Am I being forced to buy a new CPU after the death of my LGA 1150 motherboard?

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
Hi everyone!

So recently my MSI B85-G43 motherboard died (would boot up for a second then shut down and continue in this cycle indefinitely) and I'm currently in the process of sending it back for a replacement or a refund - most likely a refund, as this motherboard is no longer on the market.

My concern is that this motherboard had and LGA 1150 CPU slot on it, which my i7-4790K CPU fits into. I've been scouring the web for a while now and I honestly just can't seem to find any decent gaming motherboards with an LGA 1150 slot anymore. I understand they must be outdated now, but does this mean that if I don't get a replacement for my motherboard and simply get a refund that I must not only buy a more expensive LGA 1151 motherboard but will also have to buy a whole new CPU just to fit this new motherboard?

Is there any way around this? Does anyone know anywhere I can still get a good, reliable LGA 1150 gaming motherboard? I'm just a bit worried that I'm going to have to go a few months without a PC while I wait and save the money to buy a new CPU, which I don't really want to do since mine is fairly recent and good!

Any help at all here would be appreciated really, thanks guys

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
You can buy them fairly cheaply on eBay here in the UK.

Does it have to be a gaming branded model though? Check out if other versions have overclocking enabled, it would open up more for you to look at.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
A quick glance of Ebay shows lots of Z97 motherboards available in ATX, mATX and ITX sizes. Plenty of MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte mid-high end boards available.

If you're really pressed for budget you can also use the 4790k in a Z87 motherboard, but that may require firmware jiggery pokery to make it work, Z97 is a much simpler bet.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Motherboard choice is almost meaningless aside from what sockets it has available. Any decent consumer grade motherboard with appropriate sockets will do you just fine, unless you're planning to run SLI or are running with more than four RAM cards for some reason. Just go onto Gigabyte or Asus's website and see what they've got.