
If you don't want him getting free games because he doesn't return the favor: you are not a brat.

Tell him to get his own games, he's the brat for thinking he can mooch free games from his bro.

Motti

Jan 26, 2009
The fact that s/he isn't asking and that s/he keeps on doing it after you asked him/her not to? Yeah that makes him/her the brat, not you.

Funkbucket

Feb 11, 2010
Don't worry, everytime i get a new game, about 3 days later it'll leave my house with a friend wanting to borrow it..

Your friend is being childish,
just change your password

no free games for him :)