Am I still a gamer?

ISawAFish

Mar 15, 2010
It only just hit me, I haven't played a single video game in 8 months. Earlier this year my 360 fell off were it was standing and got smashed. Since then I haven't even been to busy and to poor to try and repair it or buy a new one so I haven't really been gaming. But for some reason I still browse the escapist and other gaming sites and still have a strong interest in gaming. So does that make me a gamer or just someone who likes games?

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I think that saying that a "gamer" is anything more than "someone who likes games" is a logical fallacy.

Soraryuu

Aug 16, 2009
cnaltman62 said:
I think that saying that a "gamer" is anything more than "someone who likes games" is a logical fallacy.
How about "someone who plays games as a hobby"? That's my favorite, anyway.

ISawAFish

Mar 15, 2010
Yes but I like games, I just don't play them. That's like calling my self a guitarist simply because I like guitars when I don't actually play one.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
If you love the medium that is the videogame, then yes you're a videogame enthusiast, I ain't a fan of the term 'gamer'. Especially if you want to play them again, but are hampered by outside influences. Everyone has that some times.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
I've always viewed a gamer as "someone who games." So... hm. It seems like you'd be gaming if you could, but at the moment, I suppose you technically aren't a gamer, at least by my personal definition.

Hope you find the time and money to get back into the gaming hobby, though, m'dear.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
your a gamer mate. don't worry i went through years before i could get a console. but i stilled loved games.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
ISawAFish said:
Yes but I like games, I just don't play them. That's like calling my self a guitarist simply because I like guitars when I don't actually play one.
Well are you never going to play a game ever again? If it's just a case of "you aren't gaming now" then it's kind of irrelevant. All those rules about what makes a gamer is just bullshit by people who want to put themselves up higher than other people cause "they used the Contra code when it was new" or some equally meaningless bullshit... plus I bet none of those fuckers would know what you do with a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle.

Emissary Laito

Jun 15, 2010
No, real gamers wouldn't use consoles.
-trollface-

I consider myself one and rarely play games at all, so I don't think you need to worry about it. Fairly meaningless title anyway in my opinion.